Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#361523 - 30/04/2014 07:46 Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I have a Brother HL-4140CN Colour Laser printer, all 3 colour toners need replacing all at the same time. And as these cost more than the printer would do new, I thought this would be a good time to replace a printer I have never been a fan of.

The Brother badly curls the paper, I know this is a common problem with such printers, but as soon as I plugged in the Brother it's something that has bugged me. I'm hoping to find something that handles paper a bit better.

This will be far from a heavy duty cycle printer, and I have an ink jet for any major colour work I need. I just want something to printer nice letters on etc...

Anyone got any strong opinions on what I should be looking at???

Cheers

Cris

Edited by Cris (30/04/2014 10:07)

#361524 - 30/04/2014 09:38 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Cris
Anyone got any strong opinions on what I should be looking at???
I've been satisfied with my HP CP2025DN. It's networkable and has built in duplexing. Cost per page is average for this class of printer. Reliability has been good. A new pickup roller has eliminated paper jams.

I haven't had much experience with other color laser printers, so I don't know worthwhile my opinion is.

tanstaafl.

#361525 - 30/04/2014 10:32 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I've bought a Xerox Workcentre 6505 Colour laser all-in-one printer last year. It supports USB and ethernet (but no wifi). It's got a duplex module which works pretty good. The paper doesn't curl at all.

I'm not a heavy printer user, so I'm still using my first set of toners. The paper has never jammed on me yet.

I'm very, very , very happy with this printer. It replaced a HP inkjet all-in-one which had annoyed me for quite some time (slow, large ink consummation etc). I bought it via one of those "daily deals" kind of things (after doing some research on it), but I haven't regretted it for one second. In fact, this may be one of the best peripherals I've ever bought. I even find the photo printing quality to be very good. Some say an inkjet will do a much better job at this, but then I wonder how much better this can get? It sure lives up to my demands.

#361527 - 30/04/2014 11:10 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

I don't really like anything HP. I can't remember why.

I hadn't thought of Xerox. I wonder if their non-multifunction printers are as good ??? That model looks massive !!! But I'll see if I can find any offers here in the UK.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers

Cris

#361528 - 30/04/2014 11:38 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

I hadn't thought of Xerox. I wonder if their non-multifunction printers are as good ??? That model looks massive !!!

I just measured it. It's 44 x 50 x 55 cm. Not small, but not huge either. I even keep it in the living room and my wife has never complained about it (yet? smile )

To be honest, before I saw that online offer, I never considered Xerox either. Then I started thinking they were the ones who actually invented the laser printing technology, so they must know something about it. This proved to be the case, very much so. As said, haven't regretted my purchase for a moment and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

#361529 - 30/04/2014 14:13 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I like the look of that Xeros (I know you mentioned it in my printer thread too), but I just can't bring myself to order from a non-Amazon merchant for such a big ticket item. The main seller on there has the old 15% restocking fee for all returns. I just can't do that anymore, after so many great experiences returning things to Amazon. It doesn't have to be Prime, but these days if it's something over $100 I only order it online if it's fulfilled through Amazon.

#361530 - 30/04/2014 14:49 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Sorry didn't spot the other thread, sorry for the spam post smile

Interesting thought on Amazon. There seems to lots of reputable stockist here in the UK for Xerox. It's just do I want to spend that much and have something so big in the office !!!

Cheers

Cris

#361531 - 30/04/2014 16:41 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
For what it's worth, we considered the Xerox-of-the-day when purchasing a colour laser multi-function machine here last year. I really liked the looks and the specs, but not the size nor the standy energy consumption of the unit we looked at.

Ended up getting the equivalent Samung unit instead for about $50 less. Smaller, and nearly perfect for our needs. So that's another brand to compare with, especially if size is a consideration.

Cheers

#361532 - 30/04/2014 17:25 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Sorry didn't spot the other thread, sorry for the spam post smile

No worries! You're asking for yourself, I was asking for a different specific use case.

But I agree that Samsung might be worth looking at. I've been using their laser printers for over a decade and always found them to be well made (surprisingly), especially for the price.

This model, for instance, seems good. After all, an official feature is that "The Samsung CLX-4195FW is a valuable player in a multitude of ways." laugh

#361533 - 30/04/2014 18:15 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
This model, for instance, seems good.
I dunno... any product that has the same number of 1-star reviews as it has 5-star reviews makes it suspect in my eyes.

Read the 1-star reviews and note the similarity of many of the complaints.

tanstaafl.

#361534 - 30/04/2014 18:32 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The one we have here is the clx-3305fw. Much better review ratio, especially after filtering out the "hated the software" reviews.

Still, at the sub-$200 price point, quality likely suffers.

#361535 - 30/04/2014 18:44 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

You're probably right about those reviews. Even worse, the price for the toner is pretty bad. Something like $45 for 1K sheets (some say they don't get anywhere near 1K). I've been looking at this Brother color AIO with ~$75 toner replacements rated for ~6K sheets.

#361536 - 30/04/2014 18:53 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

I think Brother got mostly ruled out in post #1 above. smile
And that price would buy a lot of toner for an occasional use situation!

#361537 - 30/04/2014 20:11 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Yea Brother is out. I hate the current printer.

How is the Samsung on the paper curl issue ???

I think I have had a cheap Samsung desktop laser in the past, it got binned when the toner ran out and i could buy something cheaper and better than the toner was going to cost.

Imagine how many printers get dumped because of that !!!

Cheers

Cris

#361538 - 30/04/2014 20:28 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Related thread here from last October. I'm still happy with my Samsung "workgroup class" CLP-620ND. Total overkill for our needs, but we got it cheap.

#361539 - 30/04/2014 22:28 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Hardly any Zero curl from our Samsung here. And yes, I actually purchased a barebones Samsung printer with the same engine as the multi-function machine, just for the extra consumables.

There are also sellers on eBay who can provide third-party refill kits and chip resets, as well as hardware hacks to disable the page-count toner kill feature. Best of all are the hacked firmware images to accomplish the same thing in a more reversible fashion.

I plan to go that route eventually, but not until some of the original toners start registering "empty".

Cheers

Edited by mlord (30/04/2014 23:10)

#361540 - 01/05/2014 00:24 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: mlord]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
I plan to go that route eventually, but not until some of the original toners start registering "empty".
Depending on the design of the printer, that might not be a good idea.

HP laser printers (and for all I know, many others) provide more than toner in their toner cartridges. You get a new drum, new seals, new doctor blade, new developer, and new high-quality toner.

OEM toner cartridges have a designed service life equal to a little bit more than the quantity of toner inside. You can refill them, but you are using a worn-out drum, risking damage (sometimes irreparable) to the printer itself if a seal fails and dumps all the toner into the guts of the printer. It is not uncommon for an aftermarket "rebuilt" toner kit (rebuilt=refilled) to fail in that fashion at its first use because it was not assembled correctly.

In my experience, refilled toner cartridges rarely give print quality as good as a new OEM cartridge, due to worn-out drum and generally inferior quality toner. This is especially true with color laser printers, but even black and white printers show quality degradation.

I just grit my teeth and pay the exorbitant prices for new HP cartridges. I don't print so much that this is too terribly painful, probably only six to ten thousand pages per year. No, wait, a lot less than that. I've printed 10,705 pages in 42 months. In that time, I've gone through all the starter cartridges, then replaced each of the "full" cartridges once, and I think the black one twice. My ratio of color pages to B&W is 2.5 to 1. Assuming about $100 per replacement cartridge, that makes my overall cost about 4.6 cents per page. Not the cheapest printer to run, but not exorbitant either, especially compared to a color inkjet printer. I have been very satisfied with the quality of the output. I've never had an issue with paper curling, and since replacing the pickup/separation rollers, the document feeder has been bullet-proof, even while duplexing.

