Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#276220 - 19/02/2006 12:20 Speakers make a thump noise when putting in the empeg
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
When I slide my empeg into the cradle, the speakers make a thump noise (it has always done this since I had it installed, but this part of it seemed the least of my worries at the time.) What might be causing this?

#276221 - 19/02/2006 13:47 Re: Speakers make a thump noise when putting in the empeg [Re: burdell1]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
In order for this to happen, your amp must be turned on prior to you inserting the empeg. The amp should not turn on until AFTER the empeg is inserted. This is controlled by the blue remote wire from the empeg that goes back to the amp. It sounds like your remote wire is hooked up incorrectly and is probably hooked upto the accessory (or switched) power that turns on as you twist the ignition key. It is either that or your remote wire is connected to a constant power source, but that would drain your battery.

#276222 - 19/02/2006 15:22 Re: Speakers make a thump noise when putting in the empeg [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
In order for this to happen, your amp must be turned on prior to you inserting the empeg. The amp should not turn on until AFTER the empeg is inserted. This is controlled by the blue remote wire from the empeg that goes back to the amp.

That's all nice in theory, but not in practice. My home-office empeg uses the amp-remote wire to power on it's amp, and has always gotten the exact same thump. Maybe this wouldn't happen with a slower/faster (to power on) amp, or with an amp that incorporates it's own set of relays for this purpose.

Cheers

#276223 - 19/02/2006 16:25 Re: Speakers make a thump noise when putting in the empeg [Re: mlord]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Does it make a thump when you have the empeg turned off and on without unplugging it?

My empeg creates a thump when I start the enginge with it running. It's not the amp, it's the empeg. With the RCAs disconnected, restarting the car is a nice silent operation. With the RCAs connected, it's a painful way of conditioning me to turn the key backwards before turning it forwards.

If there's any sort of "capacitor network" to prevent the thump, I'll certainly try it out.

Matthew

#276224 - 19/02/2006 17:24 Re: Speakers make a thump noise when putting in the empeg [Re: matthew_k]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The one in my home office here thumps coming out of standby, if that's what you were asking.

Cheers

#276225 - 19/02/2006 17:33 Re: Speakers make a thump noise when putting in the empeg [Re: mlord]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Yup, wouldn't that mean the amp just thumps whenever it's turned on? There doesn't seem like there's anything you could do about that. If it only thumped when the empeg was plugged in, it probably means the amp is on all the time and amplifying the static on the RCAs.

Matthew

#276226 - 19/02/2006 18:42 Re: Speakers make a thump noise when putting in the empeg [Re: burdell1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Here's a question for you:

Does the thump happen the instant it snicks into the cradle, or does the thump happen as the player boots and comes out of standby?

If the former, then it's definitely a mis-wired installation where the remote amp wire isn't doing the job it's supposed to do. If the latter, then it might be a faulty amplifier or something wrong wth the 'peg itself.