Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#326564 - 06/10/2009 17:04 Microsoft SCCM Question
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Anyone use Microsoft SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) in their daily job? Uncle Google doesn't have this answer for me.

I'm using its features to push-distribute software installs to client systems on the network.

I create PACKAGE A, create a distribution, make an advertisement, and it starts on the target system.

But PACKAGE A has errors in the way it is distributed and it never actually installs. It also does not report back a failure, so it just “sticks” like it’s started installing and never finished. Client computer isn’t *doing* anything, the install program is not running. It's just that the logs show the installer started, but they don't show the installer exited.

I create PACKAGE B, create a distribution, make an advertisement, and…

Quote:
Error 10037: The program for advertisement "PACKAGE B" has not been run yet ("NMW00016" - "KB974236 - Advanced Client Patch Install"). SMS is currently running another program ("PACKAGE A" - "Per-system unattended") on this computer, and that program must complete before this one can begin.

But it’s not actually running at all! It just messed up and didn’t report back its failure.

There are no options I can find to make it “skip” or “continue” past the malfunctioning advertisement. So I delete all advertisements and packages and distributions for PACKAGE A. I see that PACKAGE A is now gone from the list of advertisements on that client. Try everything again, and…

Same error!

How do I make SCCM just ignore that one advertisement and go on to the next one?

#326565 - 06/10/2009 17:19 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

ANSWER:

REBOOT THE CLIENT COMPUTER.

Arg.

#326566 - 06/10/2009 17:23 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
smile

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Reboot.jpg

#326567 - 06/10/2009 17:24 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
C'mon Tony, that's what they teach you on day one at computer school!!!! wink

Andy M

#326568 - 06/10/2009 17:26 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: andym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I was imagining that I was in a situation where I was in a larger organization where I couldn't actually go around talking to the client machine owners and telling them to reboot.

There's gotta be a non-reboot solution there, but for now, the reboot solved my immediate problem.

#326569 - 06/10/2009 17:54 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I've read the entire thread, so I know you've fixed it, but...

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Anyone use Microsoft SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) in their daily job?

Worse than that; I write code that talks to it.

Quote:
But PACKAGE A has errors in the way it is distributed and it never actually installs. It also does not report back a failure

You probably should have seen something in the status messages for that advertisement. Did you look in the advertisement status node?

Beyond that, did you look in the log files on that client? They're in C:\Windows\System32\CCM\Logs. I can never remember which ones you need to look in, though.

Quote:
I see that PACKAGE A is now gone from the list of advertisements on that client.

How did you verify this? Did you actually look on the client, or did you just confirm the list of advertisements for the relevant collection?

Quote:
How do I make SCCM just ignore that one advertisement and go on to the next one?

Wait for a policy refresh.

#326570 - 06/10/2009 18:06 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You probably should have seen something in the status messages for that advertisement. Did you look in the advertisement status node?

Yes. That's where I see that it started the installation but never finished the installation of PACKAGE A.

Quote:
Beyond that, did you look in the log files on that client?

Mostly irrelevant. I know the installation of PACKAGE A failed. I don't care why at this point, all I care about is that I want SCCM to forget about it and go on with installing PACKAGE B.

Quote:
How did you verify this? Did you actually look on the client, or did you just confirm the list of advertisements for the relevant collection?

Right click on collection, press PROPERTIES, press ADVERTISEMENTS tab. Before I deleted the advertisement, I could see it in the tab. After deleting the advertisement, it was gone from that tab.

Quote:

Induced multiple policy refreshes by right-clicking on the collection, pressing SCCM CONFIGMGR TOOLS, and pressing REFRESH MACHINE POLICIES. Each time it gave me the same 10037 error.

Anyway, the reboot worked, and any desire to solve the problem with more finesse than that is merely an academic curiosity at this point.

#326571 - 06/10/2009 18:36 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: Roger

I despise how many Windows networking problems are "solved" by "wait".

#326572 - 06/10/2009 18:38 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, I guarantee that SCCM would make you despise Microsoft even more. Everything in that program is harder, and involves more steps, than it needs to be.

#326573 - 06/10/2009 18:40 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: wfaulk

I despise how many Windows networking problems are "solved" by "wait".

In this case, it's not a network problem. It's SCCM attempting to be scalable by having the client only pull fresh policy on a schedule. In this case, you just have to wait. Even if you manually trigger a refresh, it still doesn't do it immediately.

#326574 - 06/10/2009 19:04 Re: Microsoft SCCM Question [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In this case, it's not a network problem. It's SCCM attempting to be scalable by having the client only pull fresh policy on a schedule. In this case, you just have to wait. Even if you manually trigger a refresh, it still doesn't do it immediately.

That is, in fact, exactly what I meant, and exactly what I hate.

It's the same for AD, DNS, Exchange, et al. As an admin with more work to do than I really have time for, "wait" is a despicable answer.