Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#129691 - 08/12/2002 21:28 Asheron's Call 2
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Well, I've just lost most of a weekend playing this game. It's good if you like MMORPGs. I've just been hunting around with a bit of help from someone else on there, and It's so much easier if you have someone who can watch your back in a fight.

I'm playing on the Harvestgain server, with the name of Grimer if anyone wants to track me down to go looting dungeons.

I'm also working on becoming a weaponsmith, so if you want a good weapon, track me down also.

#129692 - 08/12/2002 21:59 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: BAKup]
drakino
carpal tunnel

So did they finally put a game inside all the pretty graphics I saw during beta? Last time I played it, it didn't approach the level of the first game as far as gameplay and fun.

Unfortunatly I've been busy lately to really invest any time into games. I'm slowly crawling through Metroid Prime right now, and will probably try to finish off StarFox next before looking at PC games again.

#129693 - 09/12/2002 00:13 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: drakino]
DeadFire
addict

I was afraid to mention Prime on here lest I get yelled at for actually owning a GameCube. But it is, in my opinion, an awesome game for a great system. I've had it for 3 days, and it just so happens I had nothing planned this weekend. In that time, I have invested 20 hours into it and I'm only, according to the main menu, 52% through the game.

Needless to say I'm very pelased with the Cube and especially with Metroid Prime. I have no idea which game I'll be looking at next; because I can't see past Samus Aran.

And BAKup, sorry for following a tanget instead of the thread's subject.

#129694 - 09/12/2002 00:14 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: drakino]
BAKup
addict

I've been having fun, I'm still working on my weaponsmith skills, and materal enhancement skills. It sucked away roughtly 10 hours straight today. And I'll be on tomorrow night as soon as I get home from work.

#129695 - 09/12/2002 00:17 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: DeadFire]
BAKup
addict

And BAKup, sorry for following a tanget instead of the thread's subject.

This is Off-Topic, right

Well, I own a GC myself, and have been having a blast with Super Monkeyball 2. I've got all the games open except for Soccer.

Now must get shee^H^H^Hleep.

#129696 - 09/12/2002 00:28 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Dude, you are not alone. I know of plenty of people on here who own and love their GC's. Tony could talk about the controller with you for an hour or two I think.

As someone who never played Resident Evil when it first came out, to see it for the first time on the GC is absolutely amazing. What a beautiful and horrifying game.

Did anyone else see the Zelda preview at Harry Potter? It was just as good as the movie Can't wait till that comes out...

ps-I'm also sorry about the tangent

#129697 - 09/12/2002 00:35 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: Dignan]
DeadFire
addict

Dude, you are not alone.

Thank you for the reassurance. It seems like everywhere I go I'm confronted with people who are die-hard XBOX or PS2 fans; and they have nothing good to say about the Cube.

Edit: I don't go around bashing either of those systems; they both have some great games. Although I am rather pissed that Microsoft bought Rare, presumably just to steal the Perfect Dark sequel away from the GameCube. Dark was my favorite game before Prime.

Edited by DeadFire (09/12/2002 00:38)

#129698 - 09/12/2002 10:26 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I find that too. And I've learned to get over the loss of a company to a system. I've been a Nintendo man since SNES, so losing Square sucked. But I'm not into the new FF games.

I think the only game I miss for GC is GTA3. That's the only thing that would make me buy a PS2. Other then that, there's a lot of cross-platform games.

Also, I've read a lot that's said that Microsoft and Sony aren't worried about creating icons for their systems. You can see them kind of trying with stuff like "Jak and Daxter" and "Blinx". Nothing can beat Mario. Nothing

#129699 - 09/12/2002 11:13 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: DeadFire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It seems like everywhere I go I'm confronted with people who are die-hard XBOX or PS2 fans; and they have nothing good to say about the Cube.

