Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#285338 - 10/08/2006 19:09 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: RobotCaleb]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
TSA just banned liquids.

Courtesy of Boing Boing

Attachments
285886-liquids-on-a-plane.jpg (145 downloads)

#285339 - 10/08/2006 19:34 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: sein]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
LMAO
Boy, that was fast.

#285340 - 10/08/2006 20:51 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: robricc]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
When flying back from the US I left my laptop in my carry-on bag when it went through the x-ray machine - I was sharply asked why I didn't take it out and put it the tray - "because no signs or people told me to". A more pleasant man then swabbed it (no disassembly required), and was apologetic when he took my wallet from the tray and accidentally tipped all my loose change onto the floor, we had a good laugh scrabbling all over for it.

#285341 - 12/08/2006 01:01 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: sein]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Excellent!

I'm flying back from Hong Kong to LHR today, and have been told by Virgin that it'll be the no carry on routine... so I'm boxing up most of my luggage in a cardboard box and putting my hand luggage (which is not very check-innable) into my bag. Sigh. At least it's an overnight flight, so no PSP and no Karma means I won't have anything to do but sleep

Love the liquids on a plane poster

Hugo

#285342 - 12/08/2006 04:35 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: altman]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
And now they are saying this might be this way for good. And since I can never sleep on airplanes and a 12 hour flight is hell even with all the MP3 players, snacks, and books that I used to be able to bring, I guess I won't be going anywhere anymore.

You know, the terrorists would have been happy with an explosion, but I would have to surmise that putting an end to usable world air travel has to leave them pretty pleased.

#285343 - 12/08/2006 05:05 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: ninti]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Hmmm, I suspect some dear friends of Tony Blair and/or GW may just be in the X-Ray/Screening-Machine business. Just another day in the middle of manufactured war/terror.

#285344 - 12/08/2006 05:47 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: hybrid8]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I was flying into aberdeen and looked at the website for aberdeen airport and they had a very worrying statement

"all liquids will be removed from passengers"

That would hurt

#285345 - 12/08/2006 05:48 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: ninti]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Code:
The form you have submitted is no longer valid. 

Damn. I guess you all will be spared my diatribe.

Short Summary:
1) Air travel with baggage will never be safe
2) Airport Secuity as we know it is a charade to make us feel safe.
3) The UK's current rules are obvious proof that they know their screening doesn't work.
4) Air travel without carryon baggage will not be profitable without huge restructuring of the air travel bussiness.

Matthew

#285346 - 12/08/2006 11:50 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: matthew_k]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
2) Airport Secuity as we know it is a charade to make us feel safe.

Otherwise known as "security theater". I love the photo of soldiers posted in airports with large, impressive weapons at hand. That will certainly have a great impact on terrorists dressed like business executives.

I almost hate to say it, but the only security measure that would have a strong chance of working would be something like El Al's practice of interviewing every flyer. It's terribly intrusive and obnoxious, but they've never had a security issue, and I imagine that's not for any lack of trying.

#285347 - 12/08/2006 12:18 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: hybrid8]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
Hmmm, I suspect some dear friends of Tony Blair and/or GW may just be in the X-Ray/Screening-Machine business. Just another day in the middle of manufactured war/terror.

Dude?! Are you really that stupid?

#285348 - 12/08/2006 13:58 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: ninti]
g_attrill
old hand

Quote:

You know, the terrorists would have been happy with an explosion, but I would have to surmise that putting an end to usable world air travel has to leave them pretty pleased.

Current news is that anything bought in the airport lounge can be taken on board now (good business for the snack shops!).

I suspect the hand luggage restriction will be lifted for non-US flights before too long, with extra checking (you will have to taste any liquids!). Not sure what will happen in the long-term for US flights though.

Gareth

#285349 - 12/08/2006 14:44 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: g_attrill]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
extra checking (you will have to taste any liquids!)

Bring a bag of miniature alcohol bottles and have a party in customs

#285350 - 12/08/2006 23:00 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: JBjorgen]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
What part do you have a problem with? There's a lot going on that's wrong, and it has nothing to do with airport security.

#285351 - 13/08/2006 01:42 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Robotic]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Why are they so bent on hating everyone?

Why do they hate airplanes so much?

I worry for the UK.

Quote:
Almost a quarter of British Muslims believe the July 7 terror were justified because of Britain's support for the war on terror, a poll has revealed.

And nearly half said the 9/11 attacks on New York were a conspiracy between the US and Israel.

The survey found Muslims under the age of 24 were twice as likely to justify the 7/7 attacks as those aged over 45.

It found 24 per cent across all age groups either agreed or tended to agree that the 7/7 bombings were justified, although 48 per cent said they "strongly disagreed" and 17 per cent said they did not know.

A third of those questioned said they would rather live under Sharia law in the UK than British law.

The survey also reveals concerns among Muslims about Britain's moral standards, with 40 per cent saying it is a country of bad moral behaviour, and 66 per cent saying parents allow their children too much freedom.

I only have a link to the story, but not to the actual survey they are referring too. I heard the survey only interviewed 1,000 individuals, so I wouldn't swear by the numbers but it's still troublesome. Link

#285352 - 13/08/2006 05:22 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Roger]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
Why not just anaesthetise passengers for the entire flight? They'll take up less space lying down, you don't need to provide a meal or inflight movie, and there's no way that they're going to get bored when they're asleep.

It also means that the most a terrorist can do to disrupt the flight is snore loudly.

Excellent idea, no screaming children either. What would that do for jet lag though?

#285353 - 13/08/2006 05:48 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tfabris]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
They don't hate everyone. Just those who they feel are responsible for allowing infidels to occupy their holy land and attack their brothers.

What drives them is their religious leaders. What drives the religious leaders is the same thing that drives all religious leaders: Power.

If only the individual terrorists truly understood what pawns they were.

I disagree with the first piece, it's not about infidels occupying holy lands as far as I understand it, more a sense of frustration at being unable to affect the west's foreign policy towards the muslim world. The rest is broadly true.

I'm not about to get drawn into an argument over why they feel this or how much truth there is in their understanding, all I'd say is that as a Londoner who lived through the long period of Christian extremist terrorism in the UK it's just something that we'll have to deal with. (That may seem casually said, but I've been close enough to IRA bombings, and the 7/7 ones were virtually on my doorstep, my brother in law spent a week down the tunnels at Aldgate searching for human remains)

To me it's angry young men being given plenty of reasons to be angry about. Are the perpetrators going to achieve anything by these acts? Well no, nothing positive anyway, but the one thing I know that it's doing is waking your average Joe Muslim to the idea that these people don't just parachute in from a different planet, it's their own sons, brothers, cousins etc, not some poor Arab or Afghan 1000s of miles away.

The UK muslim community is hurting in a big way over this and 7/7, we need to educate*** our youth, something which I think is being understood much more widely now, even by our government. Have we adequately and convincingly told the rest of the world that? I don't think so, most of the "muslim leaders" trotted out in front of the TV cameras on occasions such as these bear about as much relevance to me as Mickey Mouse, there isn't a real theocratic structure in Islam the way there is in Christianity/Judaism, it's not like the Anglican church that can have an "official" view, they're all just individuals and most are extremely poorly equipped to deal with the modern media machine.

*** I mean education in a broader sense, not in terms of qualifications, god sakes my first 2 nephews that went to Uni passed their degree courses with honours, it's about political and social justice, how to affect change within and without the society that we live in etc.

#285354 - 13/08/2006 05:59 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: visuvius]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
Its not just their religious leaders, its their leaders in general. The heads of pretty much all middle eastern countries disgust me. There is not a decent individual in that mix. Maybe, MAYBE the King of Jordan, and the President of Afghanistan (errr, Mayor of Kabul). Nothing is every done in the interest of the people.

However, these people have very real issues, and beating them over the head with Democracy is not going to solve their problems. We're constantly being told that they hate our freedom and all this nonsense. I honestly don't believe that is true. The taliban and a few other misguided assholes have massively distorted the image of muslims around the world. These people don't hate our freedom and a Caliphate from Spain to Indonesia is not exactly the number one concern at this point. But constantly saying that this is what we're fighting is a great scare tactic and makes for good copy.

Excellent post, I agree. I don't know a "muslim" government that isn't corrupt or abusive of human rights, there is no exemplar muslim regime that can be upheld as a model for others to follow. I'm of the firm belief that the change has to come from within the muslim community, enocouraged, maybe nurtured by the west, but from within. (That's supposing that what we want is peace and stability in the muslim world)

#285355 - 13/08/2006 07:43 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tahir]
tahir
pooh-bah

The wife and kids are supposed to be off to the Algarve tomorrow from Stansted. BAA site says check with your airline re delays/cancellations, EasyJet site makes no mention of anything at all...

#285356 - 13/08/2006 11:43 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tahir]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Quote:
Excellent post, I agree. I don't know a "muslim" government that isn't corrupt or abusive of human rights, there is no exemplar muslim regime that can be upheld as a model for others to follow.

How about Indonesia? It's the world's largest muslim country, and allows religious freedom. They've also gone a long way on fighting corruption since the excesses of Sukarno.

#285357 - 13/08/2006 11:56 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: larry818]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
How about Indonesia? It's the world's largest muslim country, and allows religious freedom. They've also gone a long way on fighting corruption since the excesses of Sukarno.

Although there are plenty of positives to Indonesia there's still plenty of stuff going on there, all politically motivated, but it is a "muslim" country and as such is not an example to anyone. Ditto Turkey, until they deal with their appalling human rights issues it's not a regime I'd be happy living under (secular extremism?).

#285358 - 13/08/2006 16:30 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tahir]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
The wife and kids are supposed to be off to the Algarve tomorrow from Stansted. BAA site says check with your airline re delays/cancellations, EasyJet site makes no mention of anything at all...

From the news coverage it sounds like it is onlt Heathrow now that is suffering cancellations.

Neither the Ryanair or Easyjet sites had anything to say about the new restrictions even on the day they were bought in.

#285359 - 13/08/2006 16:59 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tahir]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't know a "muslim" government that isn't corrupt or abusive of human rights,

It's unfortunate to hear that phrase, and think about how my own government doesn't stand up to those same measures, either.

#285360 - 13/08/2006 20:03 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

From the news coverage it sounds like it is only Heathrow now that is suffering cancellations.

Though looking at the Stanstead departures on baa.com there are definitely still some cancelled EasyJet flights.

#285361 - 13/08/2006 21:56 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: andy]
g_attrill
old hand

Last news is that the threat level has been "changed" (not downgraded apparently) from Critical to Severe, and hand baggage restrictions lifted, but with the liquids rules still in force.

#285362 - 14/08/2006 03:28 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tfabris]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know a "muslim" government that isn't corrupt or abusive of human rights,

It's unfortunate to hear that phrase, and think about how my own government doesn't stand up to those same measures, either.

If you lived under a Muslim government, you would realize that there is no comparison between the two types of corruption and human rights abuse.

#285363 - 14/08/2006 07:54 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Cybjorg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I agree there.

But is it wrong of me to want my government to be completely free of both of those things?

#285364 - 14/08/2006 08:24 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: g_attrill]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

So in a few years when these ethanol fuel cells are common place in our laptops.... are we going to be allowed to use them on an aircraft? The first reports (months back) said "yes" but now I'm not so sure!

#285365 - 14/08/2006 08:24 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tfabris]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:

Sad but true, I suppose what I'm talking about is their attitudes to their own people. The US & UK tend to give their own citizens all kinds of privilege and freedom, they tend to export their corruption & humans rights abuses.

#285366 - 14/08/2006 08:28 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Cybjorg]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
If you lived under a Muslim government, you would realize that there is no comparison between the two types of corruption and human rights abuse.

Agree, I think I've at least partially answered that in respose to Tony.

#285367 - 14/08/2006 09:25 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
g_attrill
old hand

Quote:
So in a few years when these ethanol fuel cells are common place in our laptops.... are we going to be allowed to use them on an aircraft? The first reports (months back) said "yes" but now I'm not so sure!

Probably only if you buy it from an authorised airport shop....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >