Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#49105 - 04/12/2001 21:03 Couple of things.......
stadx2
new poster

Just got my player a couple of weeks ago.
I must say, this is an awesome site to go along with awesome player!

- Need to add an option to overlay a 12 hour clock in the upper right hand corner in small font.

- Eliminate or make it an option to turn on/off the track counting simulator in the Aux input.

- Add a "Line Info 2" to the info section. Having it add 2 lines of info to include Artist and Track on one line, and Album(source) and Year on the other line. Using the small font of course and squashing the visuals a little more.

- Make an option for the track forward/backward rio remote buttons to work as either next preset +/- OR seek up/down in the tuner mode.

- Have the radio station label appear on your last preset listened to when returning to the tuner.

Thats about it. All the bugs I found have been accounted for.

Darren

-Rio Car 16.4G / 2.0Beta
-Tuner
-Green

#49106 - 04/12/2001 21:17 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: stadx2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Congrats on your new toy!

Need to add an option to overlay a 12 hour clock in the upper right hand corner in small font.

How about lower-right corner? Info: Line?

Eliminate or make it an option to turn on/off the track counting simulator in the Aux input.

How about Info: Off?

Make an option for the track forward/backward rio remote buttons to work as either next preset +/- OR seek up/down in the tuner mode

If you hold them down, they will seek.

I agree that it's a little disconcerting to have them not work for the next/prev preset. Confuses me occasionally since it's different from the front panel. But wouldn't you miss the frequency increment?

Actually, what messed me up is that I tried pressing 1 to change the time format in radio mode, and instead selected preset 1. That was confusing for a moment.

Have the radio station label appear on your last preset listened to when returning to the tuner.

That's a strange bug. It's been there for a long time, and although it's been reported as a bug, I seem to recall that there's some kind of a problem with fixing it. Empeg guys, care to elaborate on that one?

#49107 - 04/12/2001 22:34 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: tfabris]
stadx2
new poster

Tony,

Regarding the clock. I just think would be nice to have a clock displaying in a seperate area so you wouldn't have to toggle through other timecodes and/or see it in 24format.

On the Aux in, I would like the info line to stay on so it can still display DVD / TV (the whole point in labeling the input) but without the track info nonsense.

I have the Ford steering wheel in my Explorer with radio buttons "Next" , "Mode", and "Volume +/-" interfacing with my player. It would have been nice to have the "Next" button do next preset instead of seek up to go alone with next track in the MP3 player mode. So right now I have the Kenwood IR code in place for next track(MP3) which doubles as next preset(Tuner), which is fine I guess. I just don't have the press and hold feature in MP3 player mode for FF scan. Now I'm whining, I know.

Now I'm awaiting the IR code patch for the Kenwood Source toggling button which is the "Mode" button on my steering wheel.

Darren

Rio Car 16.4G / 2.0beta
Tuner
Green

#49108 - 05/12/2001 09:46 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: stadx2]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Regarding the clock. I just think would be nice to have a clock displaying in a seperate area so you wouldn't have to toggle through other timecodes and/or see it in 24format.

I agree, and asked for this awhile back. Everyone yelled at me saying that there's already a clock and they didn't want it because of burn-in, to which I replied it could be periodically shifted one pixel in any direction to avoid this (or they could use a lower intensity shade.) In any event, nobody liked the idea. I think having to choose EITHER timecode display OR a clock is frustrating. (Please, no responses telling me to use one of the clock visuals.)

#49109 - 05/12/2001 10:16 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I think having to choose EITHER timecode display OR a clock is frustrating. (Please, no responses telling me to use one of the clock visuals.)

I think one of the best solutions would be to use one of the clock visuals...

I actually agree with you on this, the clock as a selectable info mode is not an ideal solution. Now that I have gone watchless, I either have to fumble around for the remote, figure out where the 1 key is, press it several times, read the time, and cycle it back. This keeps my eyes off the road quite a bit, and my alternate solution is to find my cell phone, find a buttin that will activate the backlight, then wait for it to get rid of the locked keypad message and see the time. Neither of these solutions is that great. It was rather nice the way the clock hack worked in 1.03 since I had an easy way of just glancing at the time, much the same way I do to see the current playing song.

#49110 - 05/12/2001 10:52 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: stadx2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I have the Ford steering wheel in my Explorer with radio buttons "Next" , "Mode", and "Volume +/-" interfacing with my player.

Interesting. Is it going through a Sony converter into the tuner module, or is it using some other interface?

The reason I ask is because the commands from the tuner and the serial port are mapped differently than the front panel and IR commands. Perhaps something can be done for you in this situations.

#49111 - 05/12/2001 13:02 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: drakino]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I would like a switchable wee clock in the bottom right corner

I have too gone watchless and have the same mobile phone saga after my faithful ten pound casio finally died after five years of faithful service. is it just me or has anyone else noticed the relabilty of watchs decreases with price.

#49112 - 05/12/2001 17:26 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: tfabris]
stadx2
new poster

Tony,

The interface I use is made by a company called Peripherals. What it does is read the resistance value on corrisponding button push on the wire from the steering wheel control (e.g. vol.+ = 1100ohms) then converts that reading into a learnable IR command.

Power to the Clock!!!!!

Darren

Rio Car 16.4G / 2.0beta
Tuner
Green

#49113 - 05/12/2001 19:24 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: stadx2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, perfect! You can use Mark Lord's Hijack kernel to remap the remote functions from your steering wheel IR then.

#49114 - 05/12/2001 20:41 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: drakino]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Well... Even if the Empeg guys don't do it, it would be possible to do with Mlord's kernel. Actually there are a couple limitations of the overlay functionality that prevent it from working right, things which I will bring to Mark's attention when he is back in the Empeg kernel hacking business. But if a couple things were fixed, I could get a nice small clock on the Empeg's screen anywhere I want it.

#49115 - 07/12/2001 07:34 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: tfabris]
jdandrea

Loc: New Jersey
Ooh. I wouldn't mind doing this for the Honda Odyssey remote either. I'd rather have it hard-wired in though - no IR. I mean, where would you put it?

#49116 - 07/12/2001 09:22 Re: Couple of things....... [Re: jdandrea]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The IR could attach to your steering column somewhere behind your steering wheel. Since it's a wired solution (at least until the sender) you could actually put it anywhere. As long as the tap-in points to the remote factory wiring is outside the steering wheel, you don't have to deal with the turning of the wheel pulling your wire.

Bruno