Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#165287 - 12/06/2003 09:46 Extra Audio Control
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'll try a new post for this:

I need some way to control the audio output on my soundcard via software. Are there programs that will limit frequency ranges? Unfortunately, the computer I need this on only has onboard audio, and I don't think there's any "advanced" software for it (I've spent a couple hours checking).

Thanks for any help.

ps- If I have a 10W amp feeding 15W speakers, is there such a device that I can use to boost the power level up in-between?

#165288 - 12/06/2003 11:29 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I need some way to control the audio output on my soundcard via software. Are there programs that will limit frequency ranges?
I don't know of any. The only software I know about that gives you detailed control over frequencies is playback software. For example, WinAmp has an equalizer, but it only works for music you play in WinAmp. It doesn't work for all the programs on your computer. The thing you're talking about would have to be done at the driver level or with a driver "shim" like Total Recorder. You might simply want to upgrade to a more advanced sound card with features that let you control this stuff.

ps- If I have a 10W amp feeding 15W speakers, is there such a device that I can use to boost the power level up in-between?
Yeah, a bigger amplifier. But the thing is, assuming these are speakers that aren't self-amplified, remember that that 15w rating is their maximum power handling. You don't HAVE to drive 15w speakers with a 15w amp, the 10w amp will do just fine. If all you want is louder, and turning up the volume doesn't work, then yeah, you need a bigger amp. Maybe you could buy an external equalizer while you're at it and kill two birds with one stone.

Now, these two questions in the same post make me wonder why you're asking in the first place. You want to limit frequency ranges, and you also want to know about the wattage of driving speakers. Are your existing speakers are distorting on heavy bass sounds and you want to fix that?

#165289 - 12/06/2003 11:39 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Basically these speakers sound very "tiny" (I'm not sure how to spell that, sounds like "tin" + e ). You are right, Winamp's controls work well, and I suppose I was looking for something that applied that to all audio going out the line output. When I loaded "Full Bass & Treble" in Winamp's equalizer, the sound improved greatly. Unfortunately, these speakers mostly won't be used for Winamp.

Perhaps that equalizer isn't a bad idea. do you know of any very simple equalizer/amp combos? I just need it to drive 2 to 4 speakers.

#165290 - 12/06/2003 11:41 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
"tiny" (I'm not sure how to spell that, sounds like "tin" + e )
Tinny.

#165291 - 12/06/2003 11:42 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well, even after reading the other thread, I'm not clear on whether these speakers are powered by an external amplifier, or if they are self-powered. You talked about running only power wires to the ceiling.

If the speakers are self-powered, than any equalizer made for home stereos will do just fine. It will have line-level inputs and outputs. You can get them at any home stereo shop.

If the speakers are powered by an external amplifier, just turn up the bass and treble on the external amplifier. If it doesn't have a bass and treble control, buy one that does.

#165292 - 12/06/2003 11:53 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: Dignan]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
those flat panal speakers do sound tinny as they can't move large amounts of air needed to drive bass but if i remeber correcty your computer hids under a table so would say stick a sub under there as they aren't very directional

#165293 - 12/06/2003 12:26 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Here's the method:
PC > X10 wireless transmitter with L/R RCA jacks > X10 wireless receiver with 10W amp and spring speaker terminals > speakers.

So, as you can see, I need a way to step up the wattage after the wireless receiver, which I wasn't sure was possible. It's probably not worth it anyway, but if it was inexpensive and could possibly include an equalizer, I thought it would be worth it.

tinny
Thought so. Should have at least followed my instincts and looked it up on dictionary.com like I usually do

These speakers do sound "tinny", and I agree that a sub would improve things, but there isn't room for a computer and a sub under this table. I might be able to convince them one day...

#165294 - 12/06/2003 12:35 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The rule for spelling there is thus:
  • A silent `e' on the end of a word indicates that the previous vowel will be long (`tin' vs. `tine')
  • When adding a suffix to a noun, double the last consonant unless there's a silent `e', in which case, drop the `e' and don't double the consonant.
  • This all means that if you have a noun with a suffix, a doubled final consonant before the suffix indicates a short vowel and a single consonant indicates a long vowel
Of course, that all assumes that you recognize ``tinny'' as meaning ``like tin'' and not solely a word unto itself. Even more obscurely, it requires that you recognize ``tiny'' as meaning (at some point in the past) ``like a tine''. It also only applies to words with simple vowel-consonant endings. But such is English.

#165295 - 12/06/2003 12:36 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

PC > X10 wireless transmitter with L/R RCA jacks > X10 wireless receiver with 10W amp and spring speaker terminals > speakers.
Aha. And I'm guessing that X10 amp doesn't have any bass and treble controls.

Okay, get a relatively-cheap line-level equalizer and insert it into the line-level signal chain before the X10 transmitter.

Also, the subwoofer suggestion was a good one.

#165296 - 12/06/2003 12:50 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: Dignan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
So did you get the NXT speakers from Canford? You could build an active eq box and put it between the PC and X10 transmitter. Do you want me to look for some good designs?

Andy M

#165297 - 12/06/2003 12:56 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: andym]
andym
carpal tunnel

Should've read the other thread first... Glad the tiles have proved usefull!

Andy M

#165298 - 12/06/2003 14:15 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: andym]
andym
carpal tunnel

If your not adversed to a soldering iron... Here's a circuit that you could use to build a simple eq, the 2 band baxandall is probably the easiest because it's passive (ie it doesn't need a power supply) and there's only a dozen or so simple components.

Andy M

#165299 - 12/06/2003 17:13 Re: Extra Audio Control [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks, Tony. That might work pretty well. I'll look around for a product I like.

Andy, thanks again for the suggestion. They will work very well for the intended use.

Actually, I found a US store that deals with Wharfedale products. They didn't have any of these panels in stock, but they were able to order it for me from the one US distributor and have them shipped to me directly. Only $59 each, which is better then I would have paid for on the exchange rate at Canford.

Actually, we would have bought through Canford, and we were ready to, but the shipping would have turned out to be around 130 pounds!! It of course wasn't due to the weight, but the size was quite large.

So, thanks again! I install the speakers tomorrow