Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#197748 - 09/01/2004 20:25 streaming video to my TV
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
I just moved into my new house and one of the things I'm trying to do is "interface" all of my Audio/Video stuff together nicely. One piece that I consider part of my A/V stuff is my computer. I was wondering what you guys think is the best way to stream video from my computer to my TV. I have some AVI, DIVX and MPG files I'd like to watch elsewhere than my computer monitor. Additionally, I am looking for a convenient way to play files from my Empeg (located in the garage but with an ethernet connection to the rest of my home's LAN) on my A/V receiver? Any suggestions???

I've seen a product by AMOISONIC that connects via WiFi or wired LAN and streams to your TV, but as far as I know it doesn't support AVI or DIVX only MPG's.

I need some help from you techie types on this board, the Audio/Video guys think everything revolves around TV's and Stereo equiptment.

Thanks ahead of time.

#197749 - 10/01/2004 05:51 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: bodybag]
gui

I've mentioned this is another thread, but since it directly answers your question....

I've recently bought a KiSS DP-508 for exactly what you are describing.

http://www.kiss-technology.com/

Works great over 802.11g and there is a model without internal storage DP-500, but I wanted yet another location to backup all my music to that I could sync over night.

Also check out the forums here http://www.gooddvdstuff.com/kissdvd/index.php

Most of the posts sound like the product is rubbish, but if you are ripping your own movies rather than downloading anything and everything it is a great product.

3 mates saw mine over Christmas and ordered one on the spot - www.scan.co.uk has the best uk prices right now.

Phil

#197750 - 10/01/2004 13:24 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: bodybag]
alex25

Loc: Switzerland
I use the neuston virtuoso box for this. Have it for about 2 month and very happy with it. Costs about 250$. Information at http://www.neuston.com
There is also an open source linux implementation of the server software.

#197751 - 10/01/2004 16:33 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: alex25]
bodybag
addict

Does the Neuston Virtuoso let you play your Empeg through to your A/V setup? I suppose you could do this using the web browser in it and the JAVA Script app that allows you to contact the Empeg over the network and stream audio. Fill me in if this is the case

#197752 - 10/01/2004 18:05 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: alex25]
bodybag
addict

Oh yeah, does this unit also allow streaming audio from the internet like internet radio and special broadcasts that would normally be listened to via Media Player or other similar apps? This ability is VERY important to me, because some of the things I like to listen to are only available as streaming audio and have no downloadable archive. Thanks again!!!

#197753 - 10/01/2004 18:13 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: bodybag]
alex25

You can stream mp3's directly from the internet (shoutcast for example). But I don't think it will work with other audio formats like real audio.
You should also be able to stream from the empeg directly, but I haven't tried until now.

#197754 - 16/01/2004 12:22 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: alex25]
bodybag
addict

Alex, I'm still working on this. Could you tell me where you got your Virtuoso from? I'm having trouble even finding one. Also, had you tried to stream from your Empeg yet?

#197755 - 21/01/2004 01:43 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: bodybag]
alex25

Sorry for the delay. In the meantime I tried streaming from the empeg to the neuston box without luck. But this does not mean it is not possible. I think you just have to adapt the webpages on the empeg to do this. (I don’t need to stream from the empeg, because I have a linux fileserver running at home)

There are at least two linux implementation of the neuston server software. At the end of January there should be a official linux implementation from neuston.

I bought the box from an online shop in Switzerland called brack consulting (www.brack.ch), but I think they only deliver within Switzerland. :-)

#197756 - 31/01/2004 19:46 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: bodybag]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hm. I've been trying to find out as much as I can about this, but haven't found much info.

So since I'm no expert on this technology, lemme splain what I want to do.

I want to:

1) Backup a DVD using a program like DVD Shrink. This creates a .VOB file that seems to play back ok with Windows Media Player (but not PowerDVD for some reason)
2) Stream the movie to a device for playback on my TV in very high quality (anamorphic) and with DD5.1 or DTS.

I don't need/want wireless.

What format is the .VOB that DVD Shrink creates? Is this how you guys store your DVDs on your HDs?

I guess I could get a video card that outputs to the TV and a sound card with a digital out, and just stream from my PC... right? What's the best method for this??? All ideas appreciated.

- Jon

#197757 - 31/01/2004 22:40 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: jbauer]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I use VLC to playback VOB files (videolan.org) ... It's open source, which is always nice.

For playback, I have an ATI 9700Pro with a DVI output. I just run that into my projector and I hacked up VLC to make it so you can select a preferred display device for the video window to open on. So when I play a movie, it will always play on the second monitor.

For audio, I have a Audigy2 with SPDIF out. The catch here (that someone pointed out in another thread) is that it doesn't have an AC3 encoder on it, so you will only get AC3 output from an existing AC3 encoded source (i.e. DVD). That is, if you have a game that outputs 5.1, it won't necessarily playback 5.1 on your system unless they are software encoding it to be DD5.1.

ms

#197758 - 31/01/2004 22:54 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: mschrag]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I thinking that the Neustron box (or similar) might be a good elegant kind of solution. Can someone tell me if the .vob files can be played on it? Is it available in the US?

- Jon

#197759 - 01/02/2004 21:52 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: jbauer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
What about a Playstation 2 running BroadQ's QCast software? I suppose it's GameShrk Media something or other now that it's being exclusively distributed by MadCatz... I've seen a lot of units with pretty looking boxes, but when you lready have appropriate hardware around, it's all about a few extra bits of software.

Bruno

#197760 - 02/02/2004 04:45 Re: streaming video to my TV [Re: bodybag]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK

How about.

Mini-Itx form factor PC, with a RealMagic XCard

http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/xcard/

XBOX with Media Player installed

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/info_screens.htm

KISS DP500 - ~£150

New Linksys Product