Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#333481 - 29/05/2010 06:58 File and disk integrity check on windows?
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

I'm trying to find a program, but I'm not sure it exists!

I have a machine running XP with a nearly full 1TB drive, which has a number of hard read errors on sectors near the end. SMART error checking alerted me to this before it became a horrible problem, and in theory I can back up the drive, run the manufacturers disk scan tool on it, and either remap the sectors or determine the drive is faulty and get it replaced under warranty.

So I took the opportunity to upgrade the machine to a 2TB drive, and used Acronis Trueimage to clone the old drive onto the new one. It worked fine, although of course it couldn't read the bad sectors, although it DID tell me exactly which ones they were.

Now what I want to do is figure out which files, if any, were affected by the bad sectors. It seems logical that there would be a program that would allow you to find which sector mapped to which file, but as far as I have been able to find this isn't the case.

So, does anyone happen to know either of a program that will take a sector number and work out which file that sector may be occupying, or a program that will scan a disk and work out which files have bad sectors in?

pca

#333482 - 29/05/2010 08:14 Re: File and disk integrity check on windows? [Re: pca]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK