Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#337580 - 26/09/2010 20:55 Stupid websites that store credit card info
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
So today I got an email that I had added funds to my Play Station wallet. Well I didn't do it and was just guessing the email was some spam but I decided to check the account anyway. Sure enough someone added a 140.00 to my wallet and bought a bunch of PSP games.

I purchased something from there in 2008 and didn't even know they had the card on file.

Why the heck to websites insist on keeping your card info on file. At least they could have it be an option to not keep it. I don't even know how the thing got on there really because I have had the card replaced since 2008. Well I went around to Amazon and every other site I can think of that I bought stuff from and changed passwords / deleted card info but can't remember every site I have made purchases on.

Matt

#337596 - 27/09/2010 01:38 Re: Stupid websites that store credit card info [Re: msaeger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
AT&T has my boss's card on file for paying for my iPhone service. He didn't realize it would store it, and now that it has I could easily go in and pay my bill on his card if I wanted (which I haven't done- but in a pinch it's nice to know if he's out sick or something)- he logs in every month to pay it, but it's funny that his involvement isn't actually necessary with his card on file.

#337630 - 27/09/2010 18:17 Re: Stupid websites that store credit card info [Re: msaeger]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Originally Posted By: msaeger
Well I went around to Amazon and every other site I can think of that I bought stuff from and changed passwords / deleted card info but can't remember every site I have made purchases on.

Well it's not going to be an issue for you now because you are calling the credit card company to get the charge reversed and getting a new card right? So all your old saved cards are now useless. I think it's inevitable anymore that your credit card will get hacked at least once every three years or so.

#337636 - 27/09/2010 19:04 Re: Stupid websites that store credit card info [Re: siberia37]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: siberia37
I think it's inevitable anymore that your credit card will get hacked at least once every three years or so.

Not if you have a card issued from a bank that allows you to use one-time/limited time use, disposable numbers for online or over-the-phone purchases.

You do use them, don't you?

#337637 - 27/09/2010 20:07 Re: Stupid websites that store credit card info [Re: canuckInOR]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
I think it's inevitable anymore that your credit card will get hacked at least once every three years or so.

Not if you have a card issued from a bank that allows you to use one-time/limited time use, disposable numbers for online or over-the-phone purchases.

Good point it looks like Citi does have this option now. I don't think the fraud problem is going to be solved until they actually start making a more secure system of payment then the credit card number though.

#337648 - 27/09/2010 23:23 Re: Stupid websites that store credit card info [Re: siberia37]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Well I went around to Amazon and every other site I can think of that I bought stuff from and changed passwords / deleted card info but can't remember every site I have made purchases on.

Well it's not going to be an issue for you now because you are calling the credit card company to get the charge reversed and getting a new card right? So all your old saved cards are now useless. I think it's inevitable anymore that your credit card will get hacked at least once every three years or so.

I have more than one card so yeah if this one is stored someplace it shouldn't matter anymore but I have others that have not been canceled.

Matt

#337649 - 27/09/2010 23:25 Re: Stupid websites that store credit card info [Re: canuckInOR]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I don't know if wells fargo offers those or not. When I called them to cancel the card they recommended getting a separate account with a different card tied to it. Then just transfer the money to that account when I want to buy something. Yikes.

Matt

#337650 - 27/09/2010 23:29 Re: Stupid websites that store credit card info [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I called Sony today and they refunded the money. No one can tell me if the fact that I canceled the card will cause a problem with that or not. I will just have to wait a couple days and see I guess.

They recommended after I make a purchase I go online and delete the card from the account or purchase pre-paid cards. How about they just not store the credit card info. I didn't even say anything about the storing it they just offered up that advice un-provoked.

Matt

#337684 - 28/09/2010 15:36 Re: Stupid websites that store credit card info [Re: msaeger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR

I don't know if wells fargo offers those or not.

Unfortunately, they don't. The best they have are the "Verified by Visa" and "Mastercard SecureCode" programs, which just make you enter a password if you're doing online shopping at a website that supports them.

Edited by canuckInOR (28/09/2010 15:37)