Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#109649 - 07/08/2002 15:07 For Sale - Jensen KVFM1 FM Modulator
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I have a Jensen FM Modulator that I bought for $79.95 from Crutchfield. It's still in the box and has never been used. I would like to get $50 for it plus shipping if anyone is interested. I bought it to use in my install but went the route of taking out the factory HU and bought an amp instead.

Any takers?

MKI #017/90

whatever

#109650 - 07/08/2002 16:01 Re: For Sale - Jensen KVFM1 FM Modulator [Re: Laura]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
Do you have the model number?

#109651 - 07/08/2002 16:05 Re: For Sale - Jensen KVFM1 FM Modulator [Re: revlmwest]
Laura
pooh-bah

The receipt says KVFM1 on it.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#109652 - 07/08/2002 16:23 Re: For Sale - Jensen KVFM1 FM Modulator [Re: Laura]
Laura
pooh-bah

I was informed they are on sale at Crutchfield at the moment (I'm being honest about it), so I will sell it for $35 if anyone is interested. It's been too long since I bought it or else I would just return it for a refund.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#109653 - 02/09/2002 22:48 Re: For Sale - Jensen KVFM1 FM Modulator [Re: Laura]
italianboypauld
new poster

I am about to buy one of the kvfm1 units from crutchfield. But before i do i was wondering if the unit actually wored with my 30-GB RioCar player. If you could explain to me what i would need or if the KVFM1 is compatible with my player, that would be great...
Thank you

#109654 - 03/09/2002 09:25 Re: For Sale - Jensen KVFM1 FM Modulator [Re: italianboypauld]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you could explain to me what i would need or if the KVFM1 is compatible with my player, that would be great...

Are you sure you know what an FM modulator does? It does not add an FM tuner to your Rio Car player.

It's a way to connect a third-party line-level audio signal to a car's factory radio. It is compatible with the Rio Car player in the sense that it would take the Rio Car's line level outputs just fine. It turns that line-level audio signal into an FM radio frequency.

You asked if we could explain "what you would need", so here is what you would need:

1) A car radio with an FM antenna input.
2) Room in your car's dashboard for a second stereo.

Then you would connect the Rio Car to the KVFM1, connect the KVFM1 to the car radio, tune the car radio to a certain frequency (in the KVFM1's manual) and then press "play" on the Rio player.

But I do not recommend doing this unless you have absolutely no other alternative. It's better to remove the factory radio and install an amplifier to listen to the Rio Car player.

#109655 - 03/09/2002 19:39 Re: For Sale - Jensen KVFM1 FM Modulator [Re: tfabris]
italianboypauld
new poster

hey...thank you for the info...
i already have an amlifier and subs in my car...the amp powers the player as well. All i wanted to know was if there was anyway that I could purchase the am/fm modulator for the RioCar system or buy some kind of attachment to get am/fm without spending that much money. I have seen the am/fm modulators made for the RioCar system sell on e-bay for as much as $300. I just wanted to know if i could get am/fm on the player any other way. If you could please tell me how to do that, that would be great.
Thank you very much...

#109656 - 03/09/2002 19:47 Re: For Sale - Jensen KVFM1 FM Modulator [Re: italianboypauld]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The tuner for the empeg is proprietary. The only way to get one right now is to buy one ``used'', like from eBay. However, if you're willing to wait a few weeks to a few months, Patrick (pca) is making a kit available, which is likely to cost less than you could get an original tuner for. Read the two threads in ``General'' started by pca for more information.

#109657 - 03/09/2002 19:54 Re: For Sale - Jensen KVFM1 FM Modulator [Re: italianboypauld]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
All i wanted to know was if there was anyway that I could purchase the am/fm modulator for the RioCar system or buy some kind of attachment to get am/fm without spending that much money.

Careful with the semantics you are using. The terms "Modulator" and "AM/FM Tuner" are not interchangeable and are actually opposite:

"Modulator": Turns some kind of an audio signal into a radio frequency.
"Tuner": Receives a radio frequency and turns it into an audio signal.

The thing you saw on ebay for $300.00 is a TUNER not a modulator.

I just wanted to know if i could get am/fm on the player any other way.

To have AM/FM actually integrated with the player, the empeg tuner module is the only way. There will be a kit version being sold soon by Patrick and I'm not sure of its final cost, although it will be less than $300.00.

The other options are:

- Install two stereos in your dash if you have room for it. Use the aux-in and aux-out connectors to daisy chain them.

- Get some kind of a portable radio and plug its headphone output into the empeg's aux-in.