Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#88604 - 17/04/2002 11:47 The perfect empeg mounting unit :)
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Notice the new engine . What can I say Im a Honda fan.
http://www.suninternational-usa.com/pr_els01.html

#88605 - 17/04/2002 11:56 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: acurasquirrel_]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA

Attachments
86679-vtec2.jpg (182 downloads)

#88606 - 17/04/2002 11:57 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Today is the official "lower the collective IQ of this BBS day". See Off Topic swearing discussion.

#88607 - 17/04/2002 12:00 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA

#88608 - 17/04/2002 12:57 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: acurasquirrel_]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
Here is my empeg mounting unit:

<--Attachment

Attachments
86696-72 datsun 510.jpg (426 downloads)

80gb MK2a empeg spare

#88609 - 17/04/2002 13:12 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Today is the official "lower the collective IQ of this BBS day"

Reminds me of bicycle racing... I have always maintained that the total aggregate IQ of any Juniors pack (racers 11-17 years old) is exactly 100. One rider by himself is just fine. Put four of them in a group and their IQs will drop to 25 apiece. God help us if we ever get a dozen of them racing at once!

tanstaafl.

#88610 - 17/04/2002 14:26 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: tanstaafl.]
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
VTEC is overrated, and my first experience with it was when I bought my S2000 i April 2000. Yeah it is impressive, but nothing to rant about(positively)..

I personally enjoy an equally quick/fast acceleration from a vehicle with gobs of torque.

The S2000 thank goodness has a lot more to offer than its bizarre engine..

btw, I sold my Stook an dnow have a 98 Maxima SE 5 speed, which is my mounting unit..

Hehe, I said mount...

-John M

#88611 - 17/04/2002 18:51 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: jnmunsey]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Driving an engine with redlines that high is for certain people only. True VTEC isnt what all those stupid high schoolers think it is. Its just a way to have high end power without a gutted midrange awesome technology, but its not turbo people.

#88612 - 17/04/2002 21:30 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
err am I missing something or can someone please explain what is meant by "Like the fist time you beat off"?

Yes, well, with a brilliantly running player and no major revisions on the new horizon, the IQ of the group goes down.

#88613 - 18/04/2002 05:01 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: muzza]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Ha! Good catch! That is some kid from Chicago I think...

Doesn't VTEC also allow power AND gas mileage?

#88614 - 18/04/2002 07:01 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Crass humor does not necessarily equaly low intelligence..

I know a lot of crude and offensive dudes who could teach you all about Quantum Mechanics(and know what they are talking about).. If you understand that stuff chances are your IQ is a little above average..

-John M

#88615 - 18/04/2002 08:02 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Actually there are a few type's of VTEC. Most cars have VTEC for gas mileage and a little better power this version comes on civics, accords, pretty much any SOHC engine thats VTEC. Then you have VTEC-E not to be confused with i-VTEC, this can be found on the civic HX it basically keeps an intake valve closed at all times during lower RPMs to create a swirl effect in the chamber allowing the engine to run lean (lean means more power but more heat). Then you have the "real VTEC" this can be found on Integra's, Preludes, NSXs, and Civic Si's. These engines use VTEC primarily for performance purposes. These engine are DOHC engines. This form of VTEC allows decent low end torque and screaming upper RPM power, by allow valve overlap once the secondary cab lobes are activated.

#88616 - 18/04/2002 10:27 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: acurasquirrel_]
Armin
journeyman

Loc: New England
In reply to:

Then you have VTEC-E, this can be found on the civic HX ...

Felt the need to point out that it can also be found in the Insight where it basically gives you 70mpg on the highway.

Armin

#88617 - 18/04/2002 12:29 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: acurasquirrel_]
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
Anyone who thinks that a Performance Car or a Sports Car has ever come from the Japanese Mfg's (except for the NSX) is a moron. Acura never intended the Integra to be a hot rod, it, and cars like it, have just gathered a cult following by the people who don't know what real perfomance feels like. The US and Europe are the only places that TRUE Perfomance comes from.

#88618 - 18/04/2002 12:35 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: bodybag]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I hope you are joking.

Hot Rods do NOT equal Performance cars unless going in a straight line fast and not being able to stop quickly is considered "Performance" for you.

#88619 - 18/04/2002 12:45 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
And if you look at todays, not the sixtys, sports cars coming out of the US and Europe, they go fast beyond a straight line and can stop to. If you want proof of what america can do, look at the dodge SRT-10, a truck mind you that will eat most Japanese cars alive running 0-60 in 5 a 1/4 in 12.89 I beleive it pulls .89g can do 59mph through the slalom and can still do 0-100-0 in 18.1 and this is a full size truck not some little sports car.

America may have used to been behind the times, but it doesnt take them long to catch up.

#88620 - 18/04/2002 12:51 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bodybag
addict

I was using "Hot Rod" as a generic term for a performance car. A performance car to me, does it "ALL". However, many of the followers of the Japanese "performance" cars treat them much like the "hot rods" of the '50's, '60's and '70's by running them in a straight line.

#88621 - 18/04/2002 13:10 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: dodgecowboy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I'm not talking about Honda Civics with 6" exhaust tips here. Now before we get too far, besides the exotics, please explain what you mean by European sports car - just so I know we are talking about the same thing. Because I can't find an example of any American sports car that is similar to a European sports car. The Asian cars are far more similar in their approach to cars than US automakers. To me, that sounds more like a bias based on geographic data more than anything else.

Why don't any US automakers make any AWD cars? Explain to my why a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX with $500 spent on it can blowaway a Viper at the strip?

The new Vette and the Viper are the only nice "big block" US cars out there, but comparing them to cars that cost 1/4 of the price is silly. But what is funnier are the Mustangs (riding on a chasis from 1979 or earlier if you count the Fairmont) and F-Body's. But I don't even knock those cars. They are just a differant approach to performance (an antiquated one at that). But for anyone to say that there are no Japanese sports cars is misinformed at best.

Look up spec's on the Subaru WRX STi or the Mitusbishi Lancer EVO-VII.

This is all coming from a person who works for GM and grew up in the birthplace of Ford (and worked there for 3 years.)

#88622 - 18/04/2002 13:12 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: bodybag]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

The only reason they do that is because imports are what the muscle cars used to be. Meaning they are family type cars with nice engines plopped in that you can buy cheap and modify. The only place you can race it legally and cheaply in most areas is at the strip.

#88623 - 18/04/2002 13:25 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bodybag
addict

"imports are what the muscle cars used to be. Meaning they are family type cars with nice engines plopped in that you can buy cheap and modify."

Ok, but there are still plenty of late '60's and early '70's muscle cars around that you can buy cheap and modify. For the most part, ending up with something that would eat up most imports with the same $$$ invested. Besides, The current Mustang and Camaro are still viable "hot rods" that are affordable for the same people who can afford an Integra. IMO, the kids who are driving imports and think they are fast (straight line) are kidding themselves.

#88624 - 18/04/2002 13:36 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: bodybag]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

OK, I don't mean to toot my own horn (or my car's rather! ), but I know more specs about my car than other imports. I am very much a "Ford" guy but didn't use my discount (or my GM discount) to buy a car because there was simply nothing offered by a US maker. BUT, how can my WRX which can get a 5.6 second 0-60 STOCK (albiet with some abuse to the clutch) be considered not fast? And I have AWD so I can have fun in the rain and snow? Why are Brit's illegally importing Japanese spec versions of this car?

We are not comparing 60's and 70's technology to new cars. Those cars STILL can't do much besides go in a straight line. No matter how much I love a Mustang GT350, it will slide off the road while I stick (even in the rain) while getting 30mpg, with adjustable seats, AC, power everything and a full warranty (for under $25K). I can take my car to work everyday (compared to my co-worker who owns a beautiful 71 Camaro but needs to get a ride to work most of the time because it wont start).

But again, I am not knocking "hot rods". I think they are a classic approach to performance. They have their place (nothing can do the same to me as the roar of a good V8). But really, the Japanese cars are more potent that you think. They are JUST starting to trickle into the US (the EVO7 is coming soon and the Holden is coming soon too - as a Pontaic GTO!).

#88625 - 18/04/2002 13:36 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

I want to know where you saw an eclipse with 500 dollars spent on it blow away a viper? and who was driving this viper an ape? Unless they put a triple shot of nitrous on that eclipse I beleive there is something wrong with this picture.

Basically by saying American and European, Im just stating the origins of were many performance cars are built. until recently all asian cars were never meant for any type of performance, just economy. Yes there are starting to build them. But calling anything with only 200 horsepower a true sports car is just funny to me.

Check your records because anything asian that has anything performance about it does not cost 1/4 of what a corvette costs.I have never seen a Subaru WRX STi or a Mitusbishi Lancer EVO-VII for 10 grand, or I think if they were that good for that price, the streets would be flooded with them. Sure you can get on older civic or camry maybe for that, and then you can be pulling 15s in the quarter with a few mods .

Im not really saying American cars are better than japanese. All Im saying is that there is a lot BS saying what can beat what on the streets, look at facts. sure you can buy a japanese car cheaper and make it a quick little car,. But you can do the same thing to a mustang (yes I know they suck when there stock) and make it a quick little car that can handle like hell with the right tires and suspension. and personally I like the sound of a V8 over a screaming weed eater any day of the week.

#88626 - 18/04/2002 13:41 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

5.6 is respectable, and quick, but not fast, a mustang or a camaro can do 5.2 bone stock. and I dont really consider them fast, my transam I used to own would do it in 4.6 and I know a few times I got out raced, but it was never by an import.

#88627 - 18/04/2002 13:53 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, show me an eciplse that can keep up with a viper. Sure if you put nitro and a turbo (which costs a lot more than $500) on it, it might keep up, but you could just as easily put the nitro and turbo on the viper. What do eclipses run the 1/4 mile stock? Maybe a 16? All these import hot rods I see driving around town are not fast. I race one every chance I get and have never lost in my v6 Maxima. Then I get out of my Maxima and drive my friend's '71 Ford Torino with a 302 and I see how painfully slow my maxima is.

[EDIT: I have another friend with a stick shift Civic SI with a vtec, and it's no match for the Torino.]

Edited by Yz33d (18/04/2002 13:55)

#88628 - 18/04/2002 13:58 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brad, go to a dealership and test drive a Corvette, or at least a Mustang GT or a Camaro. And then see if you feel the same way.

#88629 - 18/04/2002 13:59 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: ]
bodybag
addict

Yeah, my slowest vehicle is a '01 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 with the Duramax. It's tweaked a bit and now runs in the high 14's, and I'll lay the spank down on any import I get the chance to.

#88630 - 18/04/2002 14:01 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: ]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

you put enough nitrous into anything, and it will run, but probably only once. I remember an article about a few guys from Auburn pumping 150 hp shot of nitrous into a rental neon and getting it to run like a 12.5 in the quarter, but the blew just about every seal on the engine, not to mention probably warping the heads and bending the rods.

If you are interested in what a turbo charged viper can do, go to
http://www.motortrend.com/june01/ttviper/ttviper_f.html
try 0-60, 2.4

#88631 - 18/04/2002 14:03 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: ]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Corvettes are wonderful, but over $50,000 and I've driven an Eaton Supercharged Mustang Cobra. The thing was balls fast and made my teeth shake but was all over the f'ing road. Even with the owner back in the driver seat, it wasn't much better. Also, there is no way I can justify spending that much money on a sub-average built car with 80's interior styleing to it. I drove a Camaro 2 weeks ago, it was only a V6, so I didn't judge it's speed, but I could see about 15 degree up and down and barely more side to side. That is why GM is getting rid of these things and Ford is finally re-doing the Mustang (2004).

#88632 - 18/04/2002 14:06 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: dodgecowboy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I agree on the Nitrus thing - I don't think it is a good approach to working on cars (any cars).

Why are US companies just NOW getting into forced induction? Ford is finally coming out with the Terminator or whatever it is called that has the Lightning's supercharged engine in it.

#88633 - 18/04/2002 14:10 Re: The perfect empeg mounting unit :) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bodybag
addict

Unitil now, the US already had an advantage in # of cylinders, why would they need forced induction? They are only now starting to do it to get their "edge" back.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >