Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#107942 - 28/07/2002 18:19 Information on HMDs required
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

OK. Here's a question for you all, since there seems to be at least ONE person on this BBS who has knowledge of ANYTHING

Does anyone have any personal experience with either the Cy-visor or i-Glasses SVGA 3D head mounted display? I am playing around with a rather neat application of stereo VR-type thing, and have been looking for a low-cost(ish) high resolution 3D HMD of some sort. Much research has lead me to the conclusion that HMDs fall into one of three categories:

1) Crap, and expensive

2) Good, and Ouch!

3) Very good, and holy feck!! (I mean, $37500 described as 'modestly priced'?)

The Cy-visor and i-Glasses seem to be the best price/performance ratio of any I can find, and for what they are are pretty cheap. That said, $1400 is a little much to just throw away, even if I can persuade someone else to foot most of the bill I'd ideally like some info from someone who's actually used one of the things, to get an idea of whether they are actually worth the money.

So. Anyone? Anyone?

pca

#107943 - 28/07/2002 18:26 Re: Information on HMDs required [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Um, shouldn't you be like, um, building tuner modules or something?

#107944 - 28/07/2002 18:36 Re: Information on HMDs required [Re: tfabris]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hey, I multitask

Note, this isn't the windows definition of multitask, ie 'do as many things as slowly and badly as you can, then fall over for no adequately explored reason'.

Anyway, the bits haven't turned up yet. In the meantime, I'm designing the #$%^& for XXXXXXXXX, and the #$%$% for YYYYYY, and working on the ^^%^% in my copious spare time

I even took a picture of the moon, to fill in a few seconds that was boring!

Oh yeah, occasionally I sleep for a couple of hours.

pca

Attachments
106332-Dscf0028.jpg (55 downloads)

#107945 - 28/07/2002 19:01 Re: Information on HMDs required [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, I can't help you with your HMD project (wish I could, sounds like fun), but in the meantime, can you add another task to your queue and take look at my other thread right next to this one, the one about the time delayed relay? I'm having a spot of trouble.

#107946 - 28/07/2002 19:31 Re: Information on HMDs required [Re: pca]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

'do as many things as slowly and badly as you can, then fall over for no adequately explored reason'.

This only happens to me after copious amounts of Guinness

I wish I got to play around with stuff like that...Have you checked out http://wearables.blu.org/ ? There's a lot of links there, including the wearables mailling list archive.