Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#359533 - 28/08/2013 16:55 Insulting gestures in England
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The movies and television programs I've seen from England led me to believe that the common gestural insult in that locale was The Two Fingered Salute, two fingers, upward thrust, palm facing inward. The USA equivalent, The Finger, was unused in England, or so I thought.

But I just saw The World's End last night (absolutely brilliant film by the way, Pegg/Wright are amazing filmmakers), and some of the jokes in the film specifically depend upon The Finger as a cultural element.

So I'm wondering... Is the film accurate? Culturally, in England, has The Finger supplanted the Two Fingered Salute? Or were Pegg/Wright simply choosing to target the US market? If the latter, how would an English resident interpret the gesture? Or more specifically, would an English resident see the film and roll their eyes at the obvious Americanizing of the representation of English culture?

#359534 - 28/08/2013 17:32 Re: Insulting gestures in England [Re: tfabris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Sell out bastards that what I say !!!

Two finger salute all the way here in Yorkshire !!!

I would see the "American" finger as a "Fuck You!", while the two finger salute is somewhere between that and wanker as far as insults go. But I would happily punch anyone in the face if they would offer me either smile

Cheers

Cris

#359535 - 28/08/2013 17:44 Re: Insulting gestures in England [Re: tfabris]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Two fingers is not something I've seen for a while in real life or on TV.

Twenty years ago two fingers could get you a fairly visceral reaction; something tells me that it's almost quaint today. I guess context is everything.

There's enough US television that the finger is well understood and I'm sure it's used but I doubt it would get that deep reaction from many people.

Of course I may just need to get out more... laugh

#359536 - 28/08/2013 19:31 Re: Insulting gestures in England [Re: LittleBlueThing]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
Two fingers is not something I've seen for a while in real life or on TV.

Feel free to come round to my house any time you want one, I'll be more than happy to wave one to you out of the window smile

Cheers

Cris

Edited by Cris (28/08/2013 19:31)

#359540 - 29/08/2013 12:15 Re: Insulting gestures in England [Re: Cris]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK