Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#255467 - 04/05/2005 15:25 Ohhh....Bluetooth
topperge
new poster

Loc: Michigan, USA
I don't know if you guys have seen it yet, however, there is a new serial based bluetooth module available at:
http://redferret.net/?p=5131
On the same day another company released a bluetooth OBD Transmitter:
http://www.vitalengineering.co.uk/
and we all have bluetooth phones by now right??

My empeg is long gone (I'm kicking myself now because I have a lot of bluetooth background) but it looks like you guys could have one hell of a project on your hands. Good luck if anyone wants to pick it up.

Matt

#255468 - 04/05/2005 15:50 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: topperge]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Well, is that device more than a serial bridge? I want to talk to my phone via bluetooth, namely, do dialup networking, but none of the serial modules claim to do it, maybe they can, but they don't say so and my willingness to randomly buy hardware and try is low right now.

#255469 - 04/05/2005 16:07 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: Daria]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Why can you now not talk to your phone via Bluetooth? If there's no builtin Bluetooth, then the usual course of action is a USB dongle. No USB?

I seriously doubt that this product does anything but provide a Serial Bluetooth service. Your computer still won't think that it has a Bluetooth port. So unless the phone will connect to that service and you can then do PPP over it or something, I doubt this will do what you want. But, again, there's probably a better way. But, again again, you probably already know that and I don't know what the obstacle is.

#255470 - 04/05/2005 16:17 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: Daria]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
I ordered this device from AirCable (the female serial adapter) for $74 shipped with a power supply. I plan on writing code into Empire to listen to the serial port (where the BT adapter will be) and Palantir to send the playlist via serial-BT. After that, I'd like to write a remote display app for the Palm over BT as well as make it into a BT remote. Kendrick actually pointed me at this serial adapter in an earlier post about Palantir. I don't know a ton about BT yet, but from the specs it should be able to use the adapter as a bridge from the Empeg to your phone (Treo 650, right?).

BTW, this is why I wanted to be able to use the serial port and inject commands into /proc/empeg_notify - all in one app.

The mailman should be here with my little gift sometime this week.

#255471 - 04/05/2005 16:53 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Why can you now not talk to your phone via Bluetooth? If there's no builtin Bluetooth, then the usual course of action is a USB dongle. No USB?

No USB dongle on the empeg. My laptop has bluetooth, I care about talking to the phone from the empeg.

Quote:

I seriously doubt that this product does anything but provide a Serial Bluetooth service. Your computer still won't think that it has a Bluetooth port. So unless the phone will connect to that service and you can then do PPP over it or something, I doubt this will do what you want. But, again, there's probably a better way. But, again again, you probably already know that and I don't know what the obstacle is.

That's what I figured.

#255472 - 04/05/2005 16:54 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: cushman]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Yeah, Treo 650. I may find motivation to work on the /proc_empeg_notify stuff soon, I just need either of my current ongoing work projects to actually work out and finish, and both are closer than they were last week.

#255473 - 04/05/2005 17:25 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: Daria]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh, I see. Do you have another Bluetooth-enabled computer? You could use that to see if your phone provides a serial service. If so, this might work. I'd have more of an idea if the link to the device's manual wasn't broken.

#255474 - 04/05/2005 17:40 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: wfaulk]
cushman
veteran

All PalmOne devices (his Treo 650 included) with BT support Serial Port Profile - they can use it to Hotsync via BT. The adapter I linked to above was actually marketed to the Palm market directly although it it supports any BT 1.1 device.

#255475 - 04/05/2005 17:42 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Okay, I found a link to the manual that wasn't broken. It clearly states that "connections can be made with any other Bluetooth device supporting Bluetooth SPP (Serial Port Profile)." If you can verify that your phone is an SPP device, and if you essentially use it like a modem, then this should work with no problem, even acquiring power by pin 9, which I believe the empeg provides.

Even neater, it supports configuration via AT commands on the serial interface, even making the final connection via "ATD". That might mean you'd have to do AT commands within an AT-command setting, but that shouldn't be a big problem.

#255476 - 04/05/2005 17:45 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, but he might not be able to use that to get an Internet connection. I'm not familiar with how that works, and there may be a different BT profile for that -- IP Profile or Network Interface Profile or some such.

#255477 - 04/05/2005 17:56 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: wfaulk]
cushman
veteran

DUN Profile (Dial Up Networking) is traditionally what you would look for on a phone to use your phone as a modem via BT. I'm not 100% on how everything works either, I was just pointing out that the two BT serial devices both work the same way. The one I ordered is cheaper and the first one has greater range, but both can be configured using AT commands, both take power from pin 9, etc. I have a friend with a Treo 650, let me experiment a bit with the adapter I ordered when I get it and I can tell you if it would be possible.

#255478 - 04/05/2005 19:26 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: cushman]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
We eagerly await your results! I want one just to plug into my Empeg dock, doing away with the serial cable over to my (new) laptop.

Cheers

#255479 - 04/05/2005 20:12 Re: Ohhh....Bluetooth [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Yeah, but he might not be able to use that to get an Internet connection. I'm not familiar with how that works, and there may be a different BT profile for that -- IP Profile or Network Interface Profile or some such.

The phone supports, and I am using, DUN. Amusingly the Bluetooth device browser on the Mac doesn't list the set of profiles the phone supports (my GPS claims to have a "GPS Serial Port", for instance) but I know it has a serial port which can be used for hotsyncing, but not for anything else, at least out of the box.