Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235657 - 30/09/2004 01:04 Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon?
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
(I wish there was a Post Icon of a guy gnashing his teeth in anger, because I'd use that for this post)

So, for the past 5 days, I've been receiving a calls from a nearby Verizon Wireless cellphone user. No biggie, right, except that the cell calls me EVERY 40 minutes AROUND the clock. Yet when I pick up, all I hear is dead air for 2.5 minutes until it hangs up. And though it lets the phone ring 4 times, it never a dead air message on my (phone company managed) voicemail.

A call to Verizon quickly revealed that, yes, this is a cell phone calling me. However, the rep could not do anything about it, and only sort of said that my local police could contact Verizon to help stop it.

Call to my local police have yeilded nothing but passing the buck for days and days. They suggested that I use Sprints *57, but couldn't tell me what to do with it once I did. And Sprint's *57 service quaintly disconnected me before telling me what I needed to do. A call to Sprint's customer service reps tomorrow might help, but they may just tell me to keep pressing *57, which costs $1 every time; as if Sprint doesn't nickel-and-dime me to death already (but that's another, much more angry rant).

So, I wonder three things:

1. Does anyone know of a feature on a Verizon-able cell phone that calls a number every 40 minutes for days on end?

2. Does anyone here work at Verizon that could help me stop this insanity?

3. Is it helping suck up the caller's minutes and generate a huge bill because I pick up the calls and let them sit for 2.5 minutes? And does it suck up their minutes simply to dial me even when I can't pick up?

I really hate having to take my phone off the hook every night for fear of missing a legitimate call. I'm basicaly being DoS'ed by someone or something, and it's making me kind of mad. Thoughts? Thanks everyone.

#235658 - 30/09/2004 01:22 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
What happens if you call the number ?

Matt

#235659 - 30/09/2004 01:22 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I bet *57 is free if the police actually use the info from it.

#235660 - 30/09/2004 01:28 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
3. Is it helping suck up the caller's minutes and generate a huge bill because I pick up the calls and let them sit for 2.5 minutes? And does it suck up their minutes simply to dial me even when I can't pick up?

Yes and maybe, so maybe take some consolation from this!
Sounds like a configuration problem. Surprised that Verizon can't/won't pursue based on abuse of service. Have you politely, but unhappily asked to speak with a supervisor...and the supervisor's boss?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#235661 - 30/09/2004 02:39 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Last time this happened to me, it was Loren calling.

See, as part of one of the Bay Area meets, I'd given the cell phone number to him, and he had put it on one of his speed-dial buttons...

Basically, I'd get calls where all I heard was the sound of his car driving along the highway... from the point of view of his back pocket...

#235662 - 30/09/2004 06:32 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
In the UK there is a fixed line service called "Choose to Refuse" - it lets you block any number from calling you, even if the CLID is witheld. If you want it you normally need to pay but if you are receiving nuisance calls it is offered free.

I suspect there is a similar block that your phone company can put on it, perhaps until you find out a permanent solution from Verizon.

Gareth

#235663 - 30/09/2004 06:45 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: g_attrill]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
Quote:
In the UK there is a fixed line service called "Choose to Refuse"

I really wish I could find a way to block calls presented as "Unavailable" to my UK ntl line. I've got number withheld blocking, but international telesales still get through

Oh yea, the other day a (genuine) number from the US was CLID presented on my BT line. That was novel!
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#235664 - 30/09/2004 08:22 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: mdavey]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
What about something like *69 to try and call them back? At least to find out who they are.

#235665 - 30/09/2004 09:07 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: pgrzelak]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
If he is calling verizon trying to get info about the call I figured he must know the number ?

Matt

#235666 - 30/09/2004 11:51 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: mdavey]
g_attrill
old hand

Quote:
I really wish I could find a way to block calls presented as "Unavailable" to my UK ntl line. I've got number withheld blocking, but international telesales still get through

That is the main flaw, and unavailable can be presented by other methods too - eg. "SS7" capable exchanges which are directly connected to the network.

One idea is to screen calls through a bit of software and a Caller-ID capable modem. Because the ID is sent before the first ring I think they can pick up the phone before you hear it, and play a message or just drop the line.

Possibly Asterisk could do all this - I haven't looked into it but it is worth a look.

Gareth

#235667 - 01/10/2004 03:00 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: pgrzelak]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Oh, I've got the number. Written plain as day all across my Caller ID logs. It's so local I could probably throw a stone and hit the perp. But no amount of looking on the internet has found out who it belongs to. I'll be trying Verizon again, then maybe Sprint (who will probably sign me up for $5/month "DataLine Guard" just for talking to them).

And g_attrill, we have those services in the US, but they rarely work against cell phones. Cell phones seem to be immune to alot of things for one reason or another. It's both a blessing (you can't get unsolicited business calls on your cell) and a curse (you can't block unsolicited / harassing cell calls).

Into day 6 of nonstop calls every 40 minutes. I hope someone has to fit that bill.

#235668 - 01/10/2004 03:04 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
Daria
carpal tunnel

what happens if you call the number?

