Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#161081 - 12/05/2003 13:57 Ditching the phones, but Tivo...
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This summer I'm getting rid of the phones at my place. I have a cell and nobody calls me on the landline, so it will be nice to not have that bill. So now the only thing to take care of is the Tivo. I will get a TurboNet card this week or next from 9thTee. I had asked some questions about setting it up a while back, but reading over that thread there were some questions that weren't answered.

First, I want to start out by just being able to use the network to dial out. Following the sucess of that, I want to try the Telnet and FTP stuff to get programs onto my computer for archiving onto DVDS.

Currently, my setup is this:
-the house is wired with jacks in several rooms, going to a patch block in the closet
-the patch is connected to a hub
-one of the computers on the hub is in that closet, is connected to the cable modem, and is running ICS

Will this be sufficient for dialing out? Will this be enough for getting shows onto my computer? I don't know much networking, so what is this DHCP stuff?

Also, for parts of the year my Tivo will be in a different location. Then, it will be connected directly to my computer's ethernet jack, which will be connected to the internet via a wireless network adapter. Can the Tivo still function normally?

Sorry for so many questions. I would really appreciate as many answers as I could get.

#161082 - 12/05/2003 14:23 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
All you have to do is add ,#401 as a dialing prefix in v3.0 to enable "phone calls" over ethernet.

I really haven't played with 3.0 yet (I just rencently allowed my tivos to upgrade), so I am not sure if you will be able to get a telnet window out of the box. With 2.x you had to install the driver and all that.

#161083 - 12/05/2003 14:25 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
PS- Turbonet cheaper here

#161084 - 12/05/2003 14:27 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: Dignan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
If you have a Standalone Series 1, you can install TivoWeb and one of the addons that lets you download shows (I think I have mfsstream on mine).

If you have a Series 1 DTV, you also need some module to turn off scrambling.

If you have a Series 2, yer scrood.

#161085 - 12/05/2003 14:30 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I got the impression that it was that easy for dialing out, but it sounded like this DHCP thing would be a problem for video extraction.

Thanks a lot for the link, though. I am ordering it now.

#161086 - 12/05/2003 14:35 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: Daria]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I do have a Series 1

#161087 - 12/05/2003 17:48 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Okay, these are good enough instructions to get both the TurboNet in there and to set up Telnet. As far as I can see, those aren't hard at all.

Does anyone have a good instruction page for installing whatever program I would use for video extraction? I've heard TivoApp from Rob, but the author's instructions are pretty much just "I expect you to know Linux" and he starts out of nowhere. I've also heard about TivoWeb. That one sounds fine, but I couldn't find anything about how to install it.

I would also like a good info page on how to add another hard drive to my box. I've just got a 30 hour, so mine probably only has one drive, right?

Lastly, I need to know if the dial-out will work through my computer. Like, can I connect the Tivo directly to my PC, which is then connected to a network? I don't have a way of plugging the Tivo directly into the network at one residence.

Thanks for the help. I ordered my TuboNet card this afternoon. Thanks again, Rob, for the link.

#161088 - 12/05/2003 18:03 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Look here and here for stuff on how to extract video. And here for TivoWeb. (The last one is written for UK TiVo's which are still on 2.x though so there might be some differences)

- Trevor

Edited by tman (12/05/2003 18:04)

#161089 - 12/05/2003 21:48 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: Dignan]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
For me to get video extraction working, and using my broadband for updates, I used the following resources:

Newbie TiVo Hacker How-To Guide - Very well written resource that should be an idiots book. Step by step.
Video Extraction using Tytool - How I extract my videos... But I haven't tried TyStudio yet like tman mentioned.

Hope this helps. The newbie hacker guide will walk you through every step. Just be sure to print it out if you don't have a spare PC lying around.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#161090 - 13/05/2003 00:31 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: Waterman981]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks to both of you. Those are the exact types of guides that I was looking for.

However, I still have that one last question, which is more one of networking than of Tivo. It has to do with connecting the Tivo directly to my computer. Will that let me do either the daily call or the video extraction? What would I have to do differently in the steps described by these guides?

#161091 - 13/05/2003 09:43 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
You'll just need two network cards in the PC, and a crossover ethernet cable. Then you'll set up ICS(internet connection sharing) on the pc. Shouldn't be dificult at all.

Matthew

#161092 - 13/05/2003 13:42 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: matthew_k]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Funny that this discussion just came up on here. I just got my Turbonet card and installed it on my Sony T60 DirecTivo. Got telnet and tivoweb working, but haven't tried Tytools or video extraction yet...

,#401 worked like a charm.

BTW, once I got the BASH prompt, I still needed to load some Unix tools on my TiVo and change the path settings to use simple stuff like "ls"...

- Jon

#161093 - 13/05/2003 14:48 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: jbauer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Just out of curiousity, what is your network like?

#161094 - 13/05/2003 14:51 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: Dignan]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Not sure what kinds of details you want. I have a NetScreen 5XP firewall with a Speedstream DSL modem and a Linksys 8 port switch feeding 6 or 7 Ethenet jacks around the house... Is this the kind of detail you are looking for?

- Jon

#161095 - 14/05/2003 14:39 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Rob, do you have any affiliation with that XtremeTivo place?

#161096 - 20/05/2003 13:07 Re: Ditching the phones, but Tivo... [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I thought I should post this about the site that Rob linked. I saw this on the Tivo Community board:

Warning: There is only one genuine Turbonet card
Hi all,

I am sorry to have to say that for a short period of time recently a un-authroized and poor quality turbonet knock-off was being sold.

These kncok-off cards can be identified by the lack of a rev number on the back under the RJ45 socket.

Turbonet cards are only available from 9thtee or bundled with a harddrive from ptvupgrade.

If you purchased a knock-off card then I would advise you to attempt to get your money back.

I designed the turbonet card as a fun project including custom tivo drivers and numerous prototypes. When people from this forum expressed interest I paid for a prototype run out of my own pocket. Mark (9thtee) took up the cause to help and we were able to take the prototypes to something that could be used by members of the tivo community.

Money from the sale of these cards has helped fund the AirNet card, QuadDrive, and now the CacheCard. I hope to be able to bring the CacheCard to beta testing very soon, and by doing so, aim to prolong the life and improve the user experience of these very cool PVRs.

Ok, so I love to play

Again I apologize for the problems that this has caused and I hope that now that things are back online we can get back to the true spirit of the tivo community.

Sincerely

Nick

------------
When pressed for more info on the subject:
------------
I havn't tested these cards yet, however the ones that I have visually inspected showed tarnished solder joints with hand rework (I am quite happy to post a photo). This doesn't say that they will or will not work, nor if they are all like this, just that I would expect a higher rate of return.

Nick
------------

Just thought I'd let people know. I ordered it from that store, and it works, but hopefully I won't run into problems down the line.