Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#146126 - 27/02/2003 10:48 Where to find objective cellphone reviews?
puckalicious

Is there a website that objectively and professionally reviews cellphones? Similar to Anandtech for computers or Storagereview for hard drives. I'm tired of reading how one phone is "cuter" or "has better games" instead of in depth, scientific analysis of cellular reception, battery life, voice quality, etc. You know, the things that make it a phone and not a camera/mp3 player/game system.
There's got to be something better than Cnet orZDnet.

#146127 - 27/02/2003 12:26 Re: Where to find objective cellphone reviews? [Re: puckalicious]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I agree. I don't really mind the CNet reviews, up to a point. They really gloss over things though. The other problem is that the hardly review all the products in every category. They need quality now, not quantity.

#146128 - 27/02/2003 16:42 Re: Where to find objective cellphone reviews? [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've been browsing various web sites along these lines lately, although I've mostly decided that I'm waiting for the Nokia 6200 and I'll probably buy it sight unseen.

That said, here are the cel phone web sites that I prefer. They all pale in comparison to, say, the good camera review sites or any of the computer review sites.

Howard Chui (also has a semi-decent web forum)

mobile.burn.com -- not bad, but it uses enough JavaScript to confuse my anti-advertising filter

MobileMag - more general than just phones

PhoneScoop - tends to have first photos of new phones but short on details

#146129 - 28/02/2003 00:46 Re: Where to find objective cellphone reviews? [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That Mobile Burn site is great. There was a nice long aritcle on a pre-production P800 phone.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have problems with the Howard Chui site? I keep getting the same error every time I click a link: "Sorry, you can't access this file directly..."

Uh, well then how do I access it? The site looks like a nuke site (alla Riocar.org), and I thought that might be the problem, but I can't see a registration link. Besides, that's a pretty poor way to run an information site.

Anyway, I definitely like the Mobile Burn site.

#146130 - 28/02/2003 10:34 Re: Where to find objective cellphone reviews? [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

HowardChui seems to be having problems right now. Maybe one of the competing sites is DDoS'ing him.

Meanwhile, another web site that I forgot to mention is GSMBox. It's provided in a bunch of different languages, and it's clear that the articles are often translated from other languages. Still, it ain't bad at all.

#146131 - 28/02/2003 11:27 Re: Where to find objective cellphone reviews? [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Maybe one of the competing sites is DDoS'ing him

That's kinda sad, since I haven't seen a site that looked better than that one. What a lame thing to do.