#235669 - 01/10/2004 10:48 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Here's an idea: hang a modem on the line and let it answer. If it's a data call, it will pick up and squeal back: if it's fax, then it can be received and cleared. If it's voice, then eventually the noise will get someone's attention.

Why don't you post the number here and we will all dial it with re-tries every 30 seconds from our modems? THAT will wake the bugger up!
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#235670 - 01/10/2004 10:58 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: Daria]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

If I call the number, it rings 6 or 7 times before James Earl Jones picks up and tells me that the Verizon user has not set up their voicemail yet. No way to identify the caller based on voicemail message.

Rob, it may very well be some sort of machine waiting for a connect noise. I would hook up a listening fax and listening modem in a heart beat, but the victimized line is my primary house phone which is also used by my sisters business. I can't get in it's way. But, hm...... at night....... turn the ringer off, put a fax or computer on it......

#235671 - 01/10/2004 17:27 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
See ... I knew you'd get pissed off enough at some point
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#235672 - 01/10/2004 17:45 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
So you can't get the name back from a reverse-lookup on a site like superpages.com?

#235673 - 01/10/2004 17:59 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: Dignan]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Cell (mobile) phones are generally unlisted, and don't show up in those directories.

-jk

#235674 - 01/10/2004 22:33 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: schofiel]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Quote:
I knew you'd get pissed off enough at some point

Sooner than I thought. I spoke to a wonderful Verizon rep today but couldn't get anything done about it. So, I called Sprint to verify their call trace system in order to hand this off to the police. My sister then traced the call (again) and handed it off to the police who acted upon it quickly.

But not quick enough, because Sprint wants a fax from the police showing the request for the cell owner's info in writing. Fine, but it won't be done by this weekend, so that's 72 more calls to my house.

And when the (local) police do have the owner's info, they can't give it to me, which is fine. But, they will only act on it if the owner is a resident of my town (possible, but only slightly). If the owner lives outside my town, they will have to hand it off to municipal court.

How many weeks will that take? How many more hundreds of times does my phone have to ring; every 40 minutes non-stop? How many more nights will I have to take the phone off the hook, rendering me unreachable in case of emergency? And what if the owner lives outside my county, will it have to go to the state police? How many months will that take?

This is the last bit of agitation that I need right now. Two simple phone calls and this will stop. But knowing my life, the owner will probably turn it around and sue me for the MASSIVE bill he will receive, probably because I didn't notify him sooner.

At this point, my only hope is that the owner gets the bill, wakes up from the heart attack it causes, then puts a stop to it. Or, enough months go by where the bill is unpaid and the phone is simply disconnected. Worst case, a couple of months. What harm will be caused by another thousand or two errant phone calls, eh?

#235675 - 01/10/2004 23:21 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
g_attrill
old hand

That's just crazy - over here you call BT's Malicious Calls Bureau and they instantly add the service to your account, then when the number calls again you hang up then dial 14258** and it's blocked.

The amount of hassle to actually get the calls stopped is probably about the same (paperwork, police that care etc..) and you are just as unlikely to get their name/address, but the physical problem would be sorted.

Gareth

#235676 - 02/10/2004 06:38 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: g_attrill]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
A related story:

A friend of mine one day started getting similar calls to his cell phone. If he answered the call, he'd hear either nothing or faint muddled noises. They were always from the same number, and calling the number back did no good; the other end never answered and went straight to a non-configured voice mail box.

These calls didn't have a set frequency, but happened at least a few per day, and sometimes several in an hour. All times of day, too.

From the number and the voice mail recording, my friend figured out it was a Sprint PCS number calling him, and called Sprint for some help. A couple of calls didn't get him any information, but finally one day he got a rep who told him that number wasn't assigned to an actual customer, but was assigned to a Sprint PCS store.

My friend immediately went down to the local Sprint PCS store to see what he might be able to find out there. After talking to several employees and having them all put their heads together, they finally stumbled upon the following:

Seems that one of my friend's friends had apparently called my friend once from one of the demo phones at this Sprint PCS store. That particular phone was fastened to its display stand with a zip tie that partially obscured one of the buttons (the talk button?), that when held down became a last number redial button. Apparently there was just enough pressure on the button that a temperature fluctuation or a breeze or something would make it actually make contact and dial my friend's phone. So, for days, this phone was just sitting in some out of the way corner of the store, making these repeated calls to my friend's phone with no one in the store even noticing.

As I recall, since my friend also had service with Sprint, he convinced them to give him some free minutes for his trouble or something.

Either way, I think your situation must be similar. Someone has a piece of equipment with a modem that needs to dial every 40 minutes and they've entered the dial up number wrong or something. Don't know why it's dialing out over a cell phone, though...

#235677 - 02/10/2004 08:45 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Have you tried plugging a fax into the line yet ?

#235678 - 02/10/2004 09:50 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: adavidw]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
Don't know why it's dialing out over a cell phone, though...

Fairly common here if the piece of equipment might be positioned where it for some reason can't be hooked up to a wired line. I know of a vending machine that calls home, by cell, when it needs refilling... GSM modules aren't that costly.

#235679 - 02/10/2004 14:09 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: mtempsch]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Actually, these days there are credit card machines that work that way.

