Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#265856 - 23/09/2005 05:25 My Name Is Earl
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
This has to be the funniest new show on television. It combines suave redneck with the irreverent comedy of Office Space.

Since I live on the other side of the planet, I usually don't get certain TV shows until a season or two later. Thus, I must rely on the TiVo decoding/re-encoding/uploading abilities of my brother, so I'm normally watching show a couple days after they air.

I think I laughed more during this show than any other since Seinfeld. And watching the show the second time through reveled the amount of attention to detail that the producers put into it.

Highly recommended as a must watch.

#265857 - 23/09/2005 09:07 Re: My Name Is Earl [Re: Cybjorg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just told my Tivo to start grabbing episodes as a matter of fact. Looking forward to seeing some.

#265858 - 23/09/2005 12:08 Re: My Name Is Earl [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I set it up as a favorite on my PVR a few weeks ago. Since it stars Jason Lee I just had to check it out. I wasn't let down. Great new comedy. No laugh track, lots of on-location shooting, good stuff. Malcolm in the Middle with much more adult themes and a lot more trailer park. I only wish it was an hour long as I had originally thought (sort of like the show Ed - which I also loved).

Bruno

#265859 - 24/09/2005 16:00 Re: My Name Is Earl [Re: hybrid8]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Odd, the preview I saw seemed so predictable that it only slightly suggested some humor (which, thankfully, is vastly more humor than many sitcoms have to offer). With all the radio/TV hype, I was worried the producers were trying to make up for a lacking show. Comparing it to Malcom in the Middle, who's only saving grace are the multi-second bits of They Might Be Giants, seemed appropriate.

But maybe I'm a stiff critic of today's dry, humorless sitcoms (Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Friends, etc, etc, etc). And a stiff critic of today's endlessly, pointlessly meandering suspense shows (ie: will Lost ever be found? will X-Files ever get the aliens?). And critical of the infinitely intertangled (ie: main character never seems to run out of best friends to date and break up with) and laced-with-sex-to-get-your-attention dramas. And why are even the most innane shows so DARK these days; is that supposed to be dramatic? It's like The WB is in a brownout.

The only shows I've ever actually laughed at are Simpsons, Seinfeld, Family Guy (oh SO wrong), Will and Grace (cuts like a knife), That 70's Show, and Grounded For Life. Those shows employ tricks and humor (ie: Grounded's flashbacks which show what's *really* going on) which nobody else seems to find profitable.

#265860 - 24/09/2005 16:04 Re: My Name Is Earl [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I think I need to get a list of recommendations from you.

So I can avoid (nearly) each and every show on it.

And see if you can get a list of everything you hate to me, too.

#265861 - 05/10/2005 22:06 Re: My Name Is Earl [Re: Cybjorg]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This show is hilarious!

#265862 - 06/10/2005 00:18 Re: My Name Is Earl [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I think I need to get a list of recommendations from you.

So I can avoid (nearly) each and every show on it.

And see if you can get a list of everything you hate to me, too.
Exactly what I was thinking actually . . . I guess there's no accounting for taste.

#265863 - 06/10/2005 21:01 Re: My Name Is Earl [Re: wfaulk]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
My Name is Earl is great stuff. best thing going for comedies this season, no doubt.

You're speaking to a person who hates TV with a passion. It's all garbage. only reason I'm watching this new show is cause jason lee was one of my fav pro skaters back in the day. he's got street cred and he's a damned funny actor.

Quote:

What's that ?

Like it ? I framed it before you got here.

Oh, my god ! Rene dumped you.

Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn for sega.

Wow, look at this laundry list of complaints: "You have no direction; No college ambition; No job prospect."

It also says I have no dick, but you'll notice that follows the financial question, proving once more what women really look for.

She calls you callow.

You say that like it's bad.

Well, it means "frightened and weak-willed."

Really ?

Shit. That was the part of the letter I thought was complimentary.

Kevin Smith's writing, but Jason Lee is what makes the character funny. A shame his bit in enemy of the state was 5 minutes, culminating in him getting creamed by a bus.

(i was big into skateboarding, so seeing people like him and Bam Margera expand their empire makes me happy. i was sponsored at one point, but i wasn't as good as these pro skaters with million dollar contracts. Only sponsor I had was Vans

Edited by shadow45 (06/10/2005 21:18)

#265864 - 06/10/2005 21:21 Re: My Name Is Earl [Re: FireFox31]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
Scrubs is pretty funny. and so is the new one about the pill-popping doctor, "House MD" i think its called.

What I need is torrents for the original The Office - if its surpassed Faulty Towers for Brits' favorite comedy shows ever, it -has- to be seen!

#265865 - 07/10/2005 02:31 Re: My Name Is Earl [Re: shadow45]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Couldn't agree more. Jason Lee in Mallrats is, IMO, the single best thing out of all of Kevin Smith's work.

Have you seen Mumford? I like that movie, and while he's not the star, he's a primary supporting character. What's even better is that he acts and skateboards in the movie