I was a bit disappointed that I had to spend $40 to replace the pickup and separation rollers after only 10,000 pages, and most of the innards of the printer seem to be made out of plastic, so I suspect that HPs 40,000 page per month duty cycle is a bit, uhhh, optimistic. Of course their recommended monthly page volume is only 2,000 pages.

tanstaafl.

edit: Oh, one more thing... If you dig deeply enough into the printer's menu structure, you can disable the "toner empty" flag and continue printing well past HP's conservative estimate of when the toner cartridge needs replacement. In my experience, I get about 30% more use from the "empty" cartridge.

Edited by tanstaafl. (01/05/2014 00:27)

#361541 - 01/05/2014 01:31 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: mlord]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hardly any Zero curl from our Samsung here...
I have a Samsung CLP-325W colour laser on my home network.

These are typically very cheap on the used market since the WiFi networking is unreliable. However, connect it to a real Ethernet cable and it works just fine.

No paper curling or paper jam issues. Middling print speed, not too noisy. Middling colour print quality.

We do not print very much so it goes through toner slowly here. Cartridges are rated for only 700 pages colour and 1000 pages B&W.

It is reasonably compact in footprint overall.

Edited by K447 (01/05/2014 01:32)

#361542 - 01/05/2014 01:45 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Doh! I totally forgot that the Brother was the source of the issue in this thread. Oops.

#361543 - 01/05/2014 10:53 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Depending on the design of the printer, that might not be a good idea.

HP laser printers (and for all I know, many others) provide more than toner in their toner cartridges. You get a new drum, new seals, new doctor blade, new developer, and new high-quality toner.

OEM toner cartridges have a designed service life equal to a little bit more than the quantity of toner inside. You can refill them, but you are using a worn-out drum, risking damage (sometimes irreparable) to the printer itself if a seal fails and dumps all the toner into the guts of the printer.

Sounds like a big load of FUD to me.
I plan on refilling my Samsung cartridges, not buying third party ones. And at only $100 for an entire new printer, with toner, I'm really not seeing any "risk" here.

Cheers

#361544 - 01/05/2014 11:12 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

I really like the look of the Xerox range, but I can't find any good deals on them at the moment. Why is it always the way! I don't want to drop £400 on a new printer right now, toner for the brother is going to be around £100 for a decent aftermarket solution, so I was thinking of around the £200 mark really.

Hmmmmm I've always hated printers !!!

Cheers

Cris

#361546 - 01/05/2014 20:09 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
OEM toner cartridges have a designed service life equal to a little bit more than the quantity of toner inside. You can refill them, but you are using a worn-out drum, risking damage (sometimes irreparable) to the printer itself if a seal fails and dumps all the toner into the guts of the printer.

Yeah, I'm convinced that's FUD. Wikipedia says:
Quote:
Low-end to mid-range laser printers typically contain two consumable parts: the toner cartridge itself (which has a typical life of 2,000 pages) and the drum unit (a typical life of 40,000 pages). Some toner cartridges incorporate the drum unit in the design and therefore replacing the toner means replacing the drum unit every single time, although some consider this type unessential and therefore not cost-effective.

As far as I know, the worst thing that will happen when your imaging drum gets old and worn out is that your printed pages will start to get a faded look to them, with the black parts not being quite as black as they should be. So if you do hack it to refill the toner without replacing the drum, even if you don't replace the drum when you should be, you're not really risking much. That's been my understanding for a long time.

And the risk? If things go bad and you ruin the printer, now you just have to buy another cheap laser printer that didn't cost much to begin with.

For me, the only reason not to hack the system to get around the toner/drum disparity, is that it's just simpler and easier to use them as-intended.

#361580 - 04/05/2014 12:20 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Dignan]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
Another negative vote against Brother, we have a Brother mono laser MFC and an old Brother fax; both have recurring paper feed problems even after warranty repairs.

Looking at a Xerox colour laser long term, but currently also looking at a CISS for our Canon inkjet MFC.

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#361583 - 04/05/2014 20:41 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Have had a Samsung CLP-680ND for a couple of months now. It's pretty big, and quite noisy in operation. But the duplexer is neat, and the quality is very good, no curling that I've noticed.

Although Samsung still haven't coughed up on the cash back yet, must give them a ring.

Andy M

#361618 - 09/05/2014 13:23 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
This thread just became much more interesting! I have a client who's a realtor, and she prints full-color fliers regularly.

Her old HP - which had good color accuracy and saturation - failed recently after years of use; she's in the market for something new. She just tried a Brother 9340, but the color was a little off and rather washed out, nowhere close to the HP.

Anyone have ideas on a solid multifunction box that has rock-solid color? Duplexing isn't as important as vivid color (it's sales!). She works in letter/legal paper sizes. Document handling for scanning to pdf is important to deal with the massive realtor paperwork load.

thanks,

-jk

#361623 - 09/05/2014 17:50 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I just installed two Xerox color printers in a small office today. The Phaser 6500N and the WorkCentre 6605DN.

I was quite impressed.

The print quality from these printers was phenomenal. The download site for the printers was pretty much limited to PCL and PS drivers and not much more.

The only annoyance was that the 6605DN has a built in scanner, but as far as I could tell Xerox doesn't provide anything in the way of scanning software. It seems like all they give you is TWAIN interface to act as a middleman between scanning software you might have on your computer and the network hardware. In the end, I had to tell the client that they either needed to purchase scanning software (like Vuescan) or only scan from the unit its self. In the end, I'd rather scan from the scanner anyway because it limits your back and forth.

Even setting up network scanning from the printer was a little annoying. As I said, there's no scanning software so there's nothing to signal to printer what the available destinations are. Epson AIO printers, for example, install utilities that signal to a network scanner that they're ready to accept scans. The downside is that they don't always work.

The 6605DN requires scanning to samba shares on Windows machines (not sure about Mac but there were instructions). The computers on this network didn't have static IPs, but fortunately I could identify them by hostname.

In the end I came away very impressed with the Xerox brand. The quality was fantastic. However, I did see some page curl on the printouts that I made. Nothing that bothered me, though.

#361624 - 09/05/2014 17:58 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Our Xerox printers have a utility called Scan2Desktop. I thought it would have been included in the printer, but maybe you have to get access to it online.

http://www.office.xerox.com/software-solutions/xerox-scan-to-pc-desktop/enus.html

#361630 - 10/05/2014 04:59 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

I was recommended a Canon printer yesterday, that specific model was Mono. Anyone had experience with Canon Colour Laser printers?

The specs seem fantastic!

Cheers

Cris

#361632 - 10/05/2014 19:03 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

I just installed two Xerox color printers in a small office today. The Phaser 6500N and the WorkCentre 6605DN.
I was quite impressed.

You're welcome. wink
Quote:

The only annoyance was that the 6605DN has a built in scanner, but as far as I could tell Xerox doesn't provide anything in the way of scanning software.

Mine came with ScanSoft Paperport. But I have to be honest, it was tucked away rather good one one of the added CD's. It took me a while before I found it, too. I agree they could've made that more obvious.

#361635 - 11/05/2014 18:26 Re: Colour Laser Printers - Any Strong Opinions [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Archeon
I was quite impressed.

You're welcome. wink

I'll definitely be recommending them in the future smile Thanks!

One issue might be that they're pretty expensive. I think my client said that the 6605DN was around $900. While I think it was well worth that money, most of my clients aren't looking to spend that much on their printer. It's ~$400 more than the Brother I just set up for another client, which wasn't as nice but it also wasn't $400 worse.

Quote:
Quote:
The only annoyance was that the 6605DN has a built in scanner, but as far as I could tell Xerox doesn't provide anything in the way of scanning software.

Mine came with ScanSoft Paperport. But I have to be honest, it was tucked away rather good one one of the added CD's. It took me a while before I found it, too. I agree they could've made that more obvious.

Now that I think about it, I'd forgotten that the AIO printer had already been removed from its box and put in place before I got there. Once I couldn't obtain scanner software I should have asked for it, but I've just gotten into the habit of treating pack-in printer CDs as garbage. I never use the included discs, and grab the software from the company's website instead. Sadly, Xerox doesn't seem to include that scanning software on printer's download page.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >