Well I did it. I just upgraded my MKII with 30 more gigs.

I purchased my MKII a few years ago with 12 gigs of hard drive space. I let my hair down and sprung for the additional 6 gigs since the bottom of the line system offered only 6 gigs at the time. After a couple of years its just about full.

So I shopped around and picked out a Toshiba 30 gig drive. I read the FAQs over and over.. and when I felt comfortable enough I dove in. Let me preface by saying that I was already familiar with desktop IDE drives, with master and slaves, and all that so that helped me out a lot.

Once I removed the cover (mine seemed stubborn but it came off) I was surprised to see only 1 drive. I figured I would have two 6 gig drives because of the configurations offered at the time. This meant a couple of things.. mainly a lot LESS drive swapping to install. All I needed to do was install the 30 gig drive as a slave, in addition to my one 12 gig master drive. What a relief!

I did have a little trouble with the shock mounts and the drive bay, I really recommend the right size screw driver here. I tried to use a phillips head from a jewelers screwdriver set I have but believe it or not, it really was too small. I ended up using a standard size one just fine.

The drive formatted fine, and the software recognizes the extra space. My only concern is that the new drive seems to keep spinning.. or at least I think it is. I can hear something spinning even as I type. Is not the drive supposed to spin down when not being accessed?

Other than that, I had no problems. I was just a little nervous.