Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248931 - 10/02/2005 23:08 flu shot when you've got a cold?
DWallach
carpal tunnel

My employer is (finally) offering us free flu shots. As it happens, I'm currently roughing my way through a common cold (no fever, but runny nose, coughing, etc.). The flu shots are tomorrow morning. Should I get the shot anyway? I poked through the CDC web site, among others, and couldn't find any definitive answer to the question. Thoughts?

#248932 - 10/02/2005 23:15 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: DWallach]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Quote:
Thoughts?

I just asked my sister (surgeon, finally employed) and she said it's fine, just be forewarned that flu shots can sometimes cause flu like symptoms, and the chances of you feeling sick for the first day or the day after are probably slightly greater because of the cold. It's not something to really worry about unless you've reacted this way to the flu shot before (I do not do well with them).

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#248933 - 11/02/2005 02:14 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Please, for the love of God, wash your hands, arms, and face completely, in the nearest restroom to the place the shots are getting administered, and try not to touch your face or sneeze between the time you wash and the time you get the shot. Then leave the area quickly.

This will help prevent all those OTHER customers from catching your cold. Remember that colds are mostly spread via the hands, and the surfaces your hands come in contact with.

I mean, wouldn't it suck to sit down to get a flu shot, and the next day come down with a miserable cold?

#248934 - 11/02/2005 09:08 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: Heather]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
just be forewarned that flu shots can sometimes cause flu like symptoms,

Flu shots are a live-virus shot, right?

The last time I had a flu shot, I came down with rather severe flu-like symptoms. In fact, so severe that I've decided that I prefer the (small) odds of getting/not getting real flu, versus the (higher) odds of getting ill off of the flu shot.

I'd also comment that, if your body is currently trying to fight off a viral attack (the cold), it might not be the best idea to give it another virus (the live-virus shot) to deal with at the same time.

And, frankly, I don't like needles.

#248935 - 11/02/2005 10:11 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Is it normal for fit healthy people in the US to get flu shots every year ? (that is the impression I have gathered)

Over here in the UK the only people that tend to get flu shots are already vulnerable to disease in some way.

Is flu more common in the US ? I have had flu only once in my life and I can't remember anyone I know actually having flu in recent years (a whole bunch have claimed to had flu, but from my exposure to real flu I know you aren't back at work after three days, they just had colds).

#248936 - 11/02/2005 10:41 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: andy]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I think the US is more paranoid about flu. Perhaps wanting to avoid getting it, or to avoid the multiday "death warmed over" feeling. I guess if you get it once (and feel that bad from it) you want to tkae precautions.

I personally do not get flu shots. I asked my doctor about it a few years back, and his recommendation was to only get it if you are: in a high risk group (very young or old or with existing medical problems), caring full time for someone at high risk or exposed to lots of high risk people at work (medical, education, etc.). So, I have not gotten any flu shots and I personally do not recommend it for those reasons.

#248937 - 11/02/2005 11:44 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: andy]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Is it normal for fit healthy people in the US to get flu shots every year ? (that is the impression I have gathered)

I don't know anybody that gets flu shots. By watching the news you would think 90% of the country is clawing at each other to be next in line to get a shot.

#248938 - 11/02/2005 12:01 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: robricc]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know anybody that gets flu shots. By watching the news you would think 90% of the country is clawing at each other to be next in line to get a shot.

We get free (contractors have to pay $15) flu shots every year here at work (except this year obviously). We are 'encouraged' to get them, since it is cheaper for the company than an outbreak would be. Most of the people particpate, especially those with children. In my group, I can only think of two who don't like getting them.

- Tim

#248939 - 11/02/2005 12:49 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This year is the first in decades that my father got his flu shot (he had to get it for other health reasons). Guess what! He got the flu

#248940 - 11/02/2005 12:59 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: andy]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
This year my firm offered free flu shots to all the UK staff (7000 of us I guess) I was going to as I have two fast plague vectors (children under 5) but in the end I couldn't be bothered and haven't got ill yet. The guy across the partition has been coughing all day though, so I may be in trouble...
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#248941 - 11/02/2005 13:31 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: robricc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I don't know anybody that gets flu shots.

Yes you do. Me. You just didn't realize it.

Thing is, since the shots are done at the back of the local grocery store over a three-day period, I often miss the date. So I don't manage to get them every year.

