Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#340133 - 05/12/2010 01:24 Photoshop Lightroom (was Elements)
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Does anybody uses it? Do you recommend it? Do you recommend any competitor with more or less the same feature set?

I just think it is time I get some good tool to manage my photo collection. I want a good and quick photo viewer; I want to tag my photos; do some basic editing if needed; produce slideshows; and possibly have some face recognition feature like Picasa has. I want to be able to nicely and effectively edit exif data, search for it, sort and search pictures based on it, etc.

It seems to me that PS Elements Lightroom is the classic choice, here, but maybe there's another recommended product out there? Or maybe PS Elements is NOT recommended?

Edit 1: I've also been looking at ACDSee, since I used to have it when they had a free version. How is it these days?

Edit 2: I am currently using Picasa for all this, but it is prooving a bit too buggy and feature limited.

Edited by taym (05/12/2010 01:40)
Edit Reason: Got confused between Lightroom and Elements.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#340134 - 05/12/2010 01:30 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Free = Picasa
$$ = Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

That's about all I can recommend at the moment.

I haven't used a recent version of Elements since I have the standard version of Photoshop. However, Photoshop (and at least Elements also used to be) more pixel-based and, IMO, not nearly as useful for photography, especially image management and metadata, as Lightroom.

#340135 - 05/12/2010 01:35 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Oh, I am getting confused, then.
I too have the complete version of PS, and I think I am then confusing Ligthroom with Elements. I'll go and look back at Adobe website.

Ok, yes, I meant Lightroom. Thanks Bruno and sorry for the confusion.

Back to topic, I don't mind spending some money if its worth. I am now downloading the demo...

Edited by taym (05/12/2010 01:41)

#340138 - 05/12/2010 02:06 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Yes, check the demo version out. It's a nice way to manage a photo collection, especially a growing one. Its metadata support is robust, however it doesn't have a very good metadata and keyword editing interface. Overall however, I do think it's the best program of its genre.

#340139 - 05/12/2010 02:29 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Ok, I am importing my collection now...

Bruno, do you also use it as your main photo viewer?

And, does it have face recognition?

#340140 - 05/12/2010 02:37 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It does not have face recognition. It also lacks decent GeoTagging support - it can list the coordinates and send you to Google Maps in a web page but that's it - no editing coordinates, no built-in mapping, etc. I would find this more valuable than faces, but these two options are two of my most wanted "non-essential" items.

I can't say I use it as a photo "viewer" unless I know I want to go and work on a specific photo or find a photo. That is to say, I use a number of other programs to quickly look at images of all kinds on a daily basis, however I use lightroom to manage my digital photo library. SO when I'm looking for something or I want to show someone a number of shots, in those cases, I suppose I do use it as my viewer.

Photo collections and photo files are getting bigger all the time, that said, make sure you have a system with decent specs to run Lightroom. I don't find it especially quick on my 2.9GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro.

#340143 - 05/12/2010 06:37 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Lightroom is an amazing tool, I use it to manage my quickly growing collection of photos. I have to say though that I don't think it's organisational skills are the best, compare it to something like iPhoto and for most consumers that has a much better interface and is much more user friendly.

Lightroom forms part of my structured workflow, and as an image tool it does some really amazing things, the new noise reduction and lens correction features are simply amazing. LR takes hours and hours off my workflow, but I work with large volumes of pictures maybe 1500 at a time, this is what it is designed to do, not catalogue a family photo collection. Although it can do this of course.

I'd look at all the options and find the best one for you, you've made a good choice to start off with but it may not be the right one for you.

Cheers

Cris

Edited by Cris (05/12/2010 06:37)

#340144 - 05/12/2010 13:50 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Cris]
Taym
carpal tunnel

... so, I am reading Elements does face recognition. I am confused on Adpbe's line up. Element, as I read on the website, does not really seem to be a subset of Potoshop.

#340148 - 05/12/2010 16:25 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

If you're leaning toward Elements, which I do see has some organization now, I would suggest staying FREE with Picasa. Otherwise keep testing Lightroom and I'm sure you'll find that $199 is a decent amount to spend on this type of software.

There really aren't any programs out there for Windows that can compete with Lightroom. If you had a Mac you might like Aperture instead (I don't however, mostly due to its photo/file management style).

