Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14565 - 18/08/2000 14:46 Aux inputs
ctadlock
stranger

The Aux inputs for the empeg are 1V line level stereo RCA line jacks. Is one volt common for decks to output to amps. Do you have to worry about anything else besides voltage (impedience)? Would I be able to measure the output of my current deck with a voltameter to make sure it's 1V?

PS: Just got my empeg, it's pretty coo.

Thanks
CT

#14566 - 18/08/2000 14:50 Re: Aux inputs [Re: ctadlock]
Kureg

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was fairly certain the line inputs on the SLED into the empeg are the 4 volt ones for hooking up other ICE. The RCA jacks on the empeg itself are the 1 volt ones.

(I might have that backwards, but I think it's right)

Kureg

#14567 - 18/08/2000 14:52 Re: Aux inputs [Re: Kureg]
ctadlock
stranger

From the tech description:

Audio inputs
1V line level stereo RCA line jacks

The ones on the back of the empeg are outputs.

Thanks
CT

#14568 - 18/08/2000 14:54 Re: Aux inputs [Re: ctadlock]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You don't need to measure any voltages. Everything is line level and it's standardized. For the in-home connectors, it's the right level for in-home audio gear. For the car connectors, it's the right level for in-car gear. It'll work great. Plug it in and go for it.

#14569 - 18/08/2000 14:56 Re: Aux inputs [Re: tfabris]
ctadlock
stranger

The problem is that I'm trying to hook my empeg up to my stock VW stero, which is all proprietary. There isn't any documentation that I can find on how the stock deck talks to the amp, so I wanted to test it to make sure I didn't wreck anything.

Thanks
CT

#14570 - 18/08/2000 15:06 Re: Aux inputs [Re: ctadlock]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The problem is that I'm trying to hook my empeg up to my stock VW stero, which is all proprietary.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the stock deck? If not, get a converter plug and a master sheet from Crutchfield. Don't randomly plug in wires without knowing what they're doing.

Does the stock deck have an AUX input or a CD changer input? If the former, you're all set. If the latter, you might need a special plug and a circuit to trick the stock head into thinking the Empeg is a CD changer. (Otherwise, the head unit might refuse to switch to the CD changer input if it thinks there isn't one connected.) Be careful. If in doubt, take it to a professional who'll have the right dox and parts.

#14571 - 18/08/2000 15:19 Re: Aux inputs [Re: ctadlock]
Kureg

Doh... someone.... anyone.... dope slap me :)

Kureg

#14572 - 18/08/2000 15:21 Re: Aux inputs [Re: tfabris]
ctadlock
stranger

Here's the whole deal:

Stock System:
VW deck:
Audio outs to external amp (via. VW connector)
VW plug for control (power, dimmer...)
VW plug for external VW CD changer

Goal:
I want to have my stock deck (with CD changer) hooked up with my empeg.

Plan:
Control/Power:
Splice the cables that run to the stock deck, so that they run to both the stock deck and the empeg. This won't be to hard, except that I need a male ISO connector to connect the cables to (so that I don't have to cut the wires on the empeg).
Sound:
Cut the wires that connect the amp and the current deck. Connect the audio wires that run from the stock deck to the AUX in on the empeg. Connect the audio out from the empeg to the cut wires running to the amp.

I think this will work. I took the empeg to a local car stereo shop (in Seattle) this morning; they didn't know much. Anyone see any problems with this?

Thanks
CT

#14573 - 18/08/2000 15:31 Re: Aux inputs [Re: ctadlock]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The only problem would be if there wasn't really an amp, and the stuff coming out of the stock deck was speaker-level straight to the speakers. How sure are you that this VW has a separate amplifier with line-level inputs? Have you actually seen this object?

#14574 - 18/08/2000 15:48 Re: Aux inputs [Re: tfabris]
ctadlock
stranger

Yup, I've touched it.

Thanks
CT

#14575 - 18/08/2000 16:03 Re: Aux inputs [Re: ctadlock]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yup, I've touched it.

What I'd do, assuming you know which wires are which, is to try connecting the empeg's line out directly to this amp's line in at the input pins without wire cutting and test it that way first. If you can't unplug the connector to do this, then jerry-rig something as a temporary test.

Also, There's the amp remote wire issue: I don't think you're going to be able to get away with having the amp remote wire from both decks connected. You'll have to choose one or the other and go with that.

Are you sure that you have to cut into the wires? There's gotta be someone who makes an aftermarket adapter that lets you plug into this system without that level of hassle.

#14576 - 18/08/2000 16:46 Re: Aux inputs [Re: ctadlock]
ctadlock
stranger

What is the amp remote for?

Thanks
CT

#14577 - 18/08/2000 16:58 Re: Aux inputs [Re: ctadlock]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What is the amp remote for?

Um... sorry if this sounds patronizing... Have you ever done a stereo installation yourself? You might want to consider hiring a professional to do this job. The reason I say this is because that question is so basic, it indicates you might be biting off more than you can chew. If you're looking at cutting into the factory wiring harnesses, but you don't know what the amp remote does, you could be putting your stereo system at risk.

I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you, I'm just trying to make sure you're not getting in over your head.

With that out of the way...

The amp remote is the signal line which the head unit uses to tell the rempte amplifier when it's time to turn on and off.

#14578 - 18/08/2000 17:12 Re: Aux inputs [Re: tfabris]
ctadlock
stranger

Which deck would you recomend using the amp remote on? No offense taken. I've installed a couple stereos before.

Thanks
CT