Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#35359 - 30/07/2001 18:35 Tweak Order???
andygjones
journeyman

Just a quick question. What does Tweak Order do? Ive just got a Rio Car and have loaded a few albums but pressing tweak order always just says "No matching *whatever*". not that i know what it does anyway (nothing in manual).

Thanks

#35360 - 30/07/2001 19:13 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: andygjones]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Tweak Order searches the current playlist and finds the next song matching the 'whatever'.
To test it, press the down button on the front panel three times to play the entire disk. then play with buttons the number buttons to tweak the order. Notice that the order gets 'stacked' behind the last tweaked song. That is, you can continue the searches and have the songs line up after eachother.
It's a particularly cool feature if your favourite band comes along and you want to hear more songs by them, just keep pressing '2' to stack up the artist.

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.

#35361 - 30/07/2001 19:20 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: andygjones]
Liufeng

Loc: Alaska
Do you have your Tags filled out? That would make tweak order break.

Reg #2845: Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 #119
Reg #2845: Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 #119, Mark 2a

#35362 - 30/07/2001 19:45 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: Liufeng]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
It also helps to be in "now and next" info mode to see the changes being made.

-Doug
Mk2-12G Blue (Now A/R Green)

#35363 - 30/07/2001 23:36 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: Liufeng]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Ah, Yes. That is essential. There are many threads on here that deal with preferences for tag management. If you have your tags spot on before you drop them into emplode, things will be peachy.
Anyway search the FAQ and this forum for tag software and you'll be right.
If your tags aren't right, you'l have to remove the offending files and re-sync with the updated versions.

Murray 06000047

#35364 - 30/07/2001 23:40 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: muzza]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Andy, remember that the Tweak Order functions are only useful when:

1) You have a lot of tracks on the Empeg (hundreds of albums or more).

2) All of those tracks have their fields filled out correctly (Artist, Album, Year, Genre, etc.)

3) You are in shuffle mode with a very large playlist that contains a mixture of the above mentioned things (a multitude of artists, for example).

4) You're not too close to the end of that playlist.

Then, when you press one of the buttons, it searches the REMAINDER of the current playlist for a match. For example, if you press 2, it searches the shuffled playlist for more entries by that artist.

In the above scenario, Tweak Order can fail if:

- you're near the end of the playlist, and there aren't any more songs by that artist left.

- the artist field isn't filled out, or there are typos in it.

- the playlist isn' big enough to have additional examples of that artist.

#35365 - 31/07/2001 00:13 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Once again succinctly put. Thanks big guy!

Murray 06000047

#35366 - 31/07/2001 17:25 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: muzza]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
A thought for the software gurus on this board (probably mentioned many many times): a tag editor that reaches into the empeg via serial port, mounts the drives r/w has tag editing capabilites (a-la many of those currently out there), then shakes the player's tree (so to speak) to make it rebuild the database? Lastly it issues the read only command.

No offload/reload/rebuild directories issues. I'd buy that for a dollar!

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#35367 - 01/08/2001 01:55 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: Ezekiel]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It's called emplode. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#35368 - 01/08/2001 07:22 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: Roger]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Roger,
Emplode's great for tweaking a few tags, but if you didn't get your tags straight before loading (this is not stressed enough in the documentation, which I did read) you'll end up redoing them on the PC then reloading. I don't think I'm alone in this experience (and not all that purchase the empeg see this board's FAQ's first). As drive sizes & music collections of the average user are growing, this becomes a less & less trivial task. If I read the tea leaves right it seems that Rio/empeg are trying to move from the early adopter group into a more straightforward retail niche (albeit a high end one). I think a more robust tag editor would help that mission. That being said, I don't know what's changed in the next version of emplode. I just think a need exists now and it seems that the empeg crew have a TON of stuff on their collective plates. Hence my appeal to the wizards of this board.

For current users a better tag editor would allow a better experience (for example wanting to go through and adjust a lot of genre or year tags). Offloading & reloading songs is a bit of a hassle and can lead to unintended multiple versions of a song.

I haven't seen the new Rio documentation (so if this is stressed better, please ignore my comments above). Another solution could be to bundle one of the existing PC based tag editors on the install CD so that new owners have the requisite tools to squre things away before loading everything up. Just a thought

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#35369 - 01/08/2001 07:41 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: Ezekiel]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Oh, OK. I see your point. It's been so long since I stopped using the v1.0 emplode, that I'd forgotten just how good the v2.0 one is in comparison .

Provided that you don't want to get your music back off the empeg (i.e. it doesn't actually edit the ID3 tags), the new emplode does everything you're asking for (and more).

But, I accept your point that it's gonna take us a little while to knock out the v2.0 version of emplode, and that somebody else might want to have a stab at it first.

Longer term, I'm trying to maneuvre emplode itself into being a generic tag editor, for use on files on the PC itself. Any results of this effort will probably be unsupported, however.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#35370 - 01/08/2001 21:47 Re: Tweak Order??? [Re: Roger]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

I thought that was the object of this new "server" project that has been mentioned elsewhere. A centralized music/entertainment management system. Isn't that the _long_term_ goal of rio/empeg?

Murray 06000047