#340150 - 05/12/2010 19:57 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

I don't mind at all Lightroom. It just misses a face recognition feature, which I find fun. And, for simple daily viewing pictures, you have to use other software. But, that's not a big deal. Windows 7 viewer is basic but ok.

Still, having one single piece of software would be nice.

I am giving another try at ACDSee, which was pretty good a while back, I remember.

#340151 - 05/12/2010 20:05 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The newer version(s) of ACDSee do have some asset management capabilities and I believe some editing features. You could conceivably use it instead of something like Lightroom, but it's an entry-level program and doesn't really offer the growth possibility found in Lightroom.

By the way, you haven't mentioned why you don't (want to) use Picasa? It has asset management, editing, viewing, metadata and facial recognition.

#340154 - 05/12/2010 20:23 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Picasa has one big known bug which has not been resolved for the last year, that is it's viewer executable is not killed when you close it. So, if you want to use it to view pictures, you end up with tens of threads left open. Each will take 5MB RAM circa. It happens on both 32 and 64 bits versions of Windows since XP on, and the net is full of complaints not being addressed, so far.
Consider that my PC gets rebooted only when updates require me to, so basically I end up with tens of dead threads taking each 5 MB of ram...

Also, viewer ins not completely integrated into the rest ofthe software, and moving from one to the other is annoying (I want to be able to see an image full screen, then go back and browse, and it requires way too many clicks. There are other minor things. Essentially, I like it overall but there's some room for improvemente and since I don't mind spending some money on a product to manage my collection and view it, I am hoping something is in fact out there.

Lightroom is very nice, I think, but i lacks the "viewing" part, mostly. And face recognition.

I don't know, I still haven't found something that makes me happy enough to stop searching smile

#340155 - 05/12/2010 20:35 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Well, the viewing in Lightroom sounds worlds better than Picasa then.

You can double-click an image thumbnail in the Library view to expand it to fill the library area and then use the mouse wheel or keyboard to navigate to the next/previous images. You can easily make the rest of the UI disappear and go full screen on the thumbnails or the current image and have the same navigation. CTRL-SHIFT-F in Windows.

#340157 - 05/12/2010 21:34 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Well, it is better in many ways, but it is not in others. For example, I like to open my files directly from the file system, and in that case it just does not work the way I want, which is the way all viewers work: they bring up the picture on screen. If you open a specific file with lightroom, it opens in import mode.

But yes, if you start lightroom first, then the viewer is not bad at all.

TO elaborate more - and it really depends on your personal preference - what I do is:

I very often browse through my collection by simply using Windows explorer.
When I do, I have it setup in either thumbnail view or detail, and switching between the two is one click.
In detail view, I have focal length, camera name, date taken, lens, and other detail listed, and I can quiclly sort or narrow down the view by date range, focal length or whatever parameter. I find it quite effective and I don't see myself abandoning this basic but effective way to access my photo collection.
Now, when I want to view a picture full screen, Windows photo viewer is just average. Picasa is just as quick, if not quicker. Way nicer in the way it brings up the picture on screen.
But then, there are times, often, when I want to switch from viewing a single picture, to a more advanced tool for more features. So, from the full screen or windows view of a specific picture, I've been used to hit enter or other 1-click methods to start an more advanced application (I got used to this by ACDSee, years ago, and found this same behavior in mosti viewers for Windows, such as Firesone, Irfanview, etc).
Now, this is just not happening with Picasa. You need to start it from scratch EVEN IF you're viewing an image with PicasaViewer (a separate exe in the sw package).
Of course, Lightroom is worse in this specific regard.
Once I am in the "advanced" image manager, I'd like to have all features of a more complete image manager: tagging, creating dynamic collections, face recognition, possibility to create slideshows, EXIF group editing, advanced searching, etc.

Photo editing is not much of a need, since I use Photoshop for that. Of course, rotating and cropping comes very handy in any case.

So, Lightroom seems to have most of it, but it is the fast viewing that just does not match what I like to do. And Picasa is a bit too buggy.

So, not that I can't live with Picasa, but I am just searching for something "better", from my perspective.

#340158 - 05/12/2010 22:20 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Lightroom can completely replace Photoshop for most photographic needs. I will only use Photoshop for a "photo" if I need to do any type of fakery-type manipulation to it. That's more a form of painting, illustration or compositing rather than "editing." Stuff not normally part of a traditional photographic workflow.

Using Lightroom is also completely non-destructive as all edits are stored as metadata.

If you want to continue to use Photoshop and you would not use any editing features in Lightroom, it may be too much for you.

You should definitely keep a separate program for quick viewing, regardless of what you use as a library/asset management app. The two types of programs are distinctly different and in my opinion, diametrically opposed. It is simply not possible to have one program be very good at both things.

In that light, I use Lightroom for all my management and library browsing. For quick image viewing I use a program in Mac OS called "Xee" which is very much like very old versions of ACDSee - it doesn't have a thumbnail browser and it's insanely fast compared to other tools. It also supports pretty much every image format under the sun, including all my old Amiga IFF. However, I don't use this program, Xee, to browse images that are in my photo library folder structure. I just have way too many images and the UI in Lightroom is much better suited for finding things than browsing the file system.

Xee, and even Lightroom for that matter, allow you to quickly open an image into another program.

Based on your first post, I still think Picasa and Lightroom are your two best options, with the possibility of the newer ACDSee PRO as a third option. You can then still use a fat Explorer-based viewer if neither of those suits you in that regard. I'm not certain if ACDSee Pro still tries to do that like the older non-pro versions used to.

#340159 - 05/12/2010 22:20 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Lightroom can completely replace Photoshop for most photographic needs. I will only use Photoshop for a "photo" if I need to do any type of fakery-type manipulation to it. That's more a form of painting, illustration or compositing rather than "editing." Stuff not normally part of a traditional photographic workflow.

Using Lightroom is also completely non-destructive as all edits are stored as metadata.

If you want to continue to use Photoshop and you would not use any editing features in Lightroom, it may be too much for you.

You should definitely keep a separate program for quick viewing, regardless of what you use as a library/asset management app. The two types of programs are distinctly different and in my opinion, diametrically opposed. It is simply not possible to have one program be very good at both things.

In that light, I use Lightroom for all my management and library browsing. For quick image viewing I use a program in Mac OS called "Xee" which is very much like very old versions of ACDSee - it doesn't have a thumbnail browser and it's insanely fast compared to other tools. It also supports pretty much every image format under the sun, including all my old Amiga IFF. However, I don't use this program, Xee, to browse images that are in my photo library folder structure. I just have way too many images and the UI in Lightroom is much better suited for finding things than browsing the file system.

Xee, and even Lightroom for that matter, allow you to quickly open an image into another program.

Based on your first post, I still think Picasa and Lightroom are your two best options, with the possibility of the newer ACDSee Photo Manager or ACDSee Pro as third and fourth options (wow has ACDSee changed a lot in the past few years!). You can then still use a fast Explorer-based viewer if neither of those suits you in that regard. I'm not certain if the new ACDSee versions still tries to do that like the older versions used to.

ACDSee Pro however costs $169 which is only 30 less than Lightroom - that would take it off the table for me. The other version is $70 versus Picasa's free. But, if Picasa's bug is as you describe, that's something horrible to have to live with - unless of course you can avoid using its viewer and pick something else for that part of your usage...

#340160 - 05/12/2010 22:33 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8

Ok, I've been trying ACDSee Pro Demo in the last hour, and I am impressed. I suspend any judgement so far, as I'd like to play with it for a while, and do the same with lightroom, but so far ACDSee is impressive. It is in many ways similar to lightroom, so one of the two companies copied the other in terms of GUI and some of its paradigms.

But, it is very very powerful. You should give it a try, if you haven't, Bruno. As you said, it has changed a lot.

In any case, yes, I see what you're saying, but I don't agree it is impossible to have a program good at both things - quick view, library mgt.
Maybe it's not out there, which is possible, but I think it's worth searching a bit. smile

My collection is fairly large, now, and I've been postponing this for a while. ACDSee is promising, I have to tell you.

#340164 - 06/12/2010 01:05 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I'm similarly disappointed in Picasa, but for slightly different reasons. Using the Mac version, I haven't noticed that particular memory leak bug, but I have been very disappointed in the infamous disappearing database problem when your collection is on a network drive. Basically, if your network share (mine is NFS) goes away for any reason, all of your folders disappear, and the next time you start it up, it has to rescan everything. It appears to have gotten better in recent versions, but I've still had my collection disappear a few times in the most recent release, even once when I'm certain my file server was up and the share was accessible.

I'm also disappointed that there's still no support for hierarchical albums, and the editing tools are pretty bare-bones. Yeah, it's free, and yes, it's still a very good program, but with Google's oomph behind it, I really thought it would improve faster than it has, especially given how so much of Facebook's appeal is the picture sharing. I'd think Google would be aggressively pursuing an integrated photo solution, but progress on the Picasa desktop applications has been about as fast as I remember it from the pre-Google days.

#340165 - 06/12/2010 01:17 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: tonyc]
Taym
carpal tunnel

ACDSee is proving nice, but I can't get it to find the lens used in my picture. It must be in the exif data because Lightroom finds it. And, tagging is still a mystery to me in ACDSee. It kind of work, tags are called "keywords" in ACDSee, but to apply them is not even nearly as quick and easy as in Lightroom and Picasa.

As a viewer, ACDSee proves great as I remember it was years ago.

It's a bit frustrating because these three programs are just one step away from doing what I want.

#340166 - 06/12/2010 01:34 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: taym
ACDSee is proving nice, but I can't get it to find the lens used in my picture. It must be in the exif data because Lightroom finds it.

Google for this. That information may be part of "maker notes" which not every program that supports exif will be able to read/handle.

Quote:
And, tagging is still a mystery to me in ACDSee. It kind of work, tags are called "keywords" in ACDSee, but to apply them is not even nearly as quick and easy as in Lightroom and Picasa.

"tag" is a misnomer for this. "keyword" is actually the proper term, so ACDSee is using it correctly. Some people will use the word "tag" to describe an IPTC or EXIF "field."

I'm not crazy about Lightroom's support for keywords either, but at least it's somewhat usable and does support hierarchical keywords. A lot more can be done here and there are at least a couple of third-party programs for this purpose for Mac OS alone.

#340174 - 06/12/2010 10:04 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

.... and, ACDSee does not do face recognition either.

Thanks Bruno for all the insights and info so far.

#340175 - 06/12/2010 11:44 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Picasa has one big known bug which has not been resolved for the last year, that is it's viewer executable is not killed when you close it. So, if you want to use it to view pictures, you end up with tens of threads left open. Each will take 5MB RAM circa. It happens on both 32 and 64 bits versions of Windows since XP on, and the net is full of complaints not being addressed, so far.
Consider that my PC gets rebooted only when updates require me to, so basically I end up with tens of dead threads taking each 5 MB of ram...

In case others think this bug exists universally for Picasa users (I read it that way initially), I haven't had this issue on any of my systems.

#340181 - 06/12/2010 14:02 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

My ten cents:

If your whole life is JPEG pictures, then Picasa is pretty damn good. You can write arbitrary text into the captions and do full-text search on them. Picasa doesn't play nicely with network shares, but it does rescan JPEGs insanely fast. The guy who wrote Picasa was a serious performance nut, so everything it does is just stupid fast.

If you want a workflow involving raw images, sadly, you should forget Picasa and use Adobe Lightroom. Lightroom 3, in particular, finally has decent noise reduction and lens distortion correction built-in. You can also get plugins that make it easy to export to Flickr or Picasaweb or whatever else. Lightroom has an insane amount of control over metadata. You can apply arbitrary text tags to images and later search for them. You can also tag with stars (0-5), flags (thumbs up or down), colors (five or six of them), and title/caption.

Keep in mind that Lightroom requires a much faster machine to make up for its inexplicably poor performance.

#340188 - 06/12/2010 15:15 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: DWallach]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: DWallach
Keep in mind that Lightroom requires a much faster machine to make up for its inexplicably poor performance.

Yes this is very true, it is quite sluggish on my Mac Pro. It likes to have lots of memory and fast disks and even then it doesn't seem too fast at anything really. What it lacks in performance it gains in quality though, the output is superb if you are using a RAW workflow.

Cheers

Cris

#340189 - 06/12/2010 15:21 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The thing that bothers me most about Picasa is that its integration with Picasa Web Folders is abysmal. I effectively just treat them as two separate entities.