#235680 - 02/10/2004 16:35 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: andy]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

adavidw, good good story. My caller could easily be a phone in a Verizon shop, plugged into the wall for power and plugged into a computer for testing, burried under a stack of junk or something. I have garnered that it's registered to a business and that the phone is very very rarely used. And, interestingly, I have also found that I did receive one call from that number just under two months ago... at 4am. Some kid pushing buttons on a store demo? Maybe not, but it could be a similar situation.....

andy, I didn't hook up a fax yet. Every calling fax machine I've used will issue their connection beep about every 3 seconds. This hits the receiving fax line's squeeling and the communication begins. But like mtempsch and dbrashear say, it could be some other machine waiting for the recipient to start the connection handshake. If it's a vending machine that needs restocking, that would explain why it's used only a few minutes a month. It might just be having some kind of failure.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone; that the outside-the-box thinking that I didn't see. I'll add this to my notes and see if it helps me with further calls to Verizon.

#235681 - 02/10/2004 20:01 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
Defiler
journeyman

You should definitely immediately find the website for your state's Public Service Commision.
Usually, the URL looks something like this:
http://www.psc.state.fl.us/
Often you can just replace FL with your state's two-letter code, and find it. Otherwise, just hit up Google.
Once you file a PSC complaint, the carrier (Verizon) has 24 working hours to respond, or else they start getting fined.
You WILL get your situation resolved, probably by some high-tier CSR inside Verizon. I've had similar things happen, and the PSC has always come through for me.

#235682 - 02/10/2004 23:46 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: Defiler]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Wow, thanks for that tip. I like Verizon Wirelss, I really do. I don't want to cause them too much trouble because it's probably not their fault. But I may try this to light a fire under someone's tail.

Haha, now every time I get the call, I just picture this soda machine sitting outside some building facing an empty parking lot at 3am... calling me because it's out of Pepsi.

#235683 - 04/10/2004 01:40 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I don't know why a single call to Sprint didn't work. Maybe you didn't say the magic words:

"If these calls are not blocked by tomorrow morning, I'm cancelling my service."

Bruno

#235684 - 04/10/2004 03:39 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: hybrid8]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

<not a rant at you, but at Sprint>

Ha, I twitch with insane laughter at the thought of that phrase. Oh, how I'd say that to every Sprint "customer service" rep that's signed me up for services without my acknowledgement. I can't count the number of times I'd say it to all the "solutions providers" who have been flat-dumb unable to help me setup my office phone line setup.

Why, Sprint has the monopoly in my area. I have no choice. I just spend a few hours tonight (the last of MANY) totalling up over $400 in unnecessary charges from the past 6 months that they snuck on my bills while I was trying to modify my setup. Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of dollars in long distance charges since they "slammed" me; taking my local toll and long distance from 18 cents/minute MCI to their FOURTY cents/minute plan. Um, that's how much I pay when I'm over my cell phone minutes, and they want me to pay it all the time?

So no, the only thing that a call to Sprint will get me is some loose-cannon comission-sharking predatory sales representative signing me up for "perminant harassing call trace service" at the slightest mention of the subject.

Verizon, on the other hand, are great, and I hope they continue to do so. I will have more luck with them.

#235685 - 04/10/2004 04:59 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Verizon, on the other hand, are great, and I hope they continue to do so. I will have more luck with them.

5 years after my CO was equipped, and almost as long after they called and baited me, still no DSL. Verizon can rot...

Oh, and when they announced FIOS it (edit: their availability web page) claimed I could get the service but it wasn't available here yet. Now the claim is less grandiose. Now, here's the thing: Verizon already has fiber in my house. So it's really all at the CO end, and I'm sure seeing as we can get DSL they won't bother.

Meantime, they advertised last year in the state capitol about how great they were and what a tragedy it would be to break up their monopoly. Hey, pricks, the money you spent on advertising would have easily made your claims of good service actually true, if you'd spent it on providing the service.

This year they're running commercials of a phone call from a customer to a cable company, finding out how much cable broadband costs, then playing it again with a call to Verizon and a much lower price. And again, I say, put up or shut up...

If Verizon is great, we're sunk.

Edited by dbrashear (04/10/2004 05:01)

#235686 - 04/10/2004 10:31 Re: Stopping weeklong repeat caller - Anyone inside Verizon? [Re: FireFox31]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Quote:
... totalling up over $400 in unnecessary charges from the past 6 months that they snuck on my bills while I was trying to modify my setup.

I saw a US news article that said that a lot of people are finding this. Basically it's in the best interest of the phone company because of the large number of people who don't query the charges and just pay - businesses, people too scared of the interminable complaints system or people who just don't have time. I think this is one of the biggest rip-off scams I've heard, because it's based on the idea that to get your refund or whatever is made as difficult as possible without actually contravening any laws.

Mind you, telecom companies rival music publishing companies for old-school screw-the-customers-for-every-penny-they-have attitude. What they charge for a voice connection that uses 2KB or so at peak is simply unbelievable when you compare it to what you pay for data - even 9600 baud - over the same lines.

Must resist urge to kill!

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >