Already been in touch with Empeg support on this one, but I wanted to share my pain...

I took a road trip up to Vermont from RI this weekend, about a 5.5 hour trip. The ride up was great... music all the way. On my return, I had some empeg issues.

Sllid the player in, it started the bootup. The reassuring Empeg logo popped up, then my custom logo. Then, all hell broke loose.

The hard drive sounded like a gravel mixer, chunking and grinding like there was no tomorrow. Panicked, I pulled the player out in disbelief. Slid it back in, same thing. AcK!

My girlfriend places her hand on mine, knowing that I am practically in mourning.

It was a quiet ride home yesterday, with the exception of the crazy thunderstorms I had to get through near Boston. When I arrived home, I tried it with the AC adaptor. Same results.

I plugged in the serial line and fired up my term software, and took note of the dump. (I'm at work, and don't have it with me)

The noise started after the drive was detected and it started its "Partition Check". After a brief delay (and noise!) the check reported that IRQ 6 was busy and it was trying again.

The grinding only stopped once the power was removed. The player never booted past the logo screens. I fear my hard drive has gone to hard drive heaven.

The Empeg/Rio guys have been speedy in their acknolwedgement of the problem, and I am just waiting for the word on what to do.

>sigh<... It was sad to hear that noise. But for once I wasn't throwing fists around because from everything that I've heard out here, I am about to get some stellar service for my disabled player.

Enjoy your 4th of July week, Americans! And to everyone else, have a happy monday.

-Germ
12GB Green (On the disabled list)

---- - --- - --- - -- -- - - - - - -
greggerm 09000991