Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247199 - 23/01/2005 10:13 Tivo dead in UK?
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Will there ever be new Tivos in the UK? I look at the US Tivos and drool! Telewest are offering something to challenge Sky+ ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4194357.stm ) so maybe this will start some competition and Tivo will start production again? Heres hoping

Edited by Philip O'Hare (23/01/2005 10:13)

#247200 - 23/01/2005 11:01 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Was it ever alive in the UK in the first place?

I know somebody who's had a TIVO for over 2 years and hasn't even turned it on once!

If I were going for a PVR like device, I'd probably go for SKY plus - because you're recording the stream rather than re-encoding, and yes, I'm aware of the "crippled" nature of plus (like if you stop subscribing to the channel which you have a recording of, you can no longer playback the recording).

For TIVO like operation, MythTV seems the way to go and has the added bonus that no subscription is required for listings.

#247201 - 23/01/2005 17:07 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: sn00p]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
It looks like Sky have suddenly doubled the bit rate on channels like Sky One and Sky Mix this week. This is a welcome change in one way, a 8mbit/s picture looks nearly as good as DVD, but it does mean I'll have to think about upgrading my 40GB Sky+ disk at some point.

#247202 - 23/01/2005 18:30 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I think Sky have sewn up the multi-channel DVR market in the UK. Companies like Humax make DVRs for Freeview but most people who want a proper multichannel system invariably go for Sky. In the dozen or so places I've lived over the years only one place had cable available so I don't count that as an option.

Sky want to push Sky+ so they will never let Tivo into the satellite DVR market. Even in the US it sounds like DirecTV are trying to end their relationship with Tivo. I don't even think Tivo would make a mark in the Freeview market because most people have Freeview so they don't pay a monthly subscription which to me, sounds like Tivo's income stream. Besides Humax has a significant head start and they're also pretty cheap.

Andy M

#247203 - 23/01/2005 19:02 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andym]
andy
carpal tunnel

It was fairly obvious to me that Tivo was never going to get anywhere in the UK when at launch they were forced to use Sky as their hardware support agent in the UK (and it looks like they still do). It is a shame, I would rather have a Tivo than a Sky+ box.

#247204 - 23/01/2005 20:03 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It is a shame, I would rather have a Tivo than a Sky+ box.

Yes, I think if there was a decent Tivo system available (ie not second hand on ebay) that also worked as a sky STB too then they'd already have my money.

Andy M

#247205 - 23/01/2005 20:27 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Yea, it is such as shame Tivo is almost dead here in the UK.

I am currently putting my AV system back together and have left the Tivo out of the picture at the moment, the loss of picture quality is just too great for it to be an option in the living room. For the past few years I have used a Sony Portable, so now I have a living room to watch my bigger TV in I have suddenly noticed the quality issue.

If Tivo did a box with an inbuilt freeview tuner that would be enough to get them a fair market share. I'm not a fan of Sky+ but with the Tivo lacking in new features it is looking like one of the only solutions there will be in the future.

What I can't understand is why Sky didn't jump on Tivo from the start and offer it instead of Sky+, a customer Sky Digibox/Tivo would have been the perfect solution and would have sparked off the interest that Tivo needs to get a foothold in the market place. Ah well...

Cheers

Cris.

#247206 - 23/01/2005 20:37 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: Cris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:

What I can't understand is why Sky didn't jump on Tivo from the start and offer it instead of Sky+, a customer Sky Digibox/Tivo would have been the perfect solution and would have sparked off the interest that Tivo needs to get a foothold in the market place. Ah well...

Sky get £10 a month from us Sky+ subscribers and don't have to pay a penny of it to TiVo

They would have either have had to rip apart the TiVo UI, or throw away the Sky digibox UI. I think the fact that they have a "concise" UI that is identical on every single Sky digibox is quite a selling point for most of the people who have Sky.

#247207 - 23/01/2005 20:46 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andy]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Imagine a world where every Digibox had Tivo on, now that would have been cool!

I personally hate the Sky UI, I find it difficult to navigate, and I hate the fact the Sky Guide doesn't default to the channel I am watching, it always starts at the top, this means you can't flick down the list, see something you like, have a look, change your mind and continue in the list.

I am also spolit with Tivo, when it was set up I used the WAP interface loads of times to set recordings I had missed out, and all from my mobile phone! The web interface is kinda cool too, you can delte things really quickly and setup recordings without the restirctions of the UI.

