Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: K447
I presume the new power supply will be quite adequate for your computer, but somehow I doubt the entire machine uses even half that much power, even at peak load.
I'm sure you are right, but I'd rather have more capacity than I need than be right on the edge of having not enough.

I was mistaken in an earlier post in this thread when I said I had two 2TB drives. I have one 2TB drive and two 1TB drives, plus the SSD. The computer shop brought all of my old hard drives over into the new machine, not just the 2TB drive. So maybe a 600W power supply isn't totally overkill, particularly when I start firing up USB peripherals.

Well, USB ports deliver a maximum of 5 watts or less, per port (original style USB ports were only 2.5 watts per port, but the newer stuff has higher max ratings). Most USB devices are spec'ed to only need the smaller 2.5 watts since that was a common upper limit (and if they needed more they used those three headed USB cables).

Big hard drives need maybe 10 watts per drive? Depends on the model, of course. 35 watts for all four drives?

Plus your main board, CPU, video card, etc. If you add it all up I suspect the total for your machine will be one side or the other of 100 actual watts DC power consumption.

All that said, PC power supplies are often sold with power ratings on the box label that exceed the realistic in-service capacities.

Just found this via Google. Plug in your stuff, see what it says smile

Edited by K447 (29/04/2014 22:00)