I don't see how anyone could say bad things about the Cube, it's such a great game system. It sure can pump the triangles, and I love some of the procedural-renderer tricks they're doing with its graphics engine. And, I dearly love the fact that there are more and more games with a 16:9 anamorphic widescreen mode available in the options. And of course, having the best joystick in the business helps.

You mentioned wondering what you'd get after Metroid Prime... We just picked up StarFox Adventures and have been playing through it. Great game in every way: Visually stunning, great music and sound production, fun to play (not too hard), riveting. It's kept me and my daughter entertained for weeks and we're almost finished with it. They're doing a rather cool procedural renderer trick to do Fox's fur, and it impresses me every time I see it, especially in the close-ups of Fox during the cinematics. Not quite up to the level of the every-hair-is-a-polygon detail of the fur in Monsters, Inc., but very convincing and impressive nonetheless. The game has a lot of detail to keep you interested, and is paced well so that there's always something new to do at exactly the right moment. I read that StarFox Adventures was originally going to be an N64 game called "Dinosaur Planet", and they reworked the unfinished content from that title to fit into StarFox Adventures. Even knowing this, it doesn't seem too shoehorned. Anyway, I can recommend this title wholeheartedly.

#129700 - 09/12/2002 17:17 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: tfabris]
DeadFire
addict

We just picked up StarFox Adventures and have been playing through it.

Thanks for the suggestion. To tell you the truth, I was kind of eyeballing it. But I'm really keeping my eye on the list of games still scheduled for future release; mainly sequels to N64 games that are great.

#129701 - 09/12/2002 19:33 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: DeadFire]
drakino
carpal tunnel

If you played either Zelda game on the N64, Starfox Adventures will feel very similar. I'm using it to tide me over until the Gamecube Zelda comes out.

#129702 - 09/12/2002 22:08 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

If you played either Zelda game on the N64, Starfox Adventures will feel very similar

Unfortunately, I just can't imagine it being as great as those games. The first one, for sure, was one of the best games of all time *duck*

Of course, I liked Link to the Past even better

#129703 - 10/12/2002 10:07 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: Dignan]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I'm revisiting Banjo & Kazooie with my 2 1/2 year old son. It's paced perfectly for him, except for the combination moves involving the trigger, but he's nearly there.

So Nintendo N64 for me all the way. I guess I'm tempted by the PS2 (due to the plethora of superb driving games) but none of the Xbox-only or GameCube-only games really attract me.

And I never got into Mario at all. I have tried all the Mario games (I think) and the only one I even vaguely rated was the karting one on the N64. They just annoy me too much.

But then again this is the viewpoint of a die-hard Galaxians, Gradius, R-Type and Defender fanatic. Hey-ho, I'm getting old
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#129704 - 10/12/2002 12:22 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: frog51]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

You know, I find this fascinating. Here we have two parents playing a lot of video games with their children. I think it's great, and I'm one of the people who really does think that it has helped with my own hand-eye coordination. I attribute my ability to pick up saxophone playing and driving so quickly to my video game playing, actually.

For you two I have a question. Do you think it's because you're some of the first parents from the video game age, or because you're also tech/geek adults, that you play video games so often with your children?

Correct me if I'm exagerrating the amount of games that are being played

#129705 - 10/12/2002 13:11 Re: Asheron's Call 2 [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
For you two I have a question. Do you think it's because you're some of the first parents from the video game age, or because you're also tech/geek adults, that you play video games so often with your children?

A little of both.

The reasons I play video games with my daughter are:

a) We both like video games.

b) It's a way we can spend time together doing something in common as a family. The games have reached a point where they are realistic enough to interest even the non-gamers. My wife watches Rachel and I play with almost the same level of rapt attention as she gives a good movie.

c) She impresses me with her intelligence, skill, and problem-solving abilities.

d) It is another modernized extension of watching movies with your child or reading with your child.

And no one gets to tell me that video games will rot her brain and that we should read with her instead. She is a voracious reader on her own and we also still read to her sometimes (although at 9 she's getting a little old for us reading to her).