Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#103802 - 08/07/2002 20:52 Grrr. Ebay Delema
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Well there were 2min left before i won this auction then i got canceled by the seller with this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1363304680

my bid was was $147.50, i emailed him and this was his what he responded with.

because i decided to list it at a fixed price - it'll be back up soon enough
at $199 like all the other pairs on eBay

I feel this is unfair and explained it to the seller, and he responded with this

It is COMPLETELY within the user agreement. I have verified it on many times
with them myself so I guess you have to just deal with it - or I can just
block you from bidding.

dose he speak the true or is he just a scam? and if so what actions should i take, i cant find anywhere on ebay to report it to them. It just dosnt seem right, 2min before it eneded and he canceled it, right before i was going to win. It dosnt even give me the option to leave negative feedback.

Thanks

#103803 - 08/07/2002 21:03 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
DeadFire
addict

Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do. I have bought tickets on eBay before. The rules are very specific on this matter. I live in Massachusetts; the laws about reselling event tickets are even more strict here.

I know you are hit the worst because you would have won. But if he decided that he wasn't going to sell them for less than $199, that is what he should have listed them at in the first place... not $9.99 just to get people's attention.

His only transgression was the low initial bid, which he very well knew might mean he wouldn't get as much as he wanted. Ticket resellers make a business out of screwing people over by buying up the tickets before fans can get them... and then ridiculously overcharging for them. They are not limited to selling them on eBay.

#103804 - 08/07/2002 21:08 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
drakino
carpal tunnel

From the eBay sellers FAQ

Can I end my auction early, without selling to the high bidder?

To end your listing early, please follow the steps below. If there are no bids on the auction listing, you may skip step 3.

1. Click on the "site map" link located on the Navigation Bar. Scroll down to the "End my auction early" link and click on it.

2. On the next page, enter your User ID, password, and the item number, and click on "Continue".

3. If there are bids on the item, you will see two choices. The first is "Cancel bids and end listing early". The second is "Sell item to high bidder(s) and end listing early". If you wish to end the item without selling it to any bidder(s), please select the first option and click on "Cancel bids". If, however, you wish to sell the item to the high bidder(s) for the current high bid price without waiting for the listing to end on its own, please select the second option and click "Sell item".

4. If there are no bids on the item, or if you choose to cancel the bids on the item, you will be prompted to select a reason for ending the item early. You can finish ending your listing by clicking on "Continue".

5. If there are bids and you select to sell the item to the high bidder(s), you will end the listing at the current high bid price by clicking on "Sell item". You will then be instructed to contact the high bidder to complete the transaction.

If you canceled the listing without a high bidder(s), you may qualify for a listing fee credit. Please send the information listed below to our Billing Team, and they will be happy to review your request.

* The item number(s) of the ended auction(s)

* Your seller's email address or User ID

* The reason for your request

Please send this information using our online webform

It sucks and seems deceptive, but is allowed.

#103805 - 08/07/2002 21:11 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: drakino]
justinlarsen
old hand

thats weak, ill just have to hack him whahahha

#103806 - 08/07/2002 21:12 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
thanks for pointing out the looser anyway

Matt

#103807 - 08/07/2002 21:15 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
DeadFire
addict

On a side note - did you take a look at his feedback?

Yes, the Praises outweight the Complaints. But the number of complaints, which all too often say the same thing, is just a few too many for me. My conclusion would be that he is not a good businessman (and reselling tickets is obviously his business), but that since most people don't want a hassle, things appear to go well enough most of the time.

Basically, you had some bad luck. I hate sellers/bidders that behave like that. If I had any sort of skill I'd offer to help you if you actually meant to hack him.

#103808 - 08/07/2002 21:17 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There's also the possibility that he was lying about actually having the tix, and backed out of the auction at the last minute because his supplier didn't come through. In which case, be glad he cancelled.

#103809 - 08/07/2002 21:17 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Yeah, that does suck... I've been out of the ebay scene for a while just because it seems to have outgrown it's "i've got this and don't need it anymore" to the full-time-job-with-benefits for the sellers. I've since moved over to craigslist, which feels like the old ebay and, since it's only the bay area, you can check stuff out before you buy it. Lost your cell phone? Run over to the guy in oakland who doesn't need his old nokia... Want a hot tub? Find one in napa and rent a u-haul...

On the other hand, it'd complain to every email address I could find on ebay about this, as it's clearly fraud...

Matthew

#103810 - 08/07/2002 21:22 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
DeadFire
addict

You could always just gather up his negative feedback comments and send them to anyone who bids on his auctions. Possibly hurting his business. Buyers can cancel their bids for any reason. And as long as they are willing to lie, like this particular seller is, then the reason can even sound legitimate.

[Edit:]
And yes, Tony, some of the complaints I read on him were that he set up auctions for items he didn't actually have.

Edited by DeadFire (08/07/2002 21:23)

#103811 - 08/07/2002 21:36 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: DeadFire]
justinlarsen
old hand

probably the reason why all of his auctions have private on them so peopel cant complain to the bidders, i wa just kidding about the hacking that woudl make me jsut as bad as him, but i woudl like to imform the community about him, looks like i will be buying the tickets from someone else i love weezer too much not to go thanks guys

#103812 - 08/07/2002 21:38 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
DeadFire
addict

I, for one, am not sure how we helped.

But if you would like some assistance in informing other eBayers about this particular scalper, I wouldn't mind sending a few emails.

#103813 - 09/07/2002 08:24 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: DeadFire]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
But if you would like some assistance in informing other eBayers about this particular scalper, I wouldn't mind sending a few emails.

Careful, they can claim auction interference and get you booted from eBay... Of course that would only mater if you use eBay frequently. If you don't and just want to harass them, sign up and knock yourself out.

BTW, the seller did nothing wrong by the rules, it's just not good business practice...

#103814 - 09/07/2002 08:26 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
That's why I dislike ebay. I feel the constant paranoia of everyone there. I'm afraid of being screwed, the people selling are afraid of being screwed. Everyone! It's not very fun. Plus, it's been ages since I've actually seen a good deal on there!

#103815 - 09/07/2002 08:27 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: davec]
DeadFire
addict

If I were actually going to do that... I think I might have a little more sense and make sure the messages couldn't be tracked to me.

#103816 - 09/07/2002 12:18 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: DeadFire]
justinlarsen
old hand

i love proxy servers

#103817 - 09/07/2002 22:34 Re: Grrr. Ebay Delema [Re: justinlarsen]
justinlarsen
old hand

WOOHOO round 2 under a differnt name, seems to be the same person running the same scams.

[urlhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1364314859[/url]

i reported this to ebay doubt they will do anything