Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#198132 - 12/01/2004 22:09 For those who download MP3s:
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
I'm surprised that [censored] didn't come up in a search. I've been a member of [censored]'s peer-to-peer network for a couple of months now and have DLed 30GBs (roughly 450) of perfectly ripped and labeled MP3 albums!

Albums, not individual tracks, are traded, therefore no one ever has incomplete albums that they are sharing. All of the rips by the members are done using EAC and LAME 3.92, or whatever the current [censored]standard is, at a variable rate of 192Kbps. All of the spelling and release years are checked through Allmusic.com. In fact, if the rip is not perfect, the checking software ([censored]) will label the album folder accordingly and the user cannot share it.

For more inormation go to and follow the directions. You'll have to submit some log files for your application. Turn around is quick. More info is found here too:

Edited by Drakino (13/01/2004 00:07)

#198133 - 13/01/2004 00:06 Re: For those who download MP3s: [Re: CurlyKicker]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Problem is, no matter what way you try to justify it, this is just as illegal as other networks devoted only to the sharing of copyrighted material. The reason it probably didn't come up in a search is that in general, this board is about the legal use of the MP3 format, and specificially how it allows us to listen to our entire music collection in the car. It is not for the discussion on how to listen to everyone elses collection.

Your post is going to be heavially modified by me to avoid attracting the wrong kind of attention. I really don't feel like dealing with a RIAA letter, as the above clearly violates copyright law.

Edited by Drakino (13/01/2004 03:19)

#198134 - 13/01/2004 02:53 Re: For those who download MP3s: [Re: drakino]
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
I understand. I checked out the rules before I made that post and figured since there was no link directly towards copyrighted material, that it was ok to do so. I guess not and that's fine.

PM me if anyone wants info regarding my previous post.

#198135 - 13/01/2004 03:17 Re: For those who download MP3s: [Re: CurlyKicker]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The problem is that they clearly advertise being a Peer to Peer network built for one exact purpose. Sharing complete music albums. And their example on the front page shows not an independant artist granting redistribution rights, but instead the name of an artist who has signed with a music label. Their intent is very clear.

The one network to be shut down to date has been Napster. It also had one purpose, to share music.

I also don't appreciate the invite for anyone to get this information from you about this service using the resources of the board here. This community in general does not endorse the illegal transfer of music.

To respond to your PM, I will edit my post as well.

#198136 - 14/01/2004 15:43 Re: For those who download MP3s: [Re: drakino]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Drakino, that seems a little Draconian.
Allowing individuals free expression on a publicly accessible, Internet-based forum like this one cannot possibly constitute an endorsement of every immoral, looney or crackpot idea being expressed. Or is that what we've sunk to?

#198137 - 14/01/2004 15:53 Re: For those who download MP3s: [Re: DLF]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Don't turn this into a political discussion. It's not about free speech, it's about keeping the forum running.

Tom runs the server on which this BBS is hosted, and he wants to see it continue to operate without hassle from anyone. Because of how it's hosted, we could instantly lose this resource if someone complained to the host that it was some kind of a warez BBS. Tom's not in a position that would allow him to stand up for someone's free speech in that regard.

A long time ago, a religious friend told me his motto: "Avoid even the appearance of sin." That's all Tom's trying to do here... to make sure that everything is (a) on the level, and (b) also appears to be on the level, so that nobody from the RIAA has any reason to even start sniffing around, let alone find anything bad going on.

#198138 - 14/01/2004 15:59 Re: For those who download MP3s: [Re: tfabris]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
OK, OK, I get it. I don't have to *like* it, but I do get it.
"Avoid even the appearance of sin."
There's some advice that Michael Jackson should've taken. (Just seeing if I can get a cease and desist letter from his lawyers....)

#198139 - 14/01/2004 16:11 Re: For those who download MP3s: [Re: drakino]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Can we just lock this thread?

#198140 - 14/01/2004 16:12 Re: For those who download MP3s: [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sure.

#198141 - 16/01/2004 13:37 Re: For those who download MP3s: [Re: DLF]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'll toss one last thing in here about my thought process on this one. The complaint came up that I censored the name of the network, but yet said another network in my response. This is indeed true.

But, the main reason I changed the post was not only the network name, but the specific linking on how to use the product to ensure music would be downloaded from it. Similar to the difference between just saying Napster, and pointing to tips to ensure you download the highest quality albums off Napster. Or in another context, the difference between talking about stealing a car, and discussing how to break the window then hotwire the car.

Even if the RIAA has no real power, they can cause all kinds of time and money wasting things to happen to a person. And the problem is, that "Email BBS Admin" at the bottom goes to me, so I'd be the person having to deal with the problem first, not the posters here. Unfortunatly that is the reality of todays twisted laws in the US.