Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#267656 - 20/10/2005 20:57 Death to the biege thing
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
okay my PC has been read its last rights due to having all the reliability of british rail time table.

Its replacement is a G5 power mac 2.3Ghz dual core with 2x20" displays

Now this presents one or two problems

The first problem is disposal of the old machine i am going to give it to some one i don't like

Another problem has been asked down stairs

Now the empeg related problem relates to upgrading the software via serial. Now i have a USB to serial cable that works fine with a mac. Now what i need is a none technical solution for me not being the most techy around here. I won't use it very often as upgrades only happen when i am on a ship (thanks Rob). Now i could get virtual PC but i don't know how good a solution this is. Or i could get an old PC laptop that has a serial port.

Now if virtual PC is not good then i will buy an old laptop as i need one for the caterham soon as i am getting a http://www.emeraldm3d.com/em_m3dk.html which needs a serial cable.

Paul

#267657 - 20/10/2005 21:20 Re: Death to the biege thing [Re: thinfourth2]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, assuming you can get (or have got) Hijack on there, Mark's made a Unix-y tool to do upgrades without needing a serial cable, and since MacOSX is awfully Unix-y, it ought to work. This is good since it seems finding a usable USB serial cable for Mac-to-empeg connection is kinda difficult.

I'll let someone else fill in the details, but I think that this is the way to go.

#267658 - 20/10/2005 21:37 Re: Death to the biege thing [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Bitt's referring to upgrader which works over ethernet. I've only configured it to work on a PC through cygwin, so I'll leave the OS X configuration explanation to someone who knows better.

The only other possibility that I can think of is Virtual PC.

#267659 - 20/10/2005 22:10 Re: Death to the biege thing [Re: thinfourth2]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I did want to confirm that using Virtual PC with a supported USB to Serial adapter will work. It's definitly an expensive solution though, unless you have other uses for Virtual PC as well.

Make sure the USB to Serial adapter you select is supported under Windows. The way Vurtial PC works with USB is that it passes full control over, so you can actually plug in USB things that don't work in OS X, and have them work inside the virtual Windows.