Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#34147 - 14/08/2001 16:05 Re: Setting the empeg's IP address [Re: tfabris]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
I've got DisplayServer self starting with the noauth option set. I'll keep trying although I'm running out of options. When is someone going to write a 'empeg For Dummies' book that tells us less able owners all the tricks and tips?

Steve - 18GB Mk II Sssmokey

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons

#34148 - 24/08/2001 16:08 Re: Setting the empeg's IP address [Re: srhodes]
srhodes
enthusiast

Okay, so after 1 ½ months of messng I am finally getting somewhere. I can connect using a network cable and not having to connect to the web first but the mp3s that I choose stream really slowly. I started using MusicMatch which failed miserably. I have now installed MS Media Player 7 but I have to wait a few minutes to download the whole track or play it a bit at a time.

Any ideas?

#34149 - 24/08/2001 16:14 Re: Setting the empeg's IP address [Re: srhodes]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is the empeg the only other ethernet device you've got? Or are you running other computers on the network? Check and see if other computers transfer files just as slowly.

One silly question, possibly unrelated:

Did you ever use a utility to alter your network packet settings? For example, there are some utilities available that will alter your TCP/IP settings to improve performance in dial-up online games. They would change things like the "Max MTU" and "Default RCV window" values in the system registry.

I had a friend who tried that once. Changing those settings made a miniscule improvement in his dial-up games, but absolutely killed his LAN network performance.

#34150 - 24/08/2001 16:43 Re: Setting the empeg's IP address [Re: tfabris]
srhodes
enthusiast

The empeg is connected with a crossover cable so is the only other device connected via a lan card to my PC. In one of my many attempts to connect through the browser without connecting to the web first a friend suggested that I install Personal Web Sever. Could this have affected the settings you suggested?

#34151 - 24/08/2001 17:16 Re: Setting the empeg's IP address [Re: srhodes]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hmm. Depends on the configuration of the personal web server. You can de-install it if you want.

Don't know why he'd suggest installing that, as it doesn't have anything to do with what you're trying to do.

#34152 - 25/08/2001 11:46 Re: Setting the empeg's IP address [Re: tfabris]
srhodes
enthusiast

In reply to:

Hmm. Depends on the configuration of the personal web server. You can de-install it if you want

Apologies - I should've said that this wasn't actually what resolved the problem of needing to connect to the web before I could connect to my empeg. I'm too embarrassed to say what the real solution was. I deinstalled PWS soon after installing it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2