Hi.

I'm hoping that, in all the diverse fields that makes up the readership of this BBS, there is someone who could answer a question for me: Where can I get a relatively cheap (ie < $100-150) PCMCIA video digitiser card?

I have a problem, you see. I need to do some portable video grabbing work, and would like to use something reasonably modern, like a computer, and not spend a fortune. I have two nice laptops, and no decent way of getting video into either of them. I can get a USB video input device (crap quality and slow, every one I've tried), perhaps two different makes of PCMCIA videoconferencing card (expensive, and not easily available), a firewire card and firewire external digitiser (expensive to very expensive, but good), or a PCMCIA to PCI bridge with a PCI digitiser (digitiser dirt cheap, external PCI box unbelievably expensive.)

I find it irritating that the cheapest method of using a computer in a mobile application for grabbing live video is to go the route of a desktop box with LCD monitor and a cheap grabber card. At the moment, it's either that or a portable VCR and composite monitor, and do all the work later.

I'm sure that there must be a better, neater way, but I can't find it.

Any ideas, anyone?

pca

Opinions expressed in this email may contain up to 42% water by weight, and are mine. All mine.