bo, bad breath and farting arent damaging to the next person tho, when compared to smoking, are they... other than the unpleasant factor. so in that respect i can justify laws against one and not the other.

being a nonsmoker i tend to rejoice at the non-smoking notices i see in food establishments, and other public areas - and i do find smoking unpleasant to begin with, but i have no problem with smokers who are 'considerate' about what they do - like mentioned here, going outside or out the back to have a smoke... not leaving butts and ash all over the place, and so on. i think that really is the most you can ask from any decent person who also smokes.

the problem really would stem from establishments that offer no control whatsoever over smoking, or those that promote it even. ok, so you cant help that if youre in a bar or a club, well i guess smokers there can tell nonsmokers to go get stuffed... as the majority of people in those places would (i guess??) be smokers anyway? but i can live with that section of 'public areas' crossed off from my list of comfortable zones. but if you have to put up with that wherever you go, like trying to go into a donut shop to buy a sugar donut, and coming out a walking ad for marlboro, i think thats a bit too much.