Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7064 - 14/04/2000 00:27 What kind of Visual Would you like?
duranike
journeyman

I was wondering if you guys at prolux could use some help or input on what kind of new visuals you could design or copy. I have seen a lot of cool visuasl for winamp that would be cool for you to use. For example; fire that beats and reacts to sound, picture of speekers that bump, a 3D twirl of the spectogram visual (the one where the lines go up and the dots slowly follow from peak to bottom), or by far the coolest, i saw one for winamp where a guy dances to the music. He does like different moves for different beats and the tempo effects his speed. That would be really cool. These visuals are already coded and it shouldnt be hard to convert them right? Does anyone have any other ideas or seen any really cool visuals? Now Mr Prolux, im in no way undercutting your guys orignal visuals. You guys are doing a great job and your the main reason why i decided to go with empeg over other products. What ideas have you came up with and are there any new ones coming soon? Thanks
-Jordan

#7065 - 14/04/2000 09:08 Re: What kind of Visual Would you like? [Re: duranike]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
They're written, yes, but they're written for colour screens, most likely using floating point, maybe in x86 assembler, and for a totally different synchronisation model than the empeg has.

Basically, there's nothing but the raw ideas that could be taken from a Winamp visual - no code could be used.

Hugo
ps: Prolux isn't really "you guys", he's Toby and he's still at university. He's also very good at visuals and I know he's working on new stuff all the time :)

#7066 - 14/04/2000 09:57 Re: What kind of Visual Would you like? [Re: altman]
duranike
journeyman

First part: That sucks!! :)

I aplogize to Toby, i didnt realize it was a one man team, or am i wrong again? Well, thanks anyways Toby for all the swee-ass visuals. Check you later.

#7067 - 17/04/2000 11:44 Re: What kind of Visual Would you like? [Re: altman]
brianosaurus
new poster

While we're on the subject.... Way, way, way back with the 5a or whatever version of software was on my empeg when I got it in September, there was this REALLY cool visual that I only saw maybe twice or three times, which makes me think that maybe it was a bug, but in any case it was cool.

It basically was like the whole screen was changing brightness with the music, but on top of that was a random thing, kind of like filling the screen from /dev/random (ala the demo prog on the developer site) or like a TV tuned to an unused channel.

Maybe the algorithm was something like fill the screen from /dev/random, then change every pixel that is 0 to be the current music-based brightness. I only saw it twice, and haven't seen it since then, so I don't know exactly what it was doing, but it was a pretty killer visual.

Any chance of getting it into the standard rotation?

brian

#7068 - 17/04/2000 14:14 Re: What kind of Visual Would you like? [Re: brianosaurus]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I think Toby dropped that one because it wasn't very spectacular (I suggested it I think... there was also a spectrum analyser where the density of each column of the screen was governed by the strength of that frequency).

Try mailing him and asking him if it'll come back :)

Hugo

#7069 - 17/04/2000 15:38 Re: What kind of Visual Would you like? [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is the second post I've seen which asked for that visual to come back. The other one was months ago, before I even owned an Empeg. I don't remember whether it was here or on the mailing list that I read it. But they were asking about that "random static" visual. Until now, I thought they were talking about the "Tripping Prisoner" visual. Now that I know otherwise, I'm curious to see it. I dunno, though. If Toby thought it sucked enough to remove it, then maybe we shouldn't ask for it back.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7070 - 17/04/2000 18:42 Re: What kind of Visual Would you like? [Re: altman]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Any ETA on the Visual API? Or any API? :)

(O|||||O)

#7071 - 25/04/2000 18:16 Re: What kind of Visual Would you like? [Re: duranike]
rjlov

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Personally, I would like some kind of visual that shows some spectral information and stereo separation at the same time. Something like xsynaesthesia would be nice. Failing that, just a left / right spectrum would be cool.

Richard.

#7072 - 03/05/2000 03:36 Re: What kind of Visual Would you like? [Re: rjlov]
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
I'd like a Visual API, so that I can make my own!

Alex

#7073 - 03/05/2000 15:15 Re: What kind of Visual Would you like? [Re: Alexander]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
me too.. bring on the API

failing that.. i'd like a space one with planets that zoom in and out to the beat

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com

#7074 - 13/05/2000 04:00 Which visual are you all refering to? [Re: tfabris]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
Hi guys,

I'm back after nearly a month of little contact as I have been in North West Spain. I have been sifting through the visuals related posts, and I can't work out which visual you all thought was so amazing that I shouldn't have cut it out of the build. There was a variable density white noise (and therefore not really white noise) visual I wrote a long time ago, but it wasn't really all that impressive, and I wasn't aware that it was ever released. If you like I'll tuck it back into the next build and you can decide for yourselves whether it is worthwhile.

You'll be pleased to hear that I've recently developed an algorithm for modelling fluid flux through large scale crustal fault zones (such as the San Andreas, California). It happens that I can modify the algorithm so that the resulting flux pattern is like a real time calculated flame - I'm hoping that in a future build I can include this to produce real time sound sync'd flames across the screen (Something I've wanted to achieve for a long time).

You'll be interested to hear that I am launching a site dedicated to writing visuals for the empeg where you'll be able to get some useful tips on how its done. The site is at www.empeg.prolux.co.uk but there isn't anything there at the moment. Regarding an API, this will involve a lot of work both for me, and the guys at empeg who are already very busy. I do hope at some point soon to include entry points for all the available primitives (e.g. plot line, plot bitmap, plot triangle, etc.)so that people can start to tie together their own sequences. This will probably develop organically into an API.

Toby

#7075 - 13/05/2000 09:25 Re: Which visual are you all refering to? [Re: prolux]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Great to hear from you again!

The fluid modeling software sounds cool. Can't wait to see some visuals based on it. Did the Empeg guys fill you in on the crashing bug in Hula Hoops? We all loved that new visual. It's a shame I can't leave it up because it crashes the player on certain frequencies.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7076 - 13/05/2000 09:36 Re: Which visual are you all refering to? [Re: prolux]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
Thanks toby! thats great new. i cant wait till the site goes up. A lot of us have been tinkering around and waiting for a chance to play around with a API and develop some visuals.

Your visual work is absolutely stunning. I'm still entranced by funnelweb's complexity to this day. Everyone here looks forward to seeing more of your work.

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com