Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#92736 - 09/05/2002 06:52 They got me (Apple)
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Apple comes out with the Ipod. Nothing can touch it in terms of greatness (for a handheld). I buy one and use EphPod for Windows to sync it. It is great. But, everytime if screws up the filesystem (usually when I forget to unmount the Ipod before unpluging it) I have to bring it to the mall to get it restored. Very frustrating.

So, they got me. By not offereing official Windows software/drivers Apple has caused me to buy a Mac. Never, ever would I have considered buying a Mac prior to the Ipod. Granted, I bought the slowest Mac possible that can still use the Ipod but I have to say it's pretty good. I'm even considering buying a new Mac.

The one I have is a Beige Powermac G3 (300MHz) with 128MB of ram. I will probably upgrade this thing. I think I can take it all the way to the latest G4 processors.

I bought the Mac on eBay and it came with Mac OS 9.0.4 but no CD (legal?). I patched it last night up to 9.2.2 but am worried if I screw this thing up. If anyone on this board has a Mac OS 9 CD they would like to sell, let me know.

Whomever at Apple that decided to not support Windows with the Ipod should get a promotion. They roped me in.

#92737 - 09/05/2002 08:01 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: robricc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

One suggestion I keep hearing is to back away fron OS 9.2 unless you are using it under OS X. 9.1 has been better as far as stability on it's own aparently.

If it didn't come with the origional CDs, they will probably be hard to find now. Apple machines include machine specific CDs that do two things, either do a full reload like restore discs, or act as normal install discs and allow you full control. Check the fourms at macnn.com, otherwise, every copy of OS X comes with OS 9.2.

Sonnet, XLR8, and a few other companies do offer upgrades on processors.

#92738 - 09/05/2002 08:05 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: robricc]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Yeah, I was this close to buying a Power Mac G4. Fortunately, we've got one of the new iMacs in the office now, which I had to use the last time I needed to resurrect my iPod.

#92739 - 09/05/2002 08:17 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: drakino]
robricc
carpal tunnel

The Ipod box says it requires OS 9.2 so that's why I patched up to it. If this Mac gets hosed, I presume I could go out and get OS X and load either OS 9.2 or OS X from scratch. Is this right?

I ordered the Firewire/USB combo card from Sonnet and it should be here today.

#92740 - 09/05/2002 08:25 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: robricc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

If this Mac gets hosed, I presume I could go out and get OS X and load either OS 9.2 or OS X from scratch. Is this right?

Thats right. They are both bootable discs, and install is easy. Install OS 9 first if you want classic support in OS X. Wasn't aware the iPod needed 9.2, then again I don't own one (yet), and havn't spent more then 30 mins in OS 9. The instability was just thrid hand info from people who probably stress the OS more then you will.

And I suppose I might as well advertise that I have a mac for sale. I;m still waiting on it to ship back from a friend who borrowed it, but he can directly ship it wherever in the US. It's a iMac DV SE, 500mhz G3, 30gb drive, DVD drive, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, and all the origional software disks for OS 9. It has 2 firewire and 2 USB ports, as well as ethernet, modem, and VGA out. OS X runs decently on it, though a licensed copy will not accompany it, I need that for my G4 Cube that replaced the iMac. I'm looking for around $600-$700 for it, case and system is in perfect condition. I'll check the memory amount, can't remember how much I sent it with.

#92741 - 09/05/2002 12:53 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: drakino]
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
Look, it's turning into the sell-your-old-Mac thread.

I have a G4/450 tower just sitting in its box. 768M or 1.25G, depending on what you give me, stock 20gig hard drive, I'm sure I can dig up an OS X CD. If you're in the Bay Area and want it, drop me a line. I don't really want to deal with the hassle of eBay. You can have a brand new Pro mouse with it, but I'm using the keyboard. Any USB will do, or I'll trade you the original keyboard for a wireless PC keyboard. Has DVD-RAM (doesn't write DVD-Rs, but it can write DVD-RAMs, which can be read in most DVD-ROM drives), Zip. Stealth Serial port. Rage 128 Pro with DVI and VGA. Ummm...I think that's it. Oh, wait, no, Linuxgruven sticker on the top. I was thinking maybe $900-$1000? Or maybe a big Empeg full of Prodigy (or pretty much anything relatively hip and non-rap) and a tuner module?

Alex

P.S.: If you have a PS2 and haven't played Frequency, go do that instead. It rocks.

#92742 - 09/05/2002 12:54 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: robricc]
holio
stranger

there is software that allows you to connect to your ipod using a Windows machine. though it's still in beta, it apparently works. check out XPlay from http://www.mediafour.com

#92743 - 09/05/2002 12:54 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: robricc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Well really you gotta thank Bill Gates, who invented the idea of locking you into a platform by providing shoddy or nonexistent support on competitive platforms... Praise be to Apple, however, for realizing the potential of the iPod, banking a lot of their resources on it, and boldly saying "damn the Mac's market share, people will buy these things!" They really did.

#92744 - 09/05/2002 17:15 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: robricc]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
You say this like it's a bad thing.

#92745 - 09/05/2002 17:45 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: holio]
robricc
carpal tunnel

there is software that allows you to connect to your ipod using a Windows machine

As stated in the first post of this thread, I am using EphPod to sync in Windows. IMO it is way better than XPlay.

I only acquired the Mac to restore the Ipod if it gets corrupted.

#92746 - 09/05/2002 18:01 Re: They got me (Apple) [Re: robricc]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
well I didn't but one because of lack of windows support and the retard at the apple store not being able to answer simple questions.

Matt