Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#357014 - 09/01/2013 18:48 Bought an iPhone 5...
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
...and am now stuck. smile

Transferring the contacts from my own phone worked, thought I'm a bit bummed you can't edit the contacts through iTunes.

What really got me stuck is the fact that I also own an iPad2, with lots of apps on it, both free ones and paid ones. I would now like to synch most of those apps onto my iPhone as well. You would think this would be easy. Well... either it's just so plain obvious I'm overlooking it or it's 'Apple easy' (read: not easy at all for somebody that's used Windows for more than 20 years smile Anyway, I can't seem to manage this.

Anybody know how I can do this? Preferably via cable, NOT through iCloud, using iTunes v11 (which seems a bit different than 10.X).

Thanks!

#357015 - 09/01/2013 19:01 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Why the downer on iCloud, it really is the best way to deal with iOS devices, only use iTunes for things you really need to.

#357016 - 09/01/2013 19:02 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: andy]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

iCloud only offers me 5GB of space. The total amount of apps to synch is more than that, so I don't think I can use that.

Oh yeah, another question. On my iPad, in the App store, there are six tabs (bottom of the screen). On my iPhone, there are only 5, the tab which shows me all the installed apps on my device in one long list is not there. Is it possible to make this tab appear as well?

#357017 - 09/01/2013 19:05 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

If you want to make the iPhone be almost identical to the iPad in setup, use the backup and restore feature. Through iTunes, click the Backup Now button on the iPad. Then when the iPhone is plugged in, pick Restore Backup. It's going to restore the iPhone back to factory defaults, then restore any app and setting from the iPad that is iPhone compatible.

Or if you want to just sync individual apps and not worry about settings, plug the iPhone into the computer, and there should be an Apps tab at the top. You can manage what apps to sync, coming from your local computer.

I haven't ever synced an iPhone on Windows, so I'm not sure how the contacts works. I see in Apple's help that it can sync to a number of programs. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296

I believe the same apps can sync using iCloud as well if you later want to do this. http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

If you want to sync apps in the future, you have two choices. By cable via iTunes (Download on iPad, sync to computer, then sync computer to iPhone). Or via iCloud synced downloads. (#4 on this page: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/ios.html)

#357018 - 09/01/2013 19:08 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The 5GB of space should actually work fine for you. It's a backup of all the data on your iPad only, not a full file backup including applications. Apps just end up being redownloaded from the store if you restore from an iCloud backup.

#357019 - 09/01/2013 19:16 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
If you want to make the iPhone be almost identical to the iPad in setup, use the backup and restore feature. Through iTunes, click the Backup Now button on the iPad. Then when the iPhone is plugged in, pick Restore Backup. It's going to restore the iPhone back to factory defaults, then restore any app and setting from the iPad that is iPhone compatible.

I imagine this would be a problem if the iPad is running iOS 5 and the iPhone iOS 6? I'm not really willing to upgrade the iPad to iOS 6 as well since I've jailbroken this device because I wanted a few things on it that are not available through the App Store. (like VLC, a file browser and SB Settings)

Or if you want to just sync individual apps and not worry about settings, plug the iPhone into the computer, and there should be an Apps tab at the top. You can manage what apps to sync, coming from your local computer.

This is the method I've read about online and have been trying for two hours now, but it doesn't work.
All the tutorials say : attach the iPad and synch it via the 'Apps' tab at the top of the screen. Then remove the iPad. Next, connect the iPhone and then I should be able to manage the apps to synch, but I cannot see any apps available. Maybe this is different with iTunes v11?

I believe the same apps can sync using iCloud as well if you later want to do this. http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

If all else fails I'll probably give that a try as well, but before that, I'd like to try a all other options.

If you want to sync apps in the future, you have two choices. By cable via iTunes (Download on iPad, sync to computer, then sync computer to iPhone). Or via iCloud synced downloads. (#4 on this page: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/ios.html)

The synching of new apps works very good. I tried installing a few new ones and the automagically also appear on my iPhone. It's just the ones that are already installed, more than 200 of them, that I can't seem to transfer. frown

Thanks for the help so far!

#357020 - 09/01/2013 19:16 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

You can sync contacts via iTunes. On Windows it will sync contacts with Outlook and maybe other apps between the PC and the iPhone/iPad. On OSX it will sync from the Address Book/Contacts app on OSX to the iPhone/iPad.

But you really want to sync your contacts via iCloud unless you have a very good reason not to. That way you will have them synced between the iPhone, iPad, your PC/Mac and iCloud.com (for a web UI). If you now have the contacts on the phone it is as easy as adding an iCloud account and letting it merge the contacts on the phone with iCloud.

#357021 - 09/01/2013 19:21 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Archeon

I imagine this would be a problem if the iPad is running iOS 5 and the iPhone iOS 6? I'm not really willing to upgrade the iPad to iOS 6 as well since I've jailbroken this device because I wanted a few things on it that are not available through the App Store. (like VLC, a file browser and SB Settings)

Restoring to an new version is fine. Login to iCloud on the iPad, do an iCloud backup. Reset the iPhone from Settings->General->Reset and then login to iCloud during the setup on the phone and pick the iPad iCloud backup to restore from.

Probably worth doing an iCloud backup on the iPhone before doing that though, in case you decide you want to go back to how to have it setup now.

#357022 - 09/01/2013 19:22 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: andy]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

I already made the synching of contacts work, that was pretty easy. I exported them from my Nokia with the Nokia suite software and then imported them via iTunes, saying it needed to synch the Outlook contacts. That works without a hitch.

It's just those apps that got me stumped...

#357023 - 09/01/2013 19:27 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My favorite way to sync contacts is through Google. Just synch wirelessly to my gmail account and then magically every contact updates instantly on the phone and the PC, no matter where/when I edit it.

Note: To get everything to sync the way I wanted it to, I had to tell the phone that my Gmail account was an "Exchange" account, with the server m.google.com. I use that to synch my email and contacts. I went to a lot of trouble finding out that that was the best way to do it. Saying "gmail" type account wasn't satisfactory to me for some reason. I don't remember clearly now, but I think there was some kind of limitation of how the contacts synched that made the Exchange type account more palatable over the Gmail type account.

(For Calendar, I use separate a "Gmail" type account to synch the google calendar to my phone, and that works well).

#357024 - 09/01/2013 19:31 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris

Note: To get everything to sync the way I wanted it to, I had to tell the phone that my Gmail account was an "Exchange" account, with the server m.google.com. I use that to synch my email and contacts. I went to a lot of trouble finding out that that was the best way to do it. Saying "gmail" type account wasn't satisfactory to me for some reason.

This is correct. It's also the way Google says you should do it. I also set it up like that and it works flawless.

#357025 - 09/01/2013 19:33 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Replying to myself here. I just found a -rather dumb- way to solve my apps problem.

When going into the apps store, I can re-download everything I ever installed/purchased onto the iPhone without a problem. smile As I said, it's a rather stupid way, but it does work. All it'll take is me tapping about 200 apps and a bit of patience when they download. laugh

#357026 - 09/01/2013 19:45 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

And won't be an option for much longer for new devices, Google are turning of Exchange sync for new devices soon except for paid accounts.

#357027 - 09/01/2013 19:54 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: andy]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andy
And won't be an option for much longer for new devices, Google are turning of Exchange sync for new devices soon except for paid accounts.

I heard about that. Would this also be the case for Google Apps? I'm using that as my main email address, but it's also a free version. Now you have to pay for it as well, but existing users could continue to use it for free.

And even if/when they disable it, I'm sure there'll be another way to use it with the iPhone. I doubt Google would want to kill that entire market.

#357028 - 09/01/2013 20:00 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

Not sure about the grandfathered in accounts.

It only effects Exchange, by default on iOS Google accounts use IMAP, caldav and the other dav standard whose name escapes me at the moment. You only use exchange for google on iOS if you explicitly set it up that way.

#357029 - 09/01/2013 20:01 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

The people it really hits is Windows Phone users who don't have caldav/carddav.

#357030 - 09/01/2013 22:58 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

This is the method I've read about online and have been trying for two hours now, but it doesn't work.
All the tutorials say : attach the iPad and synch it via the 'Apps' tab at the top of the screen. Then remove the iPad. Next, connect the iPhone and then I should be able to manage the apps to synch, but I cannot see any apps available. Maybe this is different with iTunes v11?

It shouldn't be different except the UI changes. I still see iTunes pull apps off my iPad or iPhone at sync time. Does your iTunes show anything when browsing Apps locally on the computer? Here's two screenshots, one showing the Apps browser in iTunes for seeing local apps. The second shows where to go to set what will sync to the iPad or iPhone.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 18.56.15.png (541 downloads)
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 18.56.56.png (235 downloads)

#357032 - 10/01/2013 02:52 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA

I heard about that. Would this also be the case for Google Apps?

Google Apps will still allow this, if I understand correctly.

Also, in order to sync Google calendar (or rather, choose additional calendars to sync) you have to go through one more step.

Edited by Dignan (10/01/2013 02:53)

#357037 - 10/01/2013 05:03 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

It shouldn't be different except the UI changes. I still see iTunes pull apps off my iPad or iPhone at sync time. Does your iTunes show anything when browsing Apps locally on the computer? Here's two screenshots, one showing the Apps browser in iTunes for seeing local apps. The second shows where to go to set what will sync to the iPad or iPhone.

The strange part is, while I was fiddling with my iPhone, my wife was busy with the iPad. Without me knowing it, she installed a couple of new apps. And, much to my surprise, these suddenly and magically showed up on my iPhone as well. smile So it does work, I can also see those three new apps in that screen you show on your first screenshot. But ONLY those three new apps and none of the "old" apps. I can see those as icons on the screengrab of the iPhones' screen (to the right of that list), but not in the list itself. Strange...

#357038 - 10/01/2013 05:08 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan

I heard about that. Would this also be the case for Google Apps?

Google Apps will still allow this, if I understand correctly.

Ah, that's reassuring and good to know, thanks!

Originally Posted By: Dignan

Also, in order to sync Google calendar (or rather, choose additional calendars to sync) you have to go through one more step.

I know, I had to jump that hurdle when I installed my iPad last year. Took me a while too to figure out back then. smile But thanks for the info anyway! smile

#357043 - 10/01/2013 09:21 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: BartDG]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Maybe you've already tried this, but after plugging the iPad into iTunes, try File|Devices|Transfer Purchases...? This in theory should copy the purchased items off the iPad into your iTunes library. Once they're in the iTunes library, they should be available for synching to the iPhone.

#357044 - 10/01/2013 11:38 Re: Bought an iPhone 5... [Re: adavidw]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: adavidw
Maybe you've already tried this, but after plugging the iPad into iTunes, try File|Devices|Transfer Purchases...? This in theory should copy the purchased items off the iPad into your iTunes library. Once they're in the iTunes library, they should be available for synching to the iPhone.

To be honest, I read about that "transferring purchases" option, but I didn't not see it anywhere. Now I know its location, I'll give it another look this everning, when I get home. Thanks!