Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#343484 - 17/03/2011 14:44 Re: Barack's US is the same old same old [Re: JBjorgen]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
At the uppermost layers, where "blindly believe this" proclamations generally originate, the "Church" for much of the past 1000 years has been little more than a massive Mafioso style of organisation. Much much more concerned with profit and politics than with understanding what God wants.

So "church as a whole" has zero weight for me, despite the years I wasted trying to figure them out.

The translation you're quoting is probably not true to the original speech, so I wouldn't place absolute trust into specific words translated 3rd hand from somebody's memoirs that were likely written far after the original conversations.

The general gist of it, sure, but specific wordings? Forget it.

Cheers

#343485 - 17/03/2011 14:53 Re: Barack's US is the same old same old [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: andy
We'd better hope that Bitt's ancient Greek is up to scratch then wink

The best I can do is link to something that is an authority on Koine Greek.

Strong's Concordance shows that the word translated here as "commanded" is used only four times before that in Matthew, and it seems remarkably unlikely that Jesus was intending for them to only follow those four specific things.

#343486 - 17/03/2011 15:21 Re: Barack's US is the same old same old [Re: mlord]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
To be fair, I posted the NIV for whatever reason, which is far from a "literal" word for word type translation of the sources we have anyway.

I think the notion being conveyed is pretty clear, though, whether the word commandment was used or not.

When someone says something like "all authority on heaven and earth" and then follows it up with an idea of something you are supposed to do, I don't generally take that as a suggestion.

#343487 - 17/03/2011 15:26 Re: Barack's US is the same old same old [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
  • Just because a person does not talk about Christianity does not make him un-Christian.

Except for the fact that we're commanded in the Bible to talk about our faith.

Yeah, what I meant was something more like "just because a person doesn't constantly talk about Christianity…".

And this is an excellent clarification, because this is how I originally took what you said. The person who turns every conversation into a discourse on faith no matter what the situation tends to come across (to me at least) as trying to push a personal agenda. This is doubly so if the person doesn't really act on the things he or she is stating. On the other hand, the person who acts in a way consistent with his/her beliefs is much more credible, even if they aren't constantly beating you over the head with said beliefs. And I think that is closer to the point you were trying to make.

#343488 - 17/03/2011 15:36 Re: Barack's US is the same old same old [Re: JeffS]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Mark: There's no point in trying to argue on what the "true" meaning of the text is. Christians feel that they are commanded to do something, and so they do.

One of my former grad students was Mormon, and they have what I understand to be a similarly strong requirement to "spread the word." He never, ever brought up his faith unless you asked him about it.

I find all of this fascinating in contrast with the Jewish notions of conversion, which vary by denomination, but generally work to discourage conversion. If anything, there's notably more internal evangelism toward "secular" Jews than external evangelism to the rest of the world.

(Snide thought: if you think of religions as "memes", then memes that require their followers to spread them are going to be that much more successful.)

#343489 - 17/03/2011 15:47 Re: Barack's US is the same old same old [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: JeffS
When someone says something like "all authority on heaven and earth" and then follows it up with an idea of something you are supposed to do, I don't generally take that as a suggestion.

Me, either. Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy, so I evaluate the "something you are supposed to do" on its own merits.

I don't really get along well with commandments. I'm much more responsive to polite requests. Must be the Canadian in me. wink

#343490 - 17/03/2011 15:55 Re: Barack's US is the same old same old [Re: canuckInOR]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: JeffS

Me, either. Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy, so I evaluate the "something you are supposed to do" on its own merits.

I don't really get along well with commandments. I'm much more responsive to polite requests. Must be the Canadian in me. wink

For me, it depends on the authority. I have no problem submitting to authority if I trust in that authority.

#343497 - 17/03/2011 22:00 Re: Barack's US is the same old same old [Re: JBjorgen]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Do you think that theologians and the church as a whole have gotten it wrong for 1000's of years?

ROFL ... best argument ever.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2