Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#292229 - 04/06/2007 14:58 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: Dignan]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
[snip] I'm very interested in seeing what the next gen iPod would be like, though. I might be interested in getting one, but I know I'd still be dissatisfied with the limited codec support. I don't think I can live with that.

I hear from a reliable source (a friend on the Apple iPod team that was a bit drunk) that the next incremental UI design change for the iPod is going to be tremendous.

I'm personally not an iPod fan or owner, but do follow Apple closely (see the stock lately???)

- Jon

#292230 - 04/06/2007 23:11 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: jbauer]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Hm, my Verizon Treo 650, both the phone and service, suck more and more each day. Maybe time for an iPhone.......

#292231 - 05/06/2007 03:14 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: FireFox31]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I still can't see how a "smart" phone without a real keyboard is going to be truly usable for all the various web/email functions. If an iPhone comes out with a slide-out keyboard or something, maybe I'll consider putting aside my loathing of CingulAT&T. I also see a LOT of early adopter problems coming with these (the project seems very rushed to me, more so than the 1st gen iPods even) and a lot of long lines at the Cingular or Apple stores trying to get them fixed/replaced.

Edited by tonyc (05/06/2007 03:14)

#292232 - 05/06/2007 03:32 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: tonyc]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
If an iPhone comes out with a slide-out keyboard or something, maybe I'll consider putting aside my loathing of CingulAT&T.

If you're with a provider that uses SIM cards, you don't have to deal with Cingular.

#292233 - 05/06/2007 11:15 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: webroach]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
If you're with a provider that uses SIM cards, you don't have to deal with Cingular.

Unless they lock the phone to the provider, and they won't let you unlock it, which is what I do see Apple/at&t doing.

I'd like one, but at&t doesn't work well at my house, so that make the point moot for me.

#292234 - 05/06/2007 12:04 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: BAKup]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Unless they lock the phone to the provider, and they won't let you unlock it, which is what I do see Apple/at&t doing.

From earlier in the thread
Quote:
Also, unlocking phones if your provider won't is legal in the US under the recent DMCA exemptions.

So, if you can get your hands on one, you can make it work on TMobile or another GSM provider, though the visual voicemail feature is likely to stop working.

#292235 - 05/06/2007 19:57 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: drakino]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
So, if you can get your hands on one, you can make it work on TMobile or another GSM provider, though the visual voicemail feature is likely to stop working.

My point exactly. And if you're willing to pay the premium, Tim will sell you one that's already unlocked or he'll unlock yours for $100.

Can't let something like a bullshit vendor lock keep you from having the phone you want. Sheesh.

#292236 - 05/06/2007 20:46 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm wondering if Apple will make people subscribe to the 2-year contract at point of purchase...

Frankly, the traditional phone portion of this device is the least interesting for me. I wonder if Apple plan to have any voice over IP support for this thing. With so much WiFi available as Steve claims, it would be great to bypass the cell tower completely.

#292237 - 05/06/2007 21:20 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: hybrid8]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
I wonder if Apple plan to have any voice over IP support for this thing. With so much WiFi available as Steve claims, it would be great to bypass the cell tower completely.

My N95 is supposed to be able to make voip calls natively but Orange have disabled it. I'm sure the network operators would prefer Steve not to make this a standard feature. For me, given the number of calls I make that aren't already included in my tariff it would cost more to buy airtime on a WLAN network.

Andy M

#292238 - 05/06/2007 23:13 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: andym]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

On an unrelated note, look how much Cisco is timely flaunting IPhone on their sites. Hey, they had the name first.

#292239 - 06/06/2007 01:38 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Cisco should have abandoned their trademark or prevented Apple from using it. Trying to share the same mark will be a disaster for them.

You can run a full page ad in every newspaper in the world every week for the next year for any Linksys iPhone you want. No one will care and no will will know any more about the product than they do now (which is nothing). Apple on the other hand will be the biggest thing in phones of any kind over the next 12 months.

I'll say it again. If the large mobile players (any of them) think Apple doesn't have a chance of hurting their business, they're dead wrong. It might not be in the first few months of the iPhone and it may not even be with the first product revision. But the hurt will come.

#292240 - 06/06/2007 06:26 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: andym]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Andy....

want to remove the Orange locks and unravel the VoIP goodness?

download this program and change your n95 product code to 0534841

http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/files/NSS/NSS103810.zip

1. once program open click phone info
2 . click on read
3. click the enable box next to product code
4. click in the white box where the product code is displayed and delete the product code and type in 0534841
5. now click the write button
6. and thats you done your phone is now a unbraded and sim free nokia
7.open up nokia software update if you dont have have it d/l and soon as you open it the prog will automaticaly detect an update for your fone and will update your firmware for you and thats you done

What you get...

Changes that occur if you upgrade the firmware on the n95

Telephony

Improvements to packet data establishment after changing to roaming
Network

Improvements to number grouping
Improvements to missing calls and new message notifications
Audio routing improvements
Say callers name volume increased to match ringing tone volume
Call reliability improvements
SIM / USAT
SIM certificates supported
SIM card registration improvements

Camera

Video recording starts faster
Video stabilization improvements
Exposure improved
Lens shading improved
Video sharpness and noise improved
Capture tone synchronized with capture moment
Browser
Improvements in images visibility in browser
General stability improvements for browser
Refreshing web page functionality improvements
ROP memory handling improvements
Browser out of memory improvements
General

Out of memory improvements
VOIP
Improvements to automatic redial
WLAN stability improvements
Product name included for USB mass storage mode
Improvements to SD backup
Stability improvements to BT connectivity
Localization improvements
Screen saver default value changed from 5min to 1min
Chinese language typing improvements
Startup settings updated
USB stability improvements
General stability improvements
Multimedia menu stability improvements
Multimedia menu startup time improved
Maps stability improvements
Barcode reader icon changed

Edited by Phil. (06/06/2007 12:08)

#292241 - 06/06/2007 11:26 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I don't think that link works, it wanted paypal information off me.

Andy M

#292242 - 06/06/2007 12:07 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: andym]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

#292243 - 06/06/2007 13:04 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

If Apple truly allows third-party development, you can bet that Skype and other VoIP people will line up to hack themselves into the iPhone. That would make the phone a whole lot more attractive to everybody except AT&T.

#292244 - 06/06/2007 13:16 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
For me, given the number of calls I make that aren't already included in my tariff it would cost more to buy airtime on a WLAN network.

Funny. In the US, there is free WiFi all over the place, but mobile phone charges are expensive. Seems to be the exact opposite over there.

#292245 - 06/06/2007 21:16 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: webroach]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Hmmm, I wouldn't send the U-mobile guy money until I'd seen several happy customers.

Hugo

#292246 - 06/06/2007 23:34 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: altman]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Hmmm, I wouldn't send the U-mobile guy money until I'd seen several happy customers.

Hugo

Actually, I've dealt with Tim before. Nice guy. He's very well known on HowardForums.

#292247 - 27/06/2007 19:54 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: jbauer]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Time to resurrect this thread. I'm also adding a poll to find out whether you're planning to buy the iPhone.

Finally, we've got all the details. Pricing plans are surprisingly cheap (basically $20 for all-you-can-eat EDGE data over the cost of otherwise normal plans). You get locked into a two-year contract, which kinda sucks. (I've got AT&T now with no contract, and I'd like to see some kind of freebie if I'm going to renew my contract.)

The reviewers are saying that the on-screen keyboard works once you figure it out. Over WiFi, everything rocks. Over EDGE, much less so. Great battery life. Great resistance to getting scratched. The multi-touch interface is a winner. Etc.

Lots of stuff missing: No cut-and-paste (say what?). No stereo Bluetooth. No GPS. No chat besides SMS (or web-mediated chat servers). No way to add ringtones. No way to get to the SIM card (?) or battery.

Unclear whether or not they support the Bluetooth modem profile.

Unclear how you'd want to hook this thing into your car.
Are you getting an iPhone?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 27/06/2007 14:54
View the results of this poll.

#292248 - 27/06/2007 20:10 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: DWallach]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
No way to add ringtones. No way to get to the SIM card (?) or battery.

Ringtones are rumored to be part of iTunes 7.3, likely to be pushed out here soon, but no real confirmation on this. Seem like a big step back to not allow users to put their own ringtones on, but I'm sure it's one of those features they bumped to either right at release or in an update.

SIM card access appears to be on the top of the device, however the SIM the phone comes with needs to be activated first to unlock the device in some way. Odds are out of the box the device will be locked to AT&T just like any other phone from a GSM provider here in the US. If they don't unlock them for international travel, etc, I'm sure someone will find a way or force the issue.

The battery, yeah, not user removable kinda sucks. As long as they are pretty easy about allowing replacements somehow, I'm not too concerned. I've never bought a second battery for any of my phones yet.

So far from what I've seen, I'll be getting one day one. Kinda dreading the whole stand in line aspect, but a few coworkers seem interested too, so time should go by quickly enough.

Apple did release a video about the keyboard here. It details the intelligence in it and for typing normal english, should work out really decently. Not only does it do basic spell check, but it also is doing positional checking. The example they showed in the video is the word "time". Typing out "tim" causes it to search the dictionary for the next possible letters, and enlarge the touch area around likely characters. So the e ends up having a larger spot to tap it, while w and r next to it shrink. The on screen graphic however doesn't change, just the touch area it registers for each letter.