#248942 - 11/02/2005 14:41 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: andy]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Quote:

Over here in the UK the only people that tend to get flu shots are already vulnerable to disease in some way.

My GP sends me a letter every year urging me, for the love of [insert deity], to immediately get a flu shot. This on the basis of my technically having asthma, although in reality it was only ever an allergy-triggered thing and in the last few years has diminished to almost non-existence. I have never taken the offer up, both because it always seems to be available at a time I'm not, and because a doctor friend of mine has warned that the side effects are frequently worst than what it's supposed to prevent.

Quote:
I can't remember anyone I know actually having flu in recent years

The last time I had flu was about a year ago, and I've only really had it perhaps three times in my life. Once was at college, where I completely lost three days of memory due to delerium, once was about 10 years ago where I spent one night wrapped in two duvets huddled over a convection heater in a room which was at about 45 degrees C, shivering and feeling like I was freezing to death.

The recent one was classic symptoms: Woke up feeling a little under the weather, 6 hours later I couldn't get out of bed on a bet. Shivering, fever (both types, reminiscent of Homer Simpson - Hot! Cold! AHH! Hot!! etc), coughing at least one lung up, aches and pains to the point of agony, and so on. When you have flu for real you are left in no doubt that previous attempts were mere colds.

Mind you, when I gave it to my brother he really made a meal out of it. It nearly turned into pneumonia. Showoff

pca

#248943 - 11/02/2005 14:57 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: pca]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

#248944 - 11/02/2005 16:01 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: pca]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The problem is that in the US, the colloquialism "stomach flu" is common. It's intended to describe any of various forms of gastroenteritis. These have absolutely nothing to do with influenza, which is a resperatory infection, as you seem well aware. I don't think there's anyone who's not had a bad bout of gastroenteritis, and I'm sure none who have ever want it again. I think many fewer people get influenza in the US than is generally thought due to this common misconception. As such, I think people are thinking they're getting treated for gastroenteritis and line up in droves. If they realized how uncommon the flu is (which is not all that uncommon, but much more so than they think), they'd not bother getting one.

As for me, I get flu-like symptoms from the flu shot, so I don't get one. To me, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck, so I avoid them to avoid getting the flu. At the same time, I'm pretty sure it's not a live-virus vaccine. I'm almost positive that it's dead, so there really is no chance of actually contracting the flu, but it sure does feel like it.

Edit: It seems that that new nasal mist vaccine is a live virus, but the injectables are not.

Edited by wfaulk (11/02/2005 16:07)

#248945 - 11/02/2005 22:17 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: wfaulk]
kayakjazz

Loc: Bay Area, CA/Anchorage, AK
Right, the shots are killed-virus. As a psychologist who works in schools (we, and teachers, should get hazardous-duty pay, as everything going around goes through the schools...) I fall into one of the exposure categories and always get one. I haven't had a serious bout of flu for 20 years since graduate school, when I didn't get one--nor, fortunately, have I ever had any more adverse reaction than a sore arm. Anyone with kids in school might want to consider it too....the darlings are germ factories. Per the cold, I know they won't give me allergy shots if I have one, but I'm not sure of the reasoning, other than that it gives your immune system something else to battle....

#248946 - 12/02/2005 07:36 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
As for me, I get flu-like symptoms from the flu shot

It occurs to me that it might not have to be the virus giving you the symptoms. Even if it's not live-virus, your immune system is going to spin up a shedload of antibodies in response to the dead-virus vaccine. That can sometimes lead to flu-like symptoms all by itself, probably.

#248947 - 13/02/2005 00:23 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: Roger]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Bingo... Symptoms are usually the results of your body trying to fend off an infection. It doesn't matter that the infection isn't real, your body thinks it is.

Attachments
248487-avatar3.gif (107 downloads)

Edited by lectric (13/02/2005 00:25)

#248948 - 13/02/2005 01:20 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: lectric]
drakino
carpal tunnel

You can attach avatars under "My Home" then "Personal Information" now, no need to tack them onto posts.

#248949 - 13/02/2005 04:19 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: drakino]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
You can attach avatars under "My Home" then "Personal Information" now, no need to tack them onto posts.

Did I miss that announcment? Seems so.

#248950 - 13/02/2005 14:58 Re: flu shot when you've got a cold? [Re: drakino]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Hehehe, I attached it to the post, went to change it, and discovered that. Too late of course.