Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#110897 - 14/08/2002 07:37 Tuner!?
Phireman19

Hey, I'm still new to the Empeg world, but I have been reading on here that someone will have tuners for the Empeg's for alot cheaper than the actual ones. Is this true? and if so, when will they be available??
Thanks for the help!

#110898 - 14/08/2002 08:38 Re: Tuner!? [Re: Phireman19]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Read the ``tuners, empeg, for the use of'' thread. You can probably get all the information you need by just reading the posts there by pca.

#110899 - 14/08/2002 09:42 Re: Tuner!? [Re: Phireman19]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
someone will have tuners for the Empeg's

True. Patrick (who goes by PCA on this BBS), who designs PCBs for the empeg guys, is making kits. These kits will be the printed circuit board, all parts and chips, and the casing. They will require you to solder them together and assemble them.

for alot cheaper than the actual ones

That's a relative concept. The original "actual" tuners were only $99.00, and Patrick's kits will be somewhat more expensive than that, even before initial assembly.

They will probably be cheaper than the current going rate for tuners on ebay, though.

when will they be available??

Soon. Perhaps within a couple months.

#110900 - 14/08/2002 11:24 Re: Tuner!? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I haven't been able to follow Patrick's thread, so I have to ask as well:

Who will be willing to put the board together for a price. I can tell you right now that I have not the skills needed to do this.Will Patrick be willing to do this?

Also, will the new tuners be able to fit through the hole in the back of the sled? I heard the old ones could, but can the new ones?

I thought I said this at one time, but I'll say it again in case. I think it would be a great idea if there were a Riocar.org section about the new tuner process. Just a page with an update of where we are, and some FAQs like the ones here. Just a thought

#110901 - 14/08/2002 11:32 Re: Tuner!? [Re: Dignan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
To quote pca:

"Very, very close. The original is 82mm x 82mm x 35mm, and my one is 82mm x 80mm x 55mm. "

Don't think you'll be able to fit it into the sled in the first place due to the height.
But IIRC there's nothing that stops you from fitting it into another box, as you could hook the cards together with wires instead. You might be able to fit a slimmer but longer box through the hole.

/Michael

Edited by mtempsch (14/08/2002 11:36)

#110902 - 15/08/2002 13:25 Re: Tuner!? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Also, will the new tuners be able to fit through the hole in the back of the sled? I heard the old ones could, but can the new ones?

The old ones could not fit through the hole in the back of the sled, either.

They might (depending on whether you've got a massive cavern inside your dash or not) have been able to go through the hole in the bottom or top of the sled. But not the back.

But I would not recommend trying to design an installation around being able to do this. Proper installation of the tuner module requires removal of the sled. In many car installations, this would involve properly unscrewing the console section or the dash section, perhaps even leaving the sled attached to it. Or maybe you've used an installation kit which allows the sled to attach to the kit and the kit itself can be unscrewed. De-installing the sled should not be a major issue for proper installation work.