Why is it the best ideas are not always the ones that go on to be the market leaders?

Cheers

Cris.

#247208 - 24/01/2005 00:22 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Canada has a much bigger potential market for TiVo and much cheaper rates for Guide data from TMS - TiVo aren't interested. I suspect their only reason for entering the UK was because of Sky. Though i don't know the details of the relationship, so I can't really offer any detailed opinion.

TiVo is about to get the bitch-slap of the century in North America, so I think they need to focus all their energy on staying alive, let alone trying to expand into small markets. They'll be completely shut out of the North American satellite industry and completely shut out of the CableCo-branded boxes. I've mentioned elsewhere, their only hope seems to be Cable-Card/OpenCable (alowing compatibility with multiple cable systems by using a CAM like for satellite service). But their "service" business model is going to look even more tired in the future. New boxes with software by other vendors like NDS and Digeo are also making TiVo's limited features seem rather out-dated.

Market data says they have about 2 million of the five (to six) million DVRs in the US. At least half of those are DirecTV boxes. DirecTV is about to start offering their own NDS box and you can believe they'll stop promoting and selling TiVo-equipped hardware. The NDS boxes offer a lot of features that will capture many new subscribers - TiVo doesn't have anything to compete (and will likely be locked out anyway - their DirecTV contract ends in 2007).

They were the pioneer, but seriously, they haven't innovated or significantly improved their platform in a number of years. They also didn't make the right deals when the opportunities came up. They still have their name, which is practically a synonym for DVR, but most consumers can't tell the difference, buying any box as a "TiVo"

On the PC-software front, if you're an ubber geek and like tweaking for hundreds of man hours and are interested in spending many more in Photoshop making graphics, MythTV might be an alternative. If you're just a normal computer user, or a consumer, then it's just over-hyped and clunky software that doesn't hold a light to the features nor simplicity of TiVo. Sure it's "free" -at least there's no service fees - the hardware required is far more costlier than any TiVo.

It's all very unfortunate, but it's reality. This isn't exactly the empeg scenario if anyone was thinking of drawing a parallel. In this case there are a lot of other solutions being developed and coming to market. And many f them with far more features than TiVo and with as much, or more eye candy.

Bruno

#247209 - 24/01/2005 01:11 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: hybrid8]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:

Market data says they have about 2 million of the five (to six) million DVRs in the US. At least half of those are DirecTV boxes. DirecTV is about to start offering their own NDS box and you can believe they'll stop promoting and selling TiVo-equipped hardware. The NDS boxes offer a lot of features that will capture many new subscribers - TiVo doesn't have anything to compete (and will likely be locked out anyway - their DirecTV contract ends in 2007).

Yeah but how many of the direct tv subscribers got direct tv just for the dual tuner tivo. I am probably in the minority but that was the only reason I even considered getting direct tv.

Matt

#247210 - 24/01/2005 01:51 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: msaeger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The NDS box offers a lot more than two tuners. They'll capture all the TiVo users that are not religeous about the TiVo brand and capture many more that will jump to DirecTV for the samme reason you did (box/service features).

DirecTV subscription numbers are up recently.

Bruno

#247211 - 24/01/2005 03:54 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: hybrid8]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have a feeling the PVR market will be like the car mp3 player market has been. There will be many but no one will do it they way I want so I will have to keep using the tivo forever.

Matt

#247212 - 24/01/2005 04:24 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: msaeger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Yeah but how many of the direct tv subscribers got direct tv just for the dual tuner tivo.

*raises hand*

#247213 - 24/01/2005 07:44 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: Cris]
andy
carpal tunnel

I agree with you about the Sky UI, I find it really restrictive. I would love to have simple thing like a single channel programme list when the time slots are listed vertically down the screen.

However, my Mum can use it. This is a minor miracle as she refuses to believe that she can operate anything "technical", yet she managed to get the hang of a Sky digibox without much help from me.

The Sky+ remote is also the most intuitive I have ever used. I can always find any button without looking at the remote. I don't know why it is so good, it just is (I think it might be to do with the combination of different shapes and sizes of the buttons).

