Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#165776 - 13/06/2003 18:18 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit?
HEUGE
new poster

OK, I'm a lurker. I have had my EMPEG for a year or so, and I am the second owner of my 30GB Mark2a (It's actually a Rio car). I am afraid that like my friend who I bought it from, I am having difficulty deciding how to install my unit. He eventually gave-up and sold it to me. I have read through most of the FAQ posts as well as scanned this site, but I still have a few questions.

Notes regarding background:
N1) The 350Z has a double-din stereo compartment which can accept an $18.00 adapter to convert this to either two single-din slots or one single-din slot with a storage pocket.

N2) I do not yet own a tuner module, but I may be purchasing one under certain conditions.

N3) I currently do not have a subwoofer, but many people have installed one in the stock location using either a self-amplified unit or a separately amped setup.

N4) I care more about sound quality than overall sound volume (I don't want a "boom car")

N5) Front and rear 6.5" speakers will be replaced with something better than stock

N6) I have two separate single-din slots behind the seats that were designed originally for a DVD Nav system (I do not have that option)

N7) Two four-gauge wires can fit through the rubber grommet in the firewall.

Possible options for installation:

O1) Install EMPEG in one of the rear DIN slots and fake the main stereo into the sense that this is a 6-disk changer (may not be possible but it would be the cheapest)

O2) Rip out the car stereo and install the EMPEG as a single unit with a tuner module and put a 4 or 5 channel AMP (like a JL 500/5) in the rear to power the main speakers and possibly a sub can be added at a future date. This would mean that the EMPEG must be in the car to play any music. Bonus: Storage bin at the bottom.

O3) Rip out the car stereo and install the EMPEG plus an Alpine head unit that does not have the superhuge face (such as a CDA-9815) in the dual single-din module and power the speakers with the head unit with either the front 4V EMPEG outputs or the aux 1V EMPEG output going into the Alpine unit. Subwoofer can be added in the future. Bonus: EMPEG not required to have music.

Questions:

Q1: With Option O3, I am concerned about heat. For the installs that I have seen here, most of these have the empeg in the lower slot while the upper slots are usually populated with a single-din head unit (for those of us with double-dins). I know that the fan mod can be done without difficulty, but how many people with a stacked (head-unit-powered) setup have run into overheating problems? This may not be an option for me because the lower slot may be too-low to install a pull-out EMPEG, so it might need to go on-top. Have people seen heat problems with the EMPEG on top?

Q2: With O2, the EMPEG has two sets of 4V (front/rear) outputs and one set of 1V (aux) off of the chassis. While we have fader control to set a balanced level for the front and rear outputs, there is no separate level control for the 1V (aux) output right? If I lower the volume, all three sets of outputs are reduced? If this was something that I could change in the kernel, then perhaps the 1V aux output could be used as a Subwoofer channel. I would like to hear any opinions on this.

There is no-rush in responding, since it will be a few months before I do this, but I would like to hear everone's opinions. The funny thing is that I went to an audio installer who claims to have done installs of both the first and second generation EMPEGs, but he really was unaware of the potention of these things. He was a bit incredulous when I told him that we had 4V preouts for the front and rear.

Thanks for your time,
Eugene

Edited by HEUGE (13/06/2003 18:23)

#165777 - 13/06/2003 18:26 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: HEUGE]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The Aux is an input. There are suggestions in the FAQ about how you might set up a subwoofer.

It is my experience that Japanese cars have smaller ``DIN'' slots than are really the standard. If you're buying an aftermarket adapter, this probably isn't an issue, but if not, I've found that it can be a real pain to get the empeg to physically work with another head unit.

#165778 - 13/06/2003 19:20 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: wfaulk]
HEUGE
new poster

The AUX is an input! Gah... that puts a bit of a kibash on the external amp sub control with the empeg.

I'll keep reading the FAQ.

Can anyone else comment on the overheating issues? the fan info on the FAQ did mention that it was one reason that some people installed fans.

I guess I didn't list option 4

O4) Install Empeg with output going into input of a single-din receiver that has three output pairs to separately control amps. Therefore no amplifier in the same compartment as the EMPEG for heat. Separate amps would then be required.

#165779 - 13/06/2003 19:36 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: HEUGE]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You saw this particular FAQ entry, right?

#165780 - 13/06/2003 19:53 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: wfaulk]
HEUGE
new poster

Yes, thanks, it's where I scammed the headunit idea.

I'm not a car audiophile, but I am trying to learn. The headunit controlling the main speakers by its own amplifiers and/or outputs plus a woofer output would seems to be two good solutions. I just really want to know what other people are using and what results they are achieving. I am also looking for people to point out weaknesses in my plans.

I especially want to know about the temperature issues.

#165781 - 13/06/2003 20:04 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: HEUGE]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have a VW golf with a clarion head unit with built in amplifier and the empeg. I have the empeg installed on top it gets very hot if I go for a long drive (several hours). I haven't had any problems yet I wish I would have thought about that when I installed it and I would have put the empeg on the bottom. The Golf has a tiny compartment for the stereo also so there is not any air flow.

If you go with two head units I would put the empeg in the lower spot for sure.

I like having two head units with the empeg connected to the line in on the 2nd unit because if I go someplace where I don't want to / can't bring in the empeg (like when I go watch a band) I can just leave it at home and not have to drive in silence.

Matt

#165782 - 13/06/2003 23:43 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headun [Re: HEUGE]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
There's another option apart from running one units outputs into the others AUX in - use a RCA switcher. Essentially 2x4 RCA inputs and 4 outputs. Which set of inputs that get switched through to the outputs is determined by the remote leads from the HU, where one has priority in the case both units are on. Also gives 1 remote wire output (effectively ORed the remotes from the two HUs)

/Michael

#165783 - 14/06/2003 03:08 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headun [Re: mtempsch]
cookie_77

Nissan also use the slightly small variant of the din size (I have a Silvia and a spare surround is over $100).

Another option is for you to go for the empeg in the dash with a pocket and mount a normal headunit in one of the rear dins.

Use a wired remote to control the functions of the rear headunit.

C.

#165784 - 14/06/2003 09:15 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headun [Re: msaeger]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't had any problems yet I wish I would have thought about that when I installed it and I would have put the empeg on the bottom.

Doesn't make a huge difference in the Golf - the lack of airflow is really the cause of the problem. To me the bigger benefit has been getting the empeg far enough below the cupholders so that I can still see the screen when there's a drink there. It's still worth doing when you get the chance IMO, but it isn't a magic bullet.

#165785 - 14/06/2003 10:00 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: HEUGE]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Heuge, I would go with option 2 (rip out the existing stereo and just use the empeg and an amp).

If you went with two head units, you will come to realize (as many others have) that the second head unit is a waste of space. You will hardly ever use the head unit to play CDs. So for the few times you want to play a CD, just keep a cheap portable CD player in the glove compartment (with the correct cables to go to the empeg's aux-in). I do this, and the CD player only gets used about once per year.

If you're worried about having only front and rear outputs, don't be. Remember that separate subwoofer outputs didn't start getting added to head units until recently. And many head units still don't come with separate subwoofer outputs. So what do other audiophiles do without six outputs? Exactly what's illustrated in that FAQ entry. It's really no big deal, and very easy to do.

Remember that a separate subwoofer output is only a convenience feature. It lets you change the level while you're driving, that's all. I have the ability to control my subwoofer's volume seperately from the front/rear speakers, and I never use it. All of my levels are all set exactly where I want them, and I never need to change them.

Also, as you've already surmised, you'd have less trouble with heat for the empeg this way. CD head units get HOT, especially when you're using them to drive your speakers, and there have been a few stories of overheating empegs even when the empeg is mounted below the head unit (because the head unit blocks the empeg's top air holes). You could always install a fan in the empeg, but that's a hassle.

Seriously. Do it right. The empeg works great as your only stereo. And if, after a while, you decide you really want the second head unit, then you can always buy one and put it in.

#165786 - 16/06/2003 17:15 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
If you went with two head units, you will come to realize (as many others have) that the second head unit is a waste of space

Tony, you're completely wrong here! Why, I used my CD player two, maybe three times just last year alone!

tanstaafl.

#165787 - 16/06/2003 19:27 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: tanstaafl.]
DeadFire
addict

I've had my empeg running through the Aux of a CD receiver for over a year now. It was easier than tearing up the car in order to install an amp and run wires. But at the time such a task frightened me. Now, though, I think it will be my next project. Despite having recently purchased a new CD receiver, I think I'm ready to "do it right." The amp research has already begun.

#165788 - 20/08/2003 14:07 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: HEUGE]
HEUGE
new poster

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Well unfortunately after looking at the size of the empeg unit, installation of a second DIN-sized HU would be too difficult for me to handle right now. I was only looking for AM/FM radio support since CD's are not a priority. Based on all of your inputs, I will go with a direct empeg RCA to amplifier RCA configuration. I will use a four channel amplifier, and the fronts will be used for the front channels while the rears will be bridged for use with a subwoofer.

Since I do not have a tuner unit, I think the only really crazy thing that I am planning is to run an AM/FM handheld radio into the AUX-IN of the Empeg. This will probably be the easiest way for me to get my dose of NPR and AM traffic reports. I am going to open up the unit and see if I can use the car's stock antenna wiring to mate with the antenna of the portable radio.

In my hands
Metra In-Dash faceplate kit for 350Z
Empeg 30GB
CDT CL-61a's 6.5" Components
Infinity 1030 Subwoofer ($14.00 after rebate)
Sony SRF-M37V handheld radio

Ordered
Nakamichi PA504 Amplifier (will be run in 3-channel mode with the rears bridged)
Wal Mart Scoche 1000W Amp wiring kit ($32.00 delivered including 2xRCA cables)

Need to order
Speaker Wire (should I buy twisted?)
Marine-Grade Plywood for the subwoofer box
Miscellaneous wiring harnesses
Miscellaneous screws and bolts

I am hoping that you guys can recommend corrections and more things in the "Need to order" section. Of course I will take donations of Tuner Modules.

#165789 - 20/08/2003 14:14 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: HEUGE]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Since I do not have a tuner unit, I think the only really crazy thing that I am planning is to run an AM/FM handheld radio into the AUX-IN of the Empeg.
That should work fine. Of course, to be really cool, you should just get one of these.

#165790 - 20/08/2003 15:30 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: tfabris]
HEUGE
new poster

I would love to order a PCATS tuner, but it's a bit late for the initial install. If I need to wait in queue for the PCATS tuner, then snow might be a factor when I do my install.

#165791 - 22/08/2003 15:53 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: HEUGE]
cookie_77

Why not mount the sub in the 10" box thats built in for the boss sub (the box is there even if you dont have the boss unit i belive)?

#165792 - 22/08/2003 15:55 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: cookie_77]
cookie_77

#165793 - 22/08/2003 18:25 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: cookie_77]
HEUGE
new poster

cookie_ARM,

Thanks for the links. I will probably order the BOSE subwoofer cover from Courtesy or my local dealer. Every 350Z (including my Enthusast non-touring) has the built-in metal plate to hold a 10" subwoofer, but the problem that people have had is that they can not get their systems to sound clean without a suitable enclosure.

FBlade1 on my350z.com had initially installed twin JL Audio Infinite Baffle 10" Subs. The installation was pretty incredible. He had purchaed both a spare metal plate for the sub as well as a spare Bose cover, and a great deal of sound deadening was used. In the end, he decided to go with a custom fiberglass enclosure in the rear. Since I do not have the skill to do that, I am looking to build a small wood enclosure and slide it into the stock location with the subwoofer facing up. While this is not as good as a subwoofer installed in the rear, it will let me get a little better sound quality without sacrifiing actual luggage space. I don't have much space to spare.

FYI, the left and right sides of the Z compartments were designed with interchangable parts so the RHD and LHD cars would not need separate parts in the factory.

#165794 - 22/08/2003 18:38 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: HEUGE]
HEUGE
new poster

Here's a pic of fblade1's initial install.

Attachments
175204-fblade1 sub mount 1.jpg (262 downloads)

#165795 - 22/08/2003 18:41 Re: 350Z Installation Questions - To AMP or Headunit? [Re: HEUGE]
HEUGE
new poster

Sorry see attachments above. If you register for access you can see the full threads at

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36147
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39401
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17558

another picture attached (with covers on)

Attachments
175206-fblade 1 finished subs 1.jpg (282 downloads)