Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#234454 - 21/09/2004 18:25 Automatic/Incremental backup software for Mac OS & Windows?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm once again painfully aware of the need to back up data. This is something I've traditionally handled in a manual fashion, but I know I'm not as diligent as I should be in that regard.

Something like a photo archive is not too difficult to do manually for me - I can just do a complete copy of my entire artwork directory tree each time. PITA but simple (running a checksum would probably be a good idea).

But for taking care of misc. files that get created or added to, day to day, on my Mac notebook, I'd really like something automatic.

What I'd really like is this: Something that would monitor a defined series of folders and while I'm connected to my network, automatically copy anything I save into those folders to a mirrored backup folder on the network. The network will be a Windows volume (I don't plan on using another Mac at home).

If not something automatic, then something I can run on a schedule to do an incremental backup. It would only copy the differences at prescribed times or manually. One way.

Any recommendations on Windows software to do the same would be great (for taking care of that digital photo scenario above )

For the Mac notebook I really need network functionality, but for the Windows software I can try something that works with local (firewire) volumes. Though network capacity would also be ideal here.

Bruno

#234455 - 21/09/2004 19:17 Re: Automatic/Incremental backup software for Mac OS & Windows? [Re: hybrid8]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I've been using Silverkeeper on my Powerbook for a while, nice and free:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14521

Does the job well. I just monted a volume when i made the backup set, and now when i run it it mounts automagically and backs up. Slick. I'm sure you can script it to do all kinds of goodies too.

#234456 - 21/09/2004 21:39 Re: Automatic/Incremental backup software for Mac OS & Windows? [Re: hybrid8]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
This may not be quite what you're after, but have a look at Retrospect. It is one of the few backup solutions that not only handles backups elegantly, but also does restores elegantly too.

There's Mac and Windows versions. It can do the usual schedules and incremental backups as well as backup two remote machines over the network, even if they're not the same platform (eg. your Mac can backup your Windows and Linux boxes).

It's US$129, but is well worth the price.

http://www.dantz.com/

#234457 - 22/09/2004 07:26 Re: Automatic/Incremental backup software for Mac OS & Windows? [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I guessing that you need something fairly straight forward and easy.

If you don't and are willing to put some work in you can use rsync to build a network incremental backup system.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

I use this to backup my local server to a remote server in a friend's house (via DSL) and I have also used it to backup my laptop when on holiday (via hotel room Internet connections).

Looks like someone has be working on some Mac specific changes to rsync as well:

http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html

#234458 - 22/09/2004 14:02 Re: Automatic/Incremental backup software for Mac OS & Windows? [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Ok, so it won't work with Mac (yet?) but I've been very happy with my 120GB Mirra box. It just deals with backing up files without any intervention at all, from your entire (PC Windows) home network. It even keeps previous versions of files, which can be a lifesaver, and allows you to selectively invite external users to access sections of your backups (eg family can browse your photo collection, even through a firewall).

Very slick, though it'd be even more slick if they offered an online locker service that the mirra box would also deal with keeping up to date....

http://www.mirra.com

#234459 - 22/09/2004 14:07 Re: Automatic/Incremental backup software for Mac OS & Windows? [Re: hybrid8]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
If not something automatic, then something I can run on a schedule to do an incremental backup. It would only copy the differences at prescribed times or manually. One way.

Duplicity won't work on WIndows but you should be able to get it to work on MacOS.

Edit: Rdiff-backup claims to work on Windows under Cygwin.

Peter

Edited by peter (22/09/2004 14:08)