Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#230933 - 17/08/2004 02:37 A few questions about the tuner.
JrFaust

Loc: New Richmond, WI
I got my tuner, built it, and fixed my errors.
Now I get good signals but I'd like to get better with out buying an FM booster. Does the length on the antenna cable in the car make a difference?
Is it just the nature of the digital beast that I go from what I'll call a HIFI sound to mono sound when the signal is starting to cut out? Is that happening like the TV's that go blue instead of a snow channel instead of hearing/seeing static?
Will a better FM signal mean steady RDS flow or is that a different signal? Can RDS be turned off?
Lastly I noticed that the tuner always defaults to a screen that says no “AF information” if I was using a visual, any way to fix that?

Thanks
Rob

#230934 - 17/08/2004 03:08 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: JrFaust]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
What kind of car did you install it in ?

My VW had somekind of amplified antenna the plug on the antenna wire was normal but it required an adaptor to turn on the amplifier or the reception was crap.

Matt

#230935 - 17/08/2004 15:07 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: msaeger]
JrFaust

It's installed in a 1995 Bonneville SE. The antenna is powered but not amplified, or at least as far as I've been told.

#230936 - 17/08/2004 15:54 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: JrFaust]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Does the length on the antenna cable in the car make a difference?

Yes. And the type of cable, and the quality of cable, and the type/quality of antenna, and how well the connector plugs are made and connected.

Quote:
Is it just the nature of the digital beast that I go from what I'll call a HIFI sound to mono sound when the signal is starting to cut out?

No, it's the nature of the analog FM stereo beast.

Quote:
Will a better FM signal mean steady RDS flow or is that a different signal?

It is the same signal, but it won't guarantee a steady RDS flow. There is only one RDS station I know of in my local area, and even when I'm getting a fine signal from it, the RDS data is corrupted.

Quote:
Can RDS be turned off?

Yes. Switch to one of the info modes that doesn't show the RDS data characters. Also make sure that TA and AF are turned off, as those only work in the UK and I think in Europe.

Quote:
Lastly I noticed that the tuner always defaults to a screen that says no “AF information” if I was using a visual, any way to fix that?

I've heard of others getting that screen, it has never happened to me. Try setting to Info: Radio followed by Info:Transient followed by Visual: Your desired visual USING THE PLAYER'S MAIN MENU and then activate the Hijack "Restore DC/Car Visuals" feature. Do not press the Info button on the remote or use the knob press to cycle through info modes. See if the problem then goes away.

#230937 - 17/08/2004 17:47 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: JrFaust]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
If the antenna is shorter than about 30 cm, and appears to have a wire wrapped spirally around the outside down it's length, it's likely to be a powered antenna.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#230938 - 17/08/2004 21:38 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: tfabris]
JrFaust

>>>tfabris
Quote:
Yes. And the type of cable, and the quality of cable, and the type/quality of antenna, and how well the connector plugs are made and connected.

My tuner is a PCats tuner and I received the version with the extension cable that you cut off one end and the other is a molded connector (hopefully no problems with that). Then I have to use a 6 inch converter cable because GM likes their mini jack for the antenna connection.

Quote:
No, it's the nature of the analog FM stereo beast.

Things that make you go hummmmm.

Quote:
There is only one RDS station I know of in my local area, and even when I'm getting a fine signal from it, the RDS data is corrupted.

Wow it looks like all but one station in the area transmits RDS. and it looks like they have the same porblem.

Quote:
Also make sure that TA and AF are turned off, as those only work in the UK and I think in Europe.

If the TA and AF are showing that means they’re on or off?

Quote:
Try setting to Info: Radio followed by Info:Transient followed by Visual: Your desired visual USING THE PLAYER'S MAIN MENU and then activate the Hijack "Restore DC/Car Visuals" feature. Do not press the Info button on the remote or use the knob press to cycle through info modes. See if the problem then goes away.

Ummm wow I couldn’t figure that one out. Man I feel like a noob. Is that covered anywhere like in the FAQ?

>>>schofiel
Quote:
If the antenna is shorter than about 30 cm, and appears to have a wire wrapped spirally around the outside down it's length, it's likely to be a powered antenna.

No, looks like the cable runs the length of my car (about 9 feet or 3 meters) back to the antenna assembly and no other cable wrapped around it. Power wires follow it but they go to the motor to raise and lower the antenna.

#230939 - 17/08/2004 23:34 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: tfabris]
JrFaust

Duh I found it need to learn me some better search skillz.
FAQ

#230940 - 18/08/2004 00:02 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: JrFaust]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
He meant the actual antenna outside your car. If it's going up and down, then it's most likely just a plain-old antenna. Just make sure it's going up when you turn the radio on. You might also want to make sure it's going down when you turn back to mp3 mode.

#230941 - 18/08/2004 14:10 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: wfaulk]
JrFaust

Yeah it goes up but only goes down if the empeg is off, it's linked to the remote on of my amp.

#230942 - 18/08/2004 14:20 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: JrFaust]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There's a lead on the tuner that's intended to control the antenna. It should go up and down with the activation of the tuner. I think that this is very neat, but it sounds like it's not how you have it hooked up. I'd change it if I were you. I hated to have my antenna up for no reason when I was playing mp3s. Also there's a slight bug in some of the antenna controlling hardware out there. You could fix it if you have the problem.

#230943 - 18/08/2004 14:35 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: wfaulk]
JrFaust

Yeah I should switch it to the tuner now that it's there. I don't know why I hooked up the antenna in the first place. I guess cause it was there and I could. I'd be nice to be able to listen to music while in situations that I wouldn't want my antenna up.

#230944 - 18/08/2004 18:21 Re: A few questions about the tuner. [Re: JrFaust]
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
My original car stereo had a better reception than the pca tuner. I used an antenna booster for getting good RDS signals. I've learned to live with it. Now my Empeg is at home...

Rolf