#292249 - 27/06/2007 20:59 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: drakino]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
As one of the reviewers noted, it works better when you "use the force". Whether you have to "reach out with your feelings" too is not specified

Hugo

#292250 - 27/06/2007 22:42 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: drakino]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
The battery, yeah, not user removable kinda sucks. As long as they are pretty easy about allowing replacements somehow, I'm not too concerned. I've never bought a second battery for any of my phones yet.

The point of being able to remove the battery is that you can, absolutely positively, shut the thing off when necessary.

#292251 - 27/06/2007 23:27 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: gbeer]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Quote:
Quote:

The point of being able to remove the battery is that you can, absolutely positively, shut the thing off when necessary.

What am I missing here? Does the power button on your phone not completely turn your phone off?

As for getting one. I gotta admit I want it. I've been holding off on getting a new phone for quite a while waiting for a decent cybershot sony ericsson to come out and get cheap, so I'm in the mode of looking for a new phone. While the iPhone doesn't exactly foot the bill of what I was waiting for... it's going to be incredibly hard to not plunk down the cash, especially given my new work situation and that it'll be a write off. And unfortunately for my empeg, this might finally allow me to carry one device in my pocket that carry's my music (I know I know... not very much of it), has a reasonable camera for emergency photos, a phone, internet access, and doesn't run Windows (i.e. has a killer interface).

I won't however be camping out for one... that's the day I'm driving to Utah. But you can bet once I'm unpacked I'll head to the store to feel one in my own grubby hands. That'll be the deciding moment. Not gonna order one without playing with it first and seeing how it feels in my pocket.

#292252 - 28/06/2007 00:00 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: loren]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What am I missing here? Does the power button on your phone not completely turn your phone off?

"Roving bugs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_listening_device#Remotely_activated_mobile_phone_microphones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_list...io_transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_phone_tracking#Privacy

Attachments
300949-smiley_alien.gif (264 downloads)

#292253 - 28/06/2007 00:13 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: ]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Roving bugs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_listening_device#Remotely_activated_mobile_phone_microphones

:rolls eyes:

Honestly, do you keep your battery out of your phone unless you have to make a call?

Really, this is silly. My iPod's battery isn't removable either, but if somethin goes wrong with it, I can get it replaced at the Apple store (albeit for a small fee, but no more expensive than 3 years of AA batteries). I see no reason to expect the process will be any different with the iPhone.

And if you're really concerned about the <Hannibal Lecter> FBI </ Hannibal Lecter> hitting you with a roving bug, may I humbly suggest ditching the phone and using Post-It Notes?

I mean, I care about privacy, but c'mon, let's not be silly about it now.

#292254 - 28/06/2007 00:25 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: webroach]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a news article on it:
http://news.com.com/FBI+taps+cell+phone+mic+as+eavesdropping+tool/2100-1029_3-6140191.html

Security-conscious corporate executives routinely remove the batteries from their cell phones, according to James Atkinson, a counter-surveillance consultant who has worked closely with government agencies.

It's not just the FBI either, apparently:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/front/topphoto/story/91460.html

#292255 - 28/06/2007 00:35 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: DWallach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

I'm eagerly looking forward to trying the iPhone hands on in a store. It's going to take a HECK of a lot to give up my Treo keyboard for a touch screen keyboard, especially if the letters are shrinking and growing on their own.

I like the perfection of discrete input, like keyboards. The inaccuracies of continuous input, like mice and touchscreens, just makes me crazy. Hopefully iPhone is brilliant enough to make it work well.

And yes, I'd like to take the battery out for absolute confidence that it won't ring. One time at a classical music concert, I turned off my StarTac and it somehow rang. Now, before concerts, I resign the battery to my left pocket and the phone to my right. I will never be embarrassed like that again. I eagerly await the "battery door" hack to iPhone.

Verizon, I've waited over a year for your service to improve, and it hasn't. You will be abandon for AT&T after 6/29/07, be it on an iPhone or a used unlocked Treo 650.

On that note, if anyone has an excelent condition, American, unlocked GSM Treo 650 they want to sell to fund the iPhone purchase, let me know.

#292256 - 28/06/2007 01:57 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:

I don't know if this is what he was talking about or not, but I've had phones in the past that locked up enough that the only way to recover was to remove the battery. I mean, I guess you could maybe wait for the battery to run completely down, but that's bound to be days.

#292257 - 28/06/2007 03:29 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: altman]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Whether you have to "reach out with your feelings" too is not specified

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

#292258 - 28/06/2007 04:40 Re: Apple iPhone announced. [Re: ]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Roving bugs"

Don't forget your http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >