Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#129615 - 10/12/2002 13:35 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: jbauer]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Serendipity is just the name i gave to a project that I've wanted to work on for a long time ... Basically, I find that my mp3 collection stagnates on the Empeg. I wanted to find some way to get new material introduced to my unit. So what Serendipity does is combine a source of recommendation data with a music downloading service (in my case, I prototyped with AllMusic for data and LimeWire for tunes). Basically it goes to picks random tunes from your empeg and goes to limewire and finds related artists and then goes to limewire and tries to find songs by those artists, downloads them, and syncs them to your Empeg.

More pseudo-technical info:
http://empeg.comms.net/php/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=hackers_prog&Number=128527&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0

ms

#129616 - 10/12/2002 18:21 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: mschrag]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
maybe try !hash or !(hash)?

nope and nope. i looked up advanced search in the faq and it listed not as an alias to !. so turns out

not(hash)

worked for my purpose. thanks.

#129617 - 19/12/2002 16:16 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: mschrag]
ADent
stranger

Loc: Denver, Colorado
So if I want the latest standalong version (44) I go to http://jempeg..org/ (which is redirected to http://jempeg.cs.caltech.edu/ ).

It if want the newest version I download the whole thing over again?

-----

Is this connection to limewire useful for people on modems (like I have at home)?

Can I turn this off? I usually use JEMPLODE at work (becuase you have to be an admin to install empeg on NT) and they will not look favorably to starting a limewire server.

#129618 - 19/12/2002 23:58 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: mschrag]
old hand

not sure if its implemented, but if it isn't, consider this a feature request

is there any way possible to make jemplode follow shortcuts/symbolic links and add references if a crc match is found? much easier to organize on the hdd than jemplode.

#129619 - 20/12/2002 16:47 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: ADent]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Right now www.jempeg.org and jempeg.sourceforge.net are out of sync ... the latest installer is at jempeg.sourceforge.net, but I haven't decided where it ultimately will reside. So yes, if you want the last standalone, it is at jempeg.org (because I haven't moved the old links over). However, what would have been Build 45 does not currently have a standalone version and can only be downloaded with the full installers from jempeg.sourceforge.net. This is because the Limewire stuff requires a bunch of jars to work. I will pick back up in build 46 with the smaller releases though (as replacements for the jar in the full installer). Technically I could release the version the same way, but it would just fail when you try to use the LimeWire stuff (which may be OK, since not everybody needs/cares/wants it).

I use LimeWire over my modem ... One thing I do is start it before I go to bed and let it download stuff over night. It won't affect you at work, because it only (currently) runs on-demand -- so if you don't select it from the menu, it won't run.

Mike

#129620 - 20/12/2002 16:49 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: image]
mschrag
pooh-bah

If you can get me specs on how shortcuts are implemented on Windows, I might be able to ... Symbolic links (I think) will work for free, since it would just appear as a regular file. And CRC matching _should_ just add a reference currently (currently = 44+)

#129621 - 20/12/2002 19:57 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: mschrag]
old hand

here is the .lnk format in a pdf file. hope this is what you're looking for.

#129622 - 24/12/2002 12:59 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: image]
old hand

i've been thinking about a couple of features that would be compliment the crc checking pretty well. i tried to interpret the jemplode source and see if i could try and implement it myself, but my java is just too amateurish.

i usually drag my whole mp3 folder to sync up my empeg w/ the hdd. of course, this takes time w/ the crc check on 30+gigs... so i end up leaving it for a few minutes. if you can have a toggle in the configuration to auto-sync after adding/dragging folders, then it would be great.

the next thing that i thought up was to shorten the amount of time to crc check. i was thinking a local database with 4 fields {filename, datemodified, song-crc, tags-crc}. the tags-crc would consist of both id3v1 and v2. the logic goes like this:

(no change) if the filename / date are the same, crc checks do not happen.
(additional file or filename change) new filename, crc checks happens. it then checks if theres a song-crc and tag-crc that matches already. if so, it updates the filename. if not, then gets appeneded to the database.
(tag change only) crc checks happen. if the song-crc is equal but tag-crc is not, tags get modified on the empeg to match the local song.

the tag-change this is a special case, since most tagging software do not change the datemodified, and therefore wouldnt be caught. a seperate button to do a full rescan of crc-checks would solve that. i'm sure i'm missing some more logic, but you get the idea. this would give an awesome speed boost to the checking, dont you think? or would this be too hard to implement?

#129623 - 25/12/2002 17:49 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: mschrag]
phowson
new poster

Loc: Virginia
Just curious as to the status of USB connectivity for the Mac under OS X. Any progress? Would this be faster than over ethernet?

#129624 - 26/12/2002 05:11 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: phowson]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Haven't worked on it in a while ... I wouldn't hold your breath for this one being done any time soon. Mike

#129625 - 30/12/2002 00:56 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: mschrag]
ADent
stranger

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Report from Classic Mac OS using Apple's lame-o Java (MRJ 2.5.5).

Finally found time to install v45 (full install) on my OS 9.2.2 box at home.
Reinstalled the swing1.1.1 stuff from my 8.6 partition and it sort of works.

It connects via Ethernet and finds the unit. It downloads the databases. The playlist listing opens, but none of the actual entries in the playlist show up in the right hand pane (only time anything shows up is when you click on the empegcar entry and one entry - playlists).

Also the little arrow things don't work if the branch has not previously opened by double clicking.

Search doesn't work. Create Soup Playlist doesn't work unless you just select all (which shows up in the left hand pane, but you can't see if anything is in it since the left hand pane doesn't work).

A lot of the other stuff is working. Grab EMPEG screen, Configure player, etc.

No big deal as I usually rip on the Mac and FTP to my free/ancient PC then upload from there.
----
USB is 12Mb/s and 10BT Ethernet is 10Mb/s - so there is not much of a theoretical advantage for USB and in actual use I think the reports are close.

#129626 - 01/01/2003 07:50 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: ADent]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Yeah -- I think I figured out what's going on ... One of the methods I'm using isn't documented as being added in JDK 1.2 even though it was. It's basically the method that fires an event when you change playlists. Oops.

#129627 - 01/01/2003 07:56 Re: jempeg.sourceforge.net [Re: image]
mschrag
pooh-bah

That would be a pretty good speed boost in most cases ... I'll save this one and see how it works out.

ms

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2