Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#298650 - 23/05/2007 15:36 Cannot find pump 0x20 error - HELP
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
Trying to build a disk, applying disk builder image, wizard does not finish. The wizard runs through the "Finding Pump" operation then terminates with an error "Error - Couldn't Find Pump - error occurred during stage 0x20"

Any help with this would be great. Player is NEW, never used, first time out of the box and DOA, which is why I was trying to rebuild the disk to begin with.

#298651 - 23/05/2007 16:03 Re: Cannot find pump 0x20 error - HELP [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Pump errors are commonly one of a few possible things:

- Serial port or serial cable trouble
- A corrupted ".upgrade" file
- Disk or IDE cable/header trouble

If the player is DOA out of the box, then it's probably the usual disk trouble.

#298652 - 23/05/2007 16:22 Re: Cannot find pump 0x20 error - HELP [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

The player accepted new player software and is operating perfectly now. For some reason the disk builder wouldn't work, but it was probably due to a corrupt upgrade file.

#298653 - 23/05/2007 16:48 Re: Cannot find pump 0x20 error - HELP [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

... or disk/cable/header trouble that's intermittent.

#298654 - 23/05/2007 20:11 Re: Cannot find pump 0x20 error - HELP [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

Can it be because the player didn't have a developer image on it? I'm thinking that was the problem.

#298655 - 23/05/2007 22:13 Re: Cannot find pump 0x20 error - HELP [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

No, the developer image is not required to use the disk builder. In fact, you have to do them the other way 'round if it's a fresh disk.

#298656 - 24/05/2007 00:45 Re: Cannot find pump 0x20 error - HELP [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

Well for some reason, when I start with a developer image on the player and I apply the disk builder it builds with no problems. Disk after disk, no issues. If I apply a consumer image and then go to apply the disk builder I get the same crash every time, completely repeatable. flash the kernel with v2.01 developer and I can go right back to building disks if I want... go figure?

Coudl it be because the disks I'm building are already formatted for the player, and the consumer sofware doesn't allow the use of Hyperterminal?

I had a few spare disks so I spent a while formatting/wiping them for the player this afternoon, that's how I got a chance to test this. Most of them, if not all of them, had various versions of player software on them becasue they were take-outs from HD upgrades.

#298657 - 24/05/2007 15:05 Re: Cannot find pump 0x20 error - HELP [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Coudl it be because the disks I'm building are already formatted for the player, and the consumer sofware doesn't allow the use of Hyperterminal?

No, the consumer software allows the use of hyperterminal just fine. It just doesn't let you drop to the shell prompt. But the disk builder software doesn't use the shell. In fact, it engages itself long before the shell prompt even has a chance to be a factor.

The disk builder hooks in at the very first moment the player boots from the protected flash. The protected flash is the boot process that puts up the very first text on the serial port, the "speak now or forever hold your peace..." message. It literally doesn't even get to the point of loading the kernel, let alone any player software on the disk.

I understand your description of how you reproduced this multiple times. It just doesn't make any sense to me: The part of the system that the disk builder connects to is the part that didn't get changed between all of the different things you did.

I can think of only one reason this might happen: If you were trying to apply the disk builder without first pulling the power from the player. To apply the disk builder correctly, you should do things in exactly this order:
- Remove power from the player.
- Run the disk builder.
- Wait until the disk builder prompts you to apply the power.
- Only then do you apply the power.

But even if you didn't do those steps, even if your player was playing music a the time you tried to apply the disk builder, it should (in theory) have rebooted anyway, and still gotten to that protected flash boot. The builder wouldn't even try starting up and wouldn't even reach the pump stage if it hadn't seen that protected flash message. So even then I still don't see how you could have gotten the pump error with Consumer but not Developer.

This is a puzzler.