Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#198338 - 14/01/2004 14:24 The perfect game controller, now for the PC.
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Finally got one of these, and it's the shiznit. There's a competing product called the "Skillz Cube Connection", but everyone seemed to be out of stock, so I got that one instead.

I believe the GameCube controller to be the epitome of game pads, and now I can use it as a USB joystick on the PC.

The driver software is even decent, allowing me to put the stick into some interesting modes. I can make the digital pad report itself to windows as a flightstick's "hat switch", or it can just be four buttons. It can also be a digital directional controller, reporting itself as the X and Y axes on joystick 1. The analog triggers report themselves as two separate throttle controls with separate buttons at the bottom of their travel. Even the rumble feature works, although I don't think I have any games which would use it.

Anyone else like the GameCube controller?

#198339 - 14/01/2004 14:41 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Does it work with a Wavebird?

#198340 - 14/01/2004 14:45 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Good question! Haven't tried. We've got one in the house, so I'll try that when I get a chance.

#198341 - 14/01/2004 14:45 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

In fact, if it does work, I might just buy myself a wavebird of my own...

#198342 - 14/01/2004 15:46 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Anyone else like the GameCube controller?
Of course!

This looks great, and would definitely be cool if it works for the Wavebird. I love those so much that I have four of them now. I can't wait to try them out on Mario Kart with my friends. The N64 didn't have very long cables so that was annoying.

I am also of the opinion that the Gamecube is the perfect gamepad, but I can see that many don't share that opinion. My roommate even has roughly the same size hands as I do, but he thinks the controller is too small. I like that about it. I don't want to reach for a button. That doesn't make any sense.

You've also said that you like how the buttons are actually different on the GC controller, as in the A and B buttons of different sizes. What I like even more is the Z button. It took a little getting used to, but I love how I can keep one finger on both the Z and R buttons at the same time, and keep them seperate in my mind. This is as opposed to the PS2 and XBox controllers, which have 4 shoulder buttons. I've tried playing those systems, and I kept messing up L1, L2, R1, and R2.

Anyway, I agree, the GC controller is fantastic. At least, for me it is.

ps- I love the name of that contraption, too: "Super Joybox 13"

#198343 - 14/01/2004 15:57 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, the shoulder buttons on the PS2 controller always confused me, too.

#198344 - 14/01/2004 16:26 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: Dignan]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
xbox only has two 'shoulder' buttons. one trigger on each side.

#198345 - 14/01/2004 19:40 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Argh, Wavebird doesn't work.

It seems like it SHOULD work, the receiver's LED lights up and it seems to do the right thing when I press buttons on the controller, but the PC software doesn't respond. It's as if the controller was never plugged in.

I tried all sorts of combinations of plugging and unplugging, and turning the wavebird on and off, and trying different channels (yes, I set both the receiver and the wavebird to the right channel), but no dice. Plug the regular controller in and the software responds instantly.

The only things I can imagine are:

- Wavebird receiver needs more juice than USB can deliver. Note that the interface is plugged directly into the PC mobo, so it's not an unpowered-hub issue.

- Real gamecube has special code to deal with a plugged-in wavebird receiver, and this interface does not.

Hmph. Wonder if the competing product (SkillzCube USB) works with the Wavebird?

#198346 - 14/01/2004 19:42 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
xbox only has two 'shoulder' buttons. one trigger on each side.
Oops, sorry. I must be visualizing the two slots in the middle.

#198347 - 21/01/2004 09:05 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
A couple of years ago I saw a device that would work with practically all console controllers, connecting them to a PC and allowing for fancy button and pad remaps. Anyone else have links to similar products?

The two Tony mentions are both available from Lik Sang and a number of other places.

Bruno

#198348 - 21/01/2004 11:51 Re: The perfect game controller, now for the PC. [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I actually had a very good shopping experience with Lik Sang. I was a little nervous about ordering something from the far east, but it was all very good. Proper emails with tracking numbers, up-front and straightforward about their shipping charges, clear indication of which shipping methods could be tracked, etc.