Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#267271 - 15/10/2005 00:59 Wicked awesome travel site
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Someone at work sent out this link on how to get through the phone maze when you need to talk to someone. I wasn't too impressed with the list itself, but I saw kayak.com listed on there. I was like... "A kayak website really needs a complex phone answering system?" But, since I'm into kayaking, I clicked the link. Boy, was it not what I expected.

It's a travel search engine, and it rocks. It totally blows away anything else I've seen in this arena. It does a ridiculous amount of searching, but it's fast, and once you have all the data, you can twiddle your view of the data like no other site I've seen. It's like the Google Maps of travel sites.

Sweet. Good-bye Travelocity, Orbitz, and all the rest. Now I just have to find somewhere to go.

#267272 - 15/10/2005 06:39 Re: Wicked awesome travel site [Re: canuckInOR]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
YES! THANK YOU. This is what I've always wanted in a flight search tool. Seriously... that link has lifted a stress off of my shoulders. I DREAD looking for plane tickets and having to deal with the horrible interfaces on the travel sites that force you to go through back clicks and start overs to expand search options. This site is brilliant. Thank you thank you thank you.

[edit]Okay, I got a bit two excited to quick, and overall it's still by far the best I've seen, but it's missing two important features.

1. Multi-leg flights.
2. the ability to time shift the departure and arrival days as easily as you can all of the other features you can toggle and weed out. A simple +1 or -1 days link would rule.

Edited by loren (15/10/2005 07:02)

#267273 - 15/10/2005 16:42 Re: Wicked awesome travel site [Re: canuckInOR]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Wow, that is something else. Maybe I'll find an alternative to flying Continental everywhere. Thanks.

#267274 - 15/10/2005 19:53 Re: Wicked awesome travel site [Re: FireFox31]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I sent in some feedback and the CTO of the company actually wrote me back with their gameplan... here was the email:

Quote:
Check back later this fall for multi-leg (or multi-city) search for our air
product. As for flexible dates, we don't have that one scheduled yet since
it is a little tricky to make that work across the hundreds of sites that
we search, given that those that implement it do so in very different ways.
We know that would be a cool feature for a site like ours, so it is on the
list for some future enhancement.

Nice. They actually DO read every comment they receive!

#267275 - 16/10/2005 03:19 Re: Wicked awesome travel site [Re: loren]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Can quality small operations like this stay small and quality? For once? Please?

#267276 - 16/10/2005 23:30 Re: Wicked awesome travel site [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
They also seemed to lack Flight/Hotel package deals. For example they located decent flight deals for Vegas from Toronto, but Expedia.ca just blew away all the results with their Flight/Hotel deals. I'm trying to book something for CES and likely only have another week or two to make the move if I want to do it without breaking the bank.

Bruno