Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#349915 - 22/01/2012 15:27 Windows 7 on Mac via Bootcamp
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
If I have a Mac running Windows 7, installed via Bootcamp, and Nvidia releases new versions of its video card drivers, can I safely download them and install them in Windows 7 (running on a Mac, installed via bootcamp)?

If they won't work, why?

Thank you! smile
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#349916 - 22/01/2012 15:36 Re: Windows 7 on Mac via Bootcamp [Re: Taym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Yes, they will work. Windows running on a Mac via Bootcamp is essentially the same as running Windows on any other PC compatible machine. On the desktop side keep in mind that the Mac Mini, and iMac use notebook class GPUs. Only the Mac Pro will need drivers for a desktop class GPU.

#349917 - 22/01/2012 15:39 Re: Windows 7 on Mac via Bootcamp [Re: drakino]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Thank you. So, you confirm that bookcamp is just a multiboot tool, and not a virtualization tool of any kind. There's no virtual software layer between windows and the hardware, othe rthan the drivers?

Thank you!

#349919 - 22/01/2012 17:43 Re: Windows 7 on Mac via Bootcamp [Re: Taym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Correct. Bootcamp is simply a friendly name to the tool that helps to resize an OS X partition to make room for another OS (Windows officially). It also helps by downloading the newest Windows drivers for the Mac and offers to burn them to a CD or USB stick. And on newer systems without a DVD drive, it will help convert a Windows 7 ISO to a bootable USB drive.

Macs use EFI to boot, a newer specification then the legacy BIOS. EFI on the Mac (and PCs that support it) include a module to add BIOS compatibility for "legacy" systems. This allows non EFI compatible operating systems to still function. The Mac EFI is where the actual multi OS support comes from, either in presenting the boot menu seen when holding down Option during boot, or is what receives the commands from the OS to boot into a different OS next time.

#349923 - 22/01/2012 22:55 Re: Windows 7 on Mac via Bootcamp [Re: drakino]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Interesting. So, you're saying that the moltiboot function is not in bootcamp but in the EFI bios itself. That makes sense. If so, I suppose bootcamp also configures the bios to present the boot menu, together with doing the partitioning job, correct?

One more question: when you (and official documentation) say "Windows drivers for Mac", by "for Mac" you mean "for the standard hardware installed in that particula Mac computer" - video, ethernet, chipset, wireless card, drivers, etc -, or do you mean "Apple proprietary hardware requiring drivers from Apple"? Is there anything Apple proprietary in the hardware, requiring drivers from Apple specifically, or is Apple, as I was assuming, simply making the MB+Bios, as Dell or Lenovo, for example, would do?

Also, assuming that the Apple macbook hardware is all, or mostly, stanrdard PC hardware, would I be right in assuming bootcamp, in supplying these drivers, is merely facilitating the installation job since I may very well install drivers later (or, even during setup), as I would normally, simply do with a PC?

Thank you!

#349925 - 22/01/2012 23:23 Re: Windows 7 on Mac via Bootcamp [Re: Taym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Bootcamp is also useful for helping to place a legacy (MBR) partition in place before starting the installer, ensuring that Windows goes to the right spot without disrupting the OS X install and GPT partitioning.

On the driver side, most are just normal PC drivers, provided by Intel, AMD, NVidia and others. The driver installer that Bootcamp creates runs them all with silent installs, making it pretty quick to be up and running. There are Apple specific drivers too, allowing control of the screen brightness, trackpad, and other Apple specific pieces of hardware. It also adds a utility allowing the default OS to be changed back to OS X to reboot to.

#349926 - 22/01/2012 23:34 Re: Windows 7 on Mac via Bootcamp [Re: drakino]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Ok. Thank you Tom. This was really useful.