#340212 - 06/12/2010 21:05 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Dignan]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Picasa has one big known bug which has not been resolved for the last year

In case others think this bug exists universally for Picasa users (I read it that way initially), I haven't had this issue on any of my systems.

It seems to be related to user permission context. If you run the main EXE as Administrator, it will not happen. But, even if you are an administrator and run Picasa by opening direclty an image file, the problem persists. Or at least, this happens to me and many others, it seems.

Originally Posted By: DWallach
If your whole life is JPEG pictures, then Picasa is pretty damn good. You can write arbitrary text into the captions and do full-text search on them. Picasa doesn't play nicely with network shares, but it does rescan JPEGs insanely fast. The guy who wrote Picasa was a serious performance nut, so everything it does is just stupid fast

Indeed, it is fast. My life is almost entirely JPEG. However, I am trying to play with RAW, just for fun, in the future. If I had to spend money on some program, I'd like it to work with RAW. Now, Picasa is free, so ok. Lightroom is probably the best in dealing with RAW, I am told here and elsewhere. ACDSee does deal with RAW, but would not know how well.
In any case, at least currently, RAW is not primarily important.
My collection is entirely on a network drive, and I am planning to keep it like that in the forseable future, as it is being accessed by two laptops, my (new/fast) machine, and possibly, at some point, by an HTPC which I will be installing in my living room.

Quote:

I do have a new and very fast machine, SSD based, so Lightroom opens fairly fast, fortunately. But, picasa is faster, in any case. ACDSee is just as fast as Picasa when used as a simple image viewer. When browsing through the image collection, it seems a bit faster than lightroom but definitely slower than Picasa.

ACDSee is looking really interesting. It is extremely powerful, and while not as feature rich as Lightroom, it can definitely compete with it in terms of photo collection management and organization. It beats Lightroom as a viewer, and as a viewer is more feature rich and versatile than Picasa.
I would be leaning towards ACDSee if it wasn't that I'd like some more power in reading Exif and similar data out of my pictures.
Indeed, you can associate keywords to any picture and then search for it. It saves searches so to create smart collections like Lightroom. Logic operators for searches seem to me just as good as Lightroom ones.

I'll keep playing...

#340217 - 06/12/2010 21:50 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Picasa has one big known bug which has not been resolved for the last year

It seems to be related to user permission context. If you run the main EXE as Administrator, it will not happen. But, even if you are an administrator and run Picasa by opening direclty an image file, the problem persists. Or at least, this happens to me and many others, it seems.

I am an administrator, but it does not happen when I open images directly. I've opened a dozen files and I don't see any weirdness from Picasa's file viewer.

#340227 - 07/12/2010 00:15 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
The thing that bothers me most about Picasa is that its integration with Picasa Web Folders is abysmal. I effectively just treat them as two separate entities.

I second that ! It works if I upload everything from the main computer that has Picasa on it but if you upload a picture from another source it will almost never download it onto my main computer.

Matt

#340243 - 07/12/2010 13:41 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: Taym]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

One other random bit of advice. Lightroom makes it easy for you to convert from "native" raw files to Adobe's DNG format. Do not do this. Keep everything in its original format. This gives you more flexibility later. For example, the authors of Bibble are adamant that they won't support converted DNG files. They do, however, somewhat interoperate with Adobe's xmp "sidecar" files which Lightroom writes out next to your raw files, to hold all the metadata you add.

#340246 - 07/12/2010 14:18 Re: Photoshop Elements [Re: DWallach]
Taym
carpal tunnel

... speaking of which, I am also considering technology lifecycle. Once you start tagging your collection, it is a massive amt of work that you put into it, and definitely you don't want to lose it. Both Lightroom and ACDSee and Picasa will create a fairly large DB (2-4 GB for each fo the above mentioned sw, in my case) including thumbnails and metadata.
Now, in this specific regard, I'd feel safer that Lightoroom will survive for years, and should it ever disappear, it is so widely and professionally used that converters to extract data from its db to be migrated somewhere else will likely be available when needed.

But, how about ACDSee or Picasa. How unlikely is it that Google or ACDSystems just stop development at some point in the future and you're left with an outdated software and its huge locked proprietary db?
Maybe I'm paranoyd smile or as usual looking for the non-existent definitve tool, but from this perspective Lightroom makes me more comfortable.

Still, as a product, ACDSee is the closest to what I personally want and like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >