Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#245903 - 08/01/2005 21:14 Emptriv Locks up
Redrum
old hand

Ok, I got emptriv working with the latest version of preinit (it didn't want to work with Mark's @MENUEXEC) and now when I get an answer right it locks up. I also have to do a "kill" on emptriv if I want to update the config.ini through emplode. Otherwise an update to config.ini just doesn’t (another sob story). I know emptriv is designed to work at boot (watches for hijack) but does anyone know why it is locking my player when I enter a right answer in the game? (which is 20% of the time , as any good monkey can do that on a multiple guess)

Other games…
empsoko, empPacman, and emptris work great by launching them through a shell script by using @MENUEXEC. I start them all at once and then run them through a their respective menu items that get added when they are executed. Launching them through @MENUEXEC keeps them from sucking resources all the time. These games insert into the menu and work great.

#245904 - 10/01/2005 01:28 Re: Emptriv Locks up [Re: Redrum]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Woo, an emptriv bug report!

/me reminisces about the good ol' days of empeg hacking, when it was really, really hard...

Okay, back to the lecture at hand. emptriv is very, very old. The Hijack APIs that I used back then have changed significantly, as you noticed when MENUEXEC didn't work.

I can't think of a specific reason why it would lock up as soon as you get a question right, but I'll do some thinking about it. Really though, I have been wanting to re-write emptriv to use the REAL empeg player fonts (the ones in emptriv are really ugly and not anti-aliased like the ones in emphatic are.) At that time, if there's any bug related to getting a question right, I'll certainly work it out during the development.

As to when that happens, I cannot say at tihs point. Sorry.

#245905 - 10/01/2005 17:59 Re: Emptriv Locks up [Re: tonyc]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I'd love to have an updated version...I'm a trivia junkie. Good luck getting some free time in the near future.:)

#245906 - 10/01/2005 19:47 Re: Emptriv Locks up [Re: tonyc]
Redrum
old hand

Thanks for your help with this. I think this app will be great on trips with the family!

Yes, the font (or something) that shows the correct answer doesn't seem to display right or something else is amiss. The right answer always looks like an "@".

Also when you are presented with choices the "A" answer shows up as a number like "2" or something.

Thanks for listing the source code. I was thinking about trying to disable the "waitmenu" thing so it would hopefully work with the @MENU stuff but I guess I will need to find/buy a compiler.