Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33762 - 02/07/2001 07:24 Hard drive sounding like a blender.
greggerm
journeyman

Loc: Rhode Island
Already been in touch with Empeg support on this one, but I wanted to share my pain...

I took a road trip up to Vermont from RI this weekend, about a 5.5 hour trip. The ride up was great... music all the way. On my return, I had some empeg issues.

Sllid the player in, it started the bootup. The reassuring Empeg logo popped up, then my custom logo. Then, all hell broke loose.

The hard drive sounded like a gravel mixer, chunking and grinding like there was no tomorrow. Panicked, I pulled the player out in disbelief. Slid it back in, same thing. AcK!

My girlfriend places her hand on mine, knowing that I am practically in mourning.

It was a quiet ride home yesterday, with the exception of the crazy thunderstorms I had to get through near Boston. When I arrived home, I tried it with the AC adaptor. Same results.

I plugged in the serial line and fired up my term software, and took note of the dump. (I'm at work, and don't have it with me)

The noise started after the drive was detected and it started its "Partition Check". After a brief delay (and noise!) the check reported that IRQ 6 was busy and it was trying again.

The grinding only stopped once the power was removed. The player never booted past the logo screens. I fear my hard drive has gone to hard drive heaven.

The Empeg/Rio guys have been speedy in their acknolwedgement of the problem, and I am just waiting for the word on what to do.

>sigh<... It was sad to hear that noise. But for once I wasn't throwing fists around because from everything that I've heard out here, I am about to get some stellar service for my disabled player.

Enjoy your 4th of July week, Americans! And to everyone else, have a happy monday.

-Germ
12GB Green (On the disabled list)

---- - --- - --- - -- -- - - - - - -
greggerm 09000991

#33763 - 02/07/2001 07:45 Re: Hard drive sounding like a blender. [Re: greggerm]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm, was there any shock to your Empeg during the drive or while it was out of the car? Losing my Empeg hard drives is something I regularly have nightmares about. I'm hoping this didn't happen during "normal use," if it did, I think I'm going to look into some anti-gravity tires or something...

-Tony
MkII #554

#33764 - 02/07/2001 08:55 Re: Hard drive sounding like a blender. [Re: tonyc]
greggerm
journeyman

To my knowledge, no....

The device was resting comfortably (in its bag) on the kitchen counter. No shocks, no spills - I was actually more careful with it because I am not used to having it with me when I am in Vermont.

It was used throughout the long 5 hour drive up to VT, and then again on a short 1/2 hour drive while up there. Then "out of thin air" I slid it in on the ride home and >grindgroanclickclickgrind<.

It just goes to show that things do fail!

greggerm 09000991

#33765 - 02/07/2001 11:05 Re: Hard drive sounding like a blender. [Re: greggerm]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sorry to hear about the drive trouble. I've had one go bad, too.

The Empeg guys will fix you up. Just don't expect them to rescue the music for you-- it's gone, kiss it goodbye. I hope you had it backed up on your PC.

Also note that you've lost all of your equalizer and sound presets, and you'll need to re-enter your personal data, too. Since I had this happen to me, I've taken to writing down my EQ presets every time I change them.

#33766 - 02/07/2001 11:27 Re: Hard drive sounding like a blender. [Re: tfabris]
greggerm
journeyman

Thankfully, all my music is backed up. >phwew<.

Its never a *bad* thing to start from scratch every now and again, either. I guess I am a product of the reformat/reinstall Windows generation. :)

Working with Empeg support now.
Have great days!
-Greg

greggerm 09000991

#33767 - 02/07/2001 12:20 Re: Hard drive sounding like a blender. [Re: greggerm]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Don't you just love his photo/icon ?

Just had to say that.

cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431

#33768 - 03/07/2001 01:55 Re: Hard drive sounding like a blender. [Re: greggerm]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I guess I am a product of the reformat/reinstall Windows generation.

Take off and nuke the site from orbit -- it's the only way to be sure.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#33769 - 11/07/2001 10:00 Re: Hard drive sounding like a blender. [Re: Roger]
greggerm
journeyman

Just wanted to relay my incredible satisfaction with Empeg/Rio...

After 6 days out of my hands (and 2 of them were spent in a FedEx warehouse in England for the weekend) I have my fixed player in hand.

Thanks to the excellent crew at Empeg for such a great turn-around time.

Sadly, they didn't decide to include a tuner module in the box for all my troubles. I guess next time.

;-)

Have a good one!

greggerm 09000991