#247214 - 24/01/2005 10:16 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andy]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Am I the only here that loves my TiVo? It is perfect for me as it works with cable. I've had it for over 4 years now and it has shared my journey into 3 homes. The first having sky, the second analogue cable and the third digital cable. I do wish it had twin decoders like Sky+ but sometimes it is a blessing that it doesn't. We record enough as it is. We very rarely have to endure live TV.

I paid for a lifetime subscription up-front which was a great decision seeing as how long I have had it

Picture quality is fine on mine. If only I could merge it with the xBox and the cable box it would be perfect.

Weren't Sony and Philips talking of DVD players with HDD and TiVo functionality?

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons

#247215 - 24/01/2005 10:51 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: srhodes]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I love my Tivo too, but being a sucker for new gadgets I went for the tenner-a-month option, suspecting that I'd have got the latest, greatest tivo box when it came out. It didn't, so they've probably had 500 quid out of me so far, plus 400 for the tivo originally....

I only have the 5 channels of terrestrial and it records plenty for me to keep up with.

ISTR there are Pioneer(?) combined DVD-Burner/Tivo units in the US, just none in the UK.

Hugo

#247216 - 24/01/2005 11:03 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: altman]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I love my Tivo too, but being a sucker for new gadgets I went for the tenner-a-month option, suspecting that I'd have got the latest, greatest tivo box when it came out. It didn't, so they've probably had 500 quid out of me so far, plus 400 for the tivo originally....

Same here. At the time I thought I'd just it out for a bit and see how it goes. Then I waited to see if they'd release anything new and it's been quite a few years since then.

I've spent a fair bit on the TiVo itself as well. Cachecard, 512MB DIMM and bigger HD all add up. Shame none of it was built into it at the beginning but I still really like my TiVo.

#247217 - 24/01/2005 12:58 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I hate to say it, but the more I'm reading about the NDS box, the more I'm thinking that it isn't worth hacking my DTivo to run 4.0 for the HMO option. It all comes down to the UI. I can go on and on about how nice it is to be able to hack the Tivo, but the only "hack" I've done to mine is adding another hard drive. And the only other "hack" I'm looking at door would just be giving the Tivo features that other players will already have. I guess the TivoWeb's ability to burn DVD's on my PC is the only thing that the NDS box seems to be lacking.

Another odd thing about the NDS box is that you'll basically have just one in your home. It will have 4 tuners (or more?) and will record in MPEG4 to get more use out of the hard drive. Apparently, DirecTV is launching new satellites to gradually move to MPEG4. Then, around the rest of your home, you will have "video terminals" that will have no built-in hard drive, but will be able to stream video from the main box over a fast ethernet (initially) or wireless (eventually) connection. The advantage to this would be far less coaxial cable running around the home. Music and photo sharing will be supported too.

It also appears that the main box will support HDTV whereas the terminals will only be SD at first. The theroy being that most people have one HDTV in their main viewing area and SD sets around the rest of the house. HD terminals will come later (but may require giga-ethernet?).

I guess the boxes will also be both MPEG2 and MPEG4 since these boxes will also be able to record HDTV broadcasts over the air. Toss a good UI and I'm sold! (Oh yeah, I want to be able to burn those Tori Amos appearances to DVD for my wife too).

They say this stuff will be coming to the US as soon as this year (which means summer of next year I bet). Does NDS already have a presence in the UK? Do you guys have any feedback on it? Is there any news that you too may be the same equipment? Is there any MPEG4 satellite in the UK?

#247218 - 24/01/2005 13:03 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: altman]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

[quoteISTR there are Pioneer(?) combined DVD-Burner/Tivo units in the US, just none in the UK.

Yep, there may be other models too. My brother-in-law has one and it's great. I've even used it to convert VHS tapes to DVD. It works seemlessly with the Tivo software (actually, it's PART of the Tivo software). It will even let you rip DVD's to the HD, but it goes through a converstion process and the "highest" setting seems to take up more room than the original DVD. He says it's good for when he wants to rent a few DVDs but doesn't have time to watch them all. Once the DVD's are on your hard drive, it won't let you burn them to another DVD however.

#247219 - 24/01/2005 13:07 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
but will be able to stream video from the main box over a fast ethernet (initially) or wireless (eventually) connection.

I'm really not that keen on the whole wireless everything idea. For one it's got security implications and another is do you really want all that RF floating around your house?? It may or may not be bad for you but I'd prefer to keep it minimal. I've got 802.11g in my house and I'm trying to remove most of it and just use Cat5.

Quote:
Does NDS already have a presence in the UK?

NDS has it's corporate HQ in the UK and does all the encryption for Sky Digital. It's all owned by Rupert Murdoch anyway. NDS, Sky Digital, DirecTV...

I nearly ended up working for NDS but decided working in central London would be a better long term thing.

Quote:
Is there any MPEG4 satellite in the UK?

Nope. Still MPEG2 I believe.

#247220 - 24/01/2005 13:14 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: tman]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I agree with you on the wireless thing. The more devices you have, the more trouble you have too! But tha'ts another topic.

Murdoch has only owned DirecTV for a very short time and I'm sure the merger/borging hasn't really gotten underway so that's why I was asking for experiences on your end. Except for Fox Television, he really has had no influence on the US market until now.

#247221 - 24/01/2005 13:33 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tman
carpal tunnel

Well... Going by how the Sky Digital boxes work here, anything designed by NDS will be locked down tight. Sky+ PVRs won't let you extract video and as pointed out, the stream is stored encrypted and only decrypted when you watch it. Sky/NDS won't release a CAM (Conditional Access Module) which supports the Videoguard encryption system so you're stuck with the Digiboxes they sell. You can't for example record directly to a PC using a DVB card. I'm assuming this is because they're worried it's a possible avenue for attack and copying.

Contraversally, the Sky+ boxes have the ability to disable fast forwarding during certain segments of a stream. People are worried that one day they'll wake up and find out that you can't fast forward through the adverts anymore. Alledgely they said they won't turn on this feature.

If you're happy to be the generic consumer and do exactly what they tell you to then it'll be fine. If you want to do anything different then expect serious obstacles.

#247222 - 24/01/2005 19:15 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: srhodes]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Weren't Sony and Philips talking of DVD players with HDD and TiVo functionality?

Here in Croatia Pioneer and Panasonic sell a number of HDD recorders with DVD burners. I don't know details (number of tuners etc), but it seems that some of them are networked. They sell for 700-1000€. The main drawback is lack of any program guide service, so you are back to VCR-like programming... Anyway, I am considering getting one.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#247223 - 25/01/2005 00:24 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Interesting how NDS and DirecTV already have a habit of taking one another to court!

More interesting is that the NDS/DireTV boxes were also public knowledge at the same time, months before CES.

#247224 - 25/01/2005 15:02 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I've known about the NDS box for about a year. And saw screen shots last summer sometime - they were on NDS' web site. Well before that November article was written. Can't remember where I first saw it mentioned. Might have been in one of the DirecTV or TiVo forums somewhere.

Bruno

#247225 - 28/01/2005 15:30 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andym]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
There is some hope for non-Sky subscribers though - if ITV dump Sky on digital satellite and just pay the EPG fees then Ch4 and Ch5 will follow, then there might be a market for an FTA hard drive recorder.

ITV renewed it's contract for an extra two months recently to continue negotiations but it seems likely that they will go free-to-air but with channels tailored to a card holder's region. The viewer will need to buy a card for a one-off fee and register their address, if they don't they will get ITV London. They recently complained to Ofcom about the fees that Sky wanted to charge, I guess they wanted more than they charged the BBC for a similar service.

The main problem is that people still think dish=not free, we have several Sky receivers in the house which are used without subscriptions and 99% of people have no idea that it is possible. However because the systems are free when you subscribe this means that quite often when people get cable TV they put their old system in the paper for £20 and don't realise that they are still quite sought after.

Gareth

#247226 - 28/01/2005 17:59 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: g_attrill]
andy
carpal tunnel

I've got so used to the extra channels now, going back to just the FTA ones would be a shock (even with ITV1 and C4).

#247227 - 28/01/2005 18:01 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: g_attrill]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The main problem is that people still think dish=not free

I think the problem is that it isn't as simple as buying a Freeview box and plugging it into your existing aerial. Getting a dish usually requires getting up a ladder with power drill and a compass or paying someone to do it. I've used an FTA sat receiver and found the number of channels available sorely lacking. In fact, I'd say there's better stuff on Freeview. I think if you're going to the hassle of putting a dish up, you might as well pay 13 quid and get 100-odd channels.

Andy M

#247228 - 28/01/2005 18:15 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andym]
andy
carpal tunnel

I installed a Sky box with no subscription for my mum, she gets hours of entertainement from the shopping channels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >