Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#290291 - 29/01/2007 15:49 Re: Wii [Re: Tim]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
The goofiest thing is, after Wii Sports (Tennis and Bowling mostly), her favorite 'games' are dorking around with the Weather and News channels.
Heh, I had the pleasure of introducing a friend of my sister's to the Wii, and after playing a few different games, she fell in love with "Smash Bowling"- the training feature where you get to knock down ~90 pins at once.

Guess everyone has their sweet spot. I think at least a few people so far have had more fun creating Miis than anything else

#290292 - 29/01/2007 15:59 Re: Wii [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
She can literally spend an hour playing with the globe checking out the forecast for different cities, go and read the news, then back to the forecast.

Her and Gabe, apparently.

#290293 - 05/02/2007 07:22 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
I got it. Now I have all this thread to read, and then maybe play on-line with some of you!
Last night I only had time to set it up, connect it to the internet, update it, and love the force feedback on it, and the menus, and the sound.
I guess now I should start to play WiiSports.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#290294 - 05/02/2007 20:46 Re: Wii [Re: Taym]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Congrats! Post your number when you get a chance.

I beat Zelda a couple nights ago. Amazing game.... get it. 62 hours playthrough for me.

#290295 - 05/02/2007 21:44 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Thank you! Ahhh, I just switched it off after a night spent boxing with my gf. I forgot to read my Wii number, but I'll definitely post it soon.

Now, that's a fantastic toy! Wow, if it's fun!!

Now, I wonder why they did not make it a DVD player as well?!

Also, do you knoe if there's any way to make it interface with Nintendo DS? Just curious....

Zelda... I'll get it. Also, I couldn't find any SW game where I could swing a light saber! Qhat are they waiting for???

#290296 - 05/02/2007 21:55 Re: Wii [Re: Taym]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Rumors are that there will be a patch to enable DVD playing in Japan, but not stateside... I wondered the same thing myself.

Quote:
Also, do you knoe if there's any way to make it interface with Nintendo DS? Just curious....

Supposedly this is coming very soon, along with multiplayer online gaming

#290297 - 05/02/2007 22:24 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:

Rumors are that there will be a patch to enable DVD playing in Japan, but not stateside... I wondered the same thing myself.

Hmm, I hadn't heard anything about a patch. I'd heard about a hardware revision that would add DVD support.

The reason is simple - they didn't want to play the "entertainment center" game. Nintendo built a gaming machine. Yeah, it has those channels that add some functionality, but those still really feel like they fit with the system. I think DVD capability might have added a tiny bit to the price as well.

#290298 - 05/02/2007 22:58 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Why? A DVD player does not take anything from the gaming machine. The hadware is all there. Maybe royalties to pay and increased per unit price.

Well, here's my number: 1601 4701 0635 3562

Edit: ok, I've added all the numbers I found in this thread Add me!

Edited by taym (05/02/2007 23:29)

#290299 - 06/02/2007 00:36 Re: Wii [Re: Taym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Why? A DVD player does not take anything from the gaming machine.

That's not what I'm saying. The Wii is a video game console, not a video game console and DVD player and...etc. They wanted to make a video game console only. That's part of their philosophy. I'm not really arguing whether this is right or not, just stressing their agenda.

Regardless, I think it's pretty clear that their philosophy is paying off

Now I must go download Super Mario World. I'm a little scared of what will happen when they start putting out a lot of old games that I want. They're going to have quite a bit of my money

#290300 - 06/02/2007 00:50 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

That's not what I'm saying. The Wii is a video game console, not a video game console and DVD player and...etc. They wanted to make a video game console only. That's part of their philosophy.

Sorry, I guess I was too brief I understood you and I too was not agreeing/disagreeing . I was just going one step further and asking myself why would they have such a phylosophy, since I can't seem to find why that would be convenient in any way to them.

Anyway, not that it makes Wii so much less attactive. I would've liked it as a DVD player, and still bought it

Quote:

Now I must go download Super Mario World. I'm a little scared of what will happen when they start putting out a lot of old games that I want. They're going to have quite a bit of my money

About that, will the game you download be saved in a SD? Or, better, are you getting a physical copy of the sw itself, somehow, or do you have to re-download it if the Wii dies?

#290301 - 06/02/2007 15:19 Re: Wii [Re: Taym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, if you're a modder, you can always go with this.

I'm not certain if you can save games to an SD card. I don't think you can. I think you can move saves to an SD card to back them up, but no VC titles. Apparently the word at the moment is that if your system dies, you lose your downloaded VC titles and have to redownload them. I hope Nintendo figures out a way to rectify that.

By the way, Super Mario World is frustrating on a Gamecube controller. It seems that the button layout of the "classic controller" was the focus, and the GC controller just got mapped so the letters matched up. Consequently you use the small red B button to do a normal jump, the big A button to do a spin jump, and the Y button to dash. It was incredibly frustrating, as I'd keep dashing while riding Yoshi, and I'd instinctively try to jump with the huge green A button, but that meant I'd be jumping off Yoshi.

I guess I'll have to go pick up a classic controller.

#290302 - 08/02/2007 01:27 Re: Wii [Re: Taym]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Now this is brilliant use of the Wii browser:
HomestarRunner Wii Games
Makes me want to get one again. Let's see, does Amazon have any? Nope. Oh well, good thing, or else I'd never get anything done.

#290303 - 08/02/2007 14:06 Re: Wii [Re: Taym]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Well, it could easily take away from the gaming machine if

1) it made the interface more difficult to work with (which can happen when adding additional functionality not related to the core product)

2) it increased the price

3) The DVD software was subpar compared to the rest of the system. This might seem like it wouldn't take away from the gaming portion, but it would. It would be a negative strike in otherwise glowing reviews, giving people a complaining point, and call into question the quality of the product overall. Sure NOT having a DVD player provides a sticking point, but most people (and reviewers) don't seem to upset about it and quickly point to the pricetag as soon as it is mentioned.

4) if the software for the core system lessend in quality due to development efforts spread out to ensure that #3 didn't happen.

Obviously Nintendo felt like some non-game functionality was OK, as they have the picture browsing stuff, weather, etc., but the point is that sometimes adding "low hanging fruit" can decrease the overall quailty of a product even when it seems like it shouldn't. Adding functionaly ALWAYS adds complexity, so the risk has to be compared against the gain. I'm not saying Nintendo was correct in their choice, but I understand their concern.

#290304 - 08/02/2007 14:49 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Who doesn't already have a DVD player? I think that's the main point. DVD playback requires licensing which would eat a small bit of profit annd for what gain? None that I can think of. The machine can only hold a single disc at a time and it's likely to be a game disc.

I would much rather see playback of networked media which makes a bit more sense and is something not everyone already has.

You can buy a DVD player for under $50 - tomorrow maybe it'll be $10. Good for Nintendo to not waste any time/money developing DVD playback software.

Now give me network picture browsing - it's a PITA to swap SD cards.

#290305 - 08/02/2007 16:20 Re: Wii [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You can buy a DVD player for under $50 - tomorrow maybe it'll be $10.

That's my main reason that I'm happy there's no DVD playing capability. I have a standalone DVD player (two, actually) in my home theater. I don't need or want this one to have it too.

And those are as good reasons as I could think of, Jeff. Excellent points.

#290306 - 08/02/2007 16:24 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If it weren't so fricking noisy, I'd be using my game console as my DVD player just to free up a component input on the TV set.

#290307 - 08/02/2007 16:48 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Quote:
You can buy a DVD player for under $50 - tomorrow maybe it'll be $10.

That's my main reason that I'm happy there's no DVD playing capability. I have a standalone DVD player (two, actually) in my home theater. I don't need or want this one to have it too.

Slightly off-topic, but.. with my newish MythTV box now 100% functional, the two DVD players (one of them cost C$25 last winter) are now redundant. I still have one of them (a progressive scan) hooked up, but the video output is so inferior to the MythTV box it ain't funny. On an old fashioned analog TV set, the DVD player was better. But on the 37" LCD TV/monitor, well..

Now it's time to find new homes for a pair of DVD players, as well as the huge Pioneer A/V receiver/mixer, and a couple of VCRs.

Cheers

#290308 - 08/02/2007 16:51 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Well, JeffS, I cannot but agree that if 1, 3, and 4 happened, Nintento would decreatse Wii "quality" rather han increasing. Clearly, my question could be rephrased as: "I wonder why Nintendo did not include a nice, simple but effective, not complex, dvd player".
In other words, I agree that adding any sub-par component is bad, but I was thikning of an at-par (is it correct English?) component.

Thinking of the Wii interface, adding 1 "channel" to play dvds would make it no less nice or simple or versatile, I think. Or, even just using the same channel you use for games, since you either use a game or a dvd, would have been probably even simpler.

I instead agree that 2 is generally true, and is the most likely point that made Nintendo decide against the dvd-player.

As to wanting or not wanting it, that clearly depends on a individual different needs. Who owns any home theatre system, very likely has some advanced stand alone machine and does not need Wii (or any other gaming console) as a dvd-player. Other people may want to free some shelf space, component input, or whatever, just like Tony (and me, for the record. While I don't have a home theatre system in my new apartment, I do have a € 40 dvd player, and need another one in another room. The Wii would have been a nice, simple solution).
As a matter f fact, the market for a small, nice, extra dvd player is there, so I personally do not consider this as a generally valid point for not including a dvd player in the Wii.

#290309 - 08/02/2007 17:55 Re: Wii [Re: Taym]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Thinking of the Wii interface, adding 1 "channel" to play dvds would make it no less nice or simple or versatile, I think. Or, even just using the same channel you use for games, since you either use a game or a dvd, would have been probably even simpler.
I think, however, that simply "adding a channel" is not enough. You have to then write whatever goes into that channel to control the DVD, provide menu options, etc. I have a couple of DVD players, and they are not all the same. My cheapest one doesn't deal with the menus on some DVDs well, and others exhibit other strange behaviors.

So once you add this capability, it DOES add complexity to the product, requires more QA, and will bleed resources (or require more of them) from other poritions of the system.

My Wii is hooked up to a small TV in my study that does nothing but play DVDs and games. I have a seperate DVD player for that room, but it would be nice to have that shelf space back. In short, I've felt like it would be a nice-to-have if the Wii would play DVDs. However, I wouldn't have wanted to pay even $25 more for that functionatlity, nor would I want to sacrifice anything the Wii currently offers.

#290310 - 08/02/2007 19:53 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Quote:

I think, however, that simply "adding a channel" is not enough. You have to then write whatever goes into that channel to control the DVD

Well, true, but I was only referring to the interface layout. That, I think, would not become more compless or difficut to use. Actualy, controlling a DVD in some creative way with the Nunchaku, for example, could 've been something nice and unique. Wii could easily become the nicest dvd player in the market just for that.

The code behind it would certainly become more complex, on the other hand, but that would fall into what we said before in points 1, 3, and 4.
If such complexity caused any of what you said in 1, 2, 4, then I aagree it would not be good; but, that is not necessarily the case.

Quote:

In short, I've felt like it would be a nice-to-have if the Wii would play DVDs. However, I wouldn't have wanted to pay even $25 more for that functionatlity, nor would I want to sacrifice anything the Wii currently offers.

I would have probably paid $25 more, but like you I wouldn't have wanted to sacrifice anything to it.

#290311 - 08/02/2007 20:02 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

So has anyone else played Wario Ware yet? I've only played the single player mode so far, but I can't wait to have people over so I can act like a total fool in front of them. It's really fun.

#290312 - 08/02/2007 20:41 Re: Wii [Re: tfabris]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
If it weren't so fricking noisy, I'd be using my game console as my DVD player just to free up a component input on the TV set.

Thats why I use a receiver for hooking everything up, and then only have one connection to the TV. If you run out on the receiver, you can then plug some directly into the TV, if you really wanted to. If I ever run out of inputs, it means I have to think hard about throwing something away, it means I probably have too much stuff

#290313 - 08/02/2007 20:50 Re: Wii [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:

This is my reason. I never had a DVD player... I used my PS2 up until a month ago. It has finally started being a major pain in the ass for playing DVD-Rs, so I caved and bought a $50 Phillips, which other than being slightly buggy, is awesome because it plays Div-x, avi and mpegs.

But I'd rather have one less component and have the DVD player function in my Wii.

#290314 - 08/02/2007 22:47 Re: Wii [Re: Taym]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
If such complexity caused any of what you said in 1, 2, 4, then I aagree it would not be good; but, that is not necessarily the case.
I think 1, 2, or 4 is likely unavoidable without adding more resources (time, people, whatever) to the product.

I am especially attuned to this topic because I've seen countless software projects end up worse than they should because a user requested a certain "simple" feature be added, and the developers agreed because it was a simple change. What often resulted, though, was consequences neither thought through. Additional configuration, more cluttered UI, more QA and development effort (even minimal, it still has to be done), etc. In the end, the products end up being of a lower quality because of a "simple to add" feature that wasn't part of the core functionality from the get go.

Is this a case of that? I dunno- but I do think engineers and users alike tend to overcomplicate things and make them more difficult to use than they should be. Nintendo has seemed to take a fairly simple approach (though not tunnle visioned- they've definilty added more than just playing game dics to their system) and I like it. I don't know if the DVD thing was added complexity, cost, or both, but I can certainly see the possibilities.

#290315 - 14/02/2007 02:02 Re: Wii [Re: Tim]
drakino
carpal tunnel

New channel is available for free from the store, called "Everybody Votes". It requires a system update, and lets you vote on regional, nationwide, and worldwide topics. Odd thing to see on a console.

#290316 - 14/02/2007 02:46 Re: Wii [Re: drakino]
loren
carpal tunnel

Interesting. * me goes to boot up Wii *

I hope they come up with better uses for all those channel boxes than this.

#290317 - 14/02/2007 04:15 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I hope they come up with better uses for all those channel boxes than this.

Most of the empty ones are likely there for the Virtual Console games. I wonder if the system automatically adds another page when it needs one, or if they will have to do an update for that.

I've already got enough stuff on mine now that the first page is all games with some empty spots, and the second page has all the non game stuff, like weather, shop and news.

#290318 - 14/02/2007 05:49 Re: Wii [Re: RobotCaleb]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I updated the list with more recent posts and added my own friend code/Wii number:
Code:
l0ser		3936 1790 6273 8490
Dignan 2346 2852 4904 8562
drakino 3248 5534 2295 4054
msaeger 7010 4111 2461 3022
ricin 3313 8584 0068 9980
adavidw 6940 1103 2809 4388
loren 1042 3358 6234 5595
visuvius 6427 6579 1576 5804
BAKup 1866 9499 5376 9057
hybrid8 8513 0580 4643 5279
taym 1601 